Thread: Hi-point 45

Hi-point 45

Have heard lots of feedback on YouTube for and against. Anyone have one on this site with an opinion?

No clue about the .45, the 9mm is a great value (from what I know they are identical design wise). For 150-170 bucks you really cant get anything else with the same capabilities.

Pro's
    Cheap
    Effective
    accurate

Cons
    Single stack mag and hard to load ammo, very stiff springs when new.
    Blowback operation (kinda heavy recoil for the caliber)
    heavy and blocky

The one I shot I put a few hundred rounds through it, it did not like some of the ammo I used (dont remember what brands) but then again that is true of some pistols 5 times this cost so whatever.

They are good guns for the cost. If this is going to be your first pistol, I may advise to save up a bit longer and buy something else if the cons bother you, otherwise use that money on more ammo!
    Last edited by Xulld; 03-16-2012 at 01:56 PM.

They're pretty damn ugly but I haven't heard any complaints about their reliability. If it's what you can afford, I say go for it.
    "When seconds count between living or dying, the police are only minutes away."

Quote Originally Posted by thebigsd View Post
    They're pretty damn ugly but I haven't heard any complaints about their reliability. If it's what you can afford, I say go for it.
    Yup. Fired the .45 version, owned by a buddy- accurate, reliable, fed all the ammo he had for it without a prob.
    Not the prettiest things, clunky, boxy, and heavy, but- those who I've known to own em, have had nothing negative to say about them otherwise.
    Might make for a great 'round-the-yard gun for when outside working around the home. Not something you will have to worry about getting banged around, scuffed, wet, dirty, etc. Like, with a higher-end gun.

Just what are you planning on using it for??

I have the 9 and 45, bought them just for the hell of it, now they live in a cold damp shop.

They seem to work ok, they don't like hollow points very much.

I have the 9mm carbine, and love it. Lifetime warranty no matter what un-godly thing you do to it. The only thing not covered is theft, or loss.
    "The beauty of the Second Amenment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it." Thomas Jefferson
    "Evil often triumphs, but never conquers." Joseph Roux
    http://nwfood.shelfreliance.com

The JHP .45 is both pin-point accurate and battle grade reliable. But in no way is it a carry gun.

Every drawback posted above is true.

However, any gun is better than no gun.
    Total ignorance: an Obama supporter's stock in trade
    Quote Originally Posted by Beretta92FSLady View Post
    All the talk about Overthrowing Big Government, Revolution, etc., it's just another one of those nostalgic ideas that individuals have idealized.
    O RLY?
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...and_rebellions
    Books are overrated; and so is history.

Quote Originally Posted by George Mann View Post
    The JHP .45 is both pin-point accurate and battle grade reliable. But in no way is it a carry gun.
    Cause of weight, lack of capacity or the reliability factor?

Just curious, I have my XD9 that I love but thought about picking up a Hi-Point at some point for shiggles if I have some spare cash.

Thanks all

It wouldn't be my first pistol. Have a Makarov, Walther P!, and an S&W Model 46 I can shoot almost as well as Mel Gibson in Lethal Weapon The S&W is a .22 witha looong barrel - not a carry pistol. The other 2 I am having a hard time changing mags in anything close to "fast". The bottom release is awkward, and throw in me being a lefty just makes it more interesting.

As far as it not being pretty...no worries - neither am I.

Just out of curiosity, why couldn't it be a carry gun?
    "When seconds count between living or dying, the police are only minutes away."

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by thebigsd View Post
    Just out of curiosity, why couldn't it be a carry gun?
    Especially in an OC forum!
    All the talk about Overthrowing Big Government, Revolution, etc., it's just another one of those nostalgic ideas that individuals have idealized.
    O RLY?

Campaign Veteran Glock9mmOldStyle's Avatar

Yep! +1

In my house we own many "higher end pistols" but for the money you can't beat them. We have two of the JHP (45acp) and the 4595 Carbine. All very reliable [on par with and even better then some other well known "name brand 45's". As far as capacity is concerned 9+1 is more than most 45's. *** Bonus = if you are handy the Pro Mag mod. COL-A5 is easily modified by simply bending up the cut-out for the mag release, thus giving you a 15+1 45ACP, for under $200, with a lifetime transferable warranty!
    If I hiked, climbed hills {we don't have Mtns in lower MI } , roughed around in the brush/swamp I'd carry a Hi-Point. Why? Should it fall down a 50ft hill side or be lost in a swamp, I'm not crying over losing or damaging a $500 to infinity priced 45 pistol. Hi-Points are not the best choice for EDC and their bulk limits carry to OC for the most part. Most people who buy them use them as a nightstand gun, truck gun, boat gun etc.. but they are inexpensive, reliable, accurate guns in my experience. My HP 9mm is more accurate than my G17 (Argh.. even with fancy Trijicon night sights on it). The Sheer mass of the HP dampens felt recoil making it easier for many shooters to stay on target.

