• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Houston, Conroe areas

Jack House

Anyone ever live in or around those areas? I have a chance to get the hell out of Bastrop, but I'm not so sure that I want to move to that area.

Kirbinator

You're from a town of 5,000 expecting to move to a town of 250,000? Expect a culture shock. Also, do it. It will change your life.

Cities are made to bring people together.

Jack House

I'm from Austin, actually. 250k? Houston is 8 times that, Conroe is about a fifth.

While I have lived in this sorry town for like 10 years, before that my family moved around a lot. So I'm looking forward to the differences. I'm just not so thrilled about moving to the Houston. I'm not a fan of Houston, like at all. I'm kind of conflicted as to where I want to live. Half of me wants to live in town, the other half wants to live in the country again. I don't live in the country now, I live in town. But I have in the past lived in the country.

PrayingForWar

Founder's Club Member
I'm from Austin, actually. 250k? Houston is 8 times that, Conroe is about a fifth.

While I have lived in this sorry town for like 10 years, before that my family moved around a lot. So I'm looking forward to the differences. I'm just not so thrilled about moving to the Houston. I'm not a fan of Houston, like at all. I'm kind of conflicted as to where I want to live. Half of me wants to live in town, the other half wants to live in the country again. I don't live in the country now, I live in town. But I have in the past lived in the country.

What's wrong with Bastrop? It has a much lower quantity of hippies than Austin.

Jack House

Bastrop is also plagued by old people stuck in the 20s. The 1920s, also probably their 20s. They do a terrible job of running the city, what little there is to do here, they help run into the ground. What's in Bastrop? A million and one banks, also 2 hotels for every bank.

We had a theater, then it went bankrupt cause the guys running it were morons. Now we have a bar and a few stores. But if you want to go do something that isn't drinking and also isn't shopping at Wal-Mart or Home Depot, you really gotta go to Austin. Bastrop is a quaint little town, I'll give it that. It'd be a nice place to live if I had gas money to get back and forth from Austin whenever I wanted. And if I had my own house. It's a small quiet town. But I don't have gas money. So my only options to go out and do anything, is either swim in the empty, sludge filled, green river or hit up the bar down town. Not that living in a small town outside of Houston will be that much different. But again, I'm accustomed to moving a lot, so it's long past due.

I also have a lot of bad memories here, starting over might just give me a chance to put a lot of that behind me. On the bright side, if I move to Conroe, one of my friends might follow me. Her sister lives there and she was talking about moving out there anyway, but decided to stick around with us. So it would be a fresh start, while also allowing me to have atleast one friend out there. Makes things a bit easier. Houston is my best chance for moving out of Bastrop anytime soon. I have a job interview out there which I have no doubt that I can secure an offer from. I also have a friend out there I can stay with till I'm able to find my own place.

PrayingForWar

Founder's Club Member
Bastrop is also plagued by old people stuck in the 20s. The 1920s, also probably their 20s. They do a terrible job of running the city, what little there is to do here, they help run into the ground. What's in Bastrop? A million and one banks, also 2 hotels for every bank.

We had a theater, then it went bankrupt cause the guys running it were morons. Now we have a bar and a few stores. But if you want to go do something that isn't drinking and also isn't shopping at Wal-Mart or Home Depot, you really gotta go to Austin. Bastrop is a quaint little town, I'll give it that. It'd be a nice place to live if I had gas money to get back and forth from Austin whenever I wanted. And if I had my own house. It's a small quiet town. But I don't have gas money. So my only options to go out and do anything, is either swim