Video & reviews.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zuAa7bvb-1k [accuracy]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Kr0b...eature=related [User in depth review]

http://www.shootingtimes.com/2011/01...ipoint_100605/ [2011 ShootingTimes review]

http://www.gunweek.com/2006/feature0120.html [2006 GunWeek review]
    Last edited by Glock9mmOldStyle; 03-17-2012 at 02:04 AM. Reason: links
    “A government that does not trust it’s law-abiding citizens to keep and bear arms is itself unworthy of trust.” James Madison.

“Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the peoples' liberty's teeth.” “The very atmosphere of firearms anywhere and everywhere restrains evil interference - they deserve a place of honor with all that's good.” George Washington

Quote Originally Posted by Glock9mmOldStyle View Post
    In my house we own many "higher end pistols" but for the money you can't beat them. We have two of the JHP (45acp) and the 4595 Carbine. All very reliable [on par with and even better then some other well known "name brand 45's". As far as capacity is concerned 9+1 is more than most 45's. *** Bonus = if you are handy the Pro Mag mod. COL-A5 is easily modified by simply bending up the cut-out for the mag release, thus giving you a 15+1 45ACP, for under $200, with a lifetime transferable warranty!
    If I hiked, climbed hills {we don't have Mtns in lower MI } , roughed around in the brush/swamp I'd carry a Hi-Point. Why? Should it fall down a 50ft hill side or be lost in a swamp, I'm not crying over losing or damaging a $500 to infinity priced 45 pistol. Hi-Points are not the best choice for EDC and their bulk limits carry to OC for the most part. Most people who buy them use them as a nightstand gun, truck gun, boat gun etc.. but they are inexpensive, reliable, accurate guns in my experience. My HP 9mm is more accurate than my G17 (Argh.. even with fancy Trijicon night sights on it). The Sheer mass of the HP dampens felt recoil making it easier for many shooters to stay on target.

Video & reviews.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zuAa7bvb-1k [accuracy]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Kr0b...eature=related [User in depth review]

http://www.shootingtimes.com/2011/01...ipoint_100605/ [2011 ShootingTimes review]

http://www.gunweek.com/2006/feature0120.html [2006 GunWeek review]

Hey, how is that carbine version? Been back/forth with myself debating getting one for a long time.
    IF any local shops ever get one, all they ever seem to have are the 9mm carbines..

Campaign Veteran Glock9mmOldStyle's Avatar

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by j4l View Post
    Hey, how is that carbine version? Been back/forth with myself debating getting one for a long time.
    IF any local shops ever get one, all they ever seem to have are the 9mm carbines..
    Love it! Shoots straight and nice thing is the mags are interchangeable with the 45 pistols. Picked mine up for the low price of $299.99 with the TS stock and folding fore grip. Next I'm going to start decking it out: light laser combo, but I really like the iron sights on it. I think I'll just leave them alone.
    “A government that does not trust it’s law-abiding citizens to keep and bear arms is itself unworthy of trust.” James Madison.

“Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the peoples' liberty's teeth.” “The very atmosphere of firearms anywhere and everywhere restrains evil interference - they deserve a place of honor with all that's good.” George Washington

The reason this gun is not ideal for open carry is it's weight, and the fact that it's only safety is a primitive seer block.

The reason this gun is not ideal for open carry is it's weight, and the fact that it's only safety is a primitive seer block.
    There are plenty of good OC guns that have no safety at all. Safe gun handling skills and a proper holster are the only safeties one needs.

As far as weight goes, I OC a 1911. For some people, that's too heavy. I know people that OC giant revolvers that make my pistol look small. More weight generally helps to absorb large-caliber recoil. Since you don't have to worry about trying to conceal it, why not?
    O RLY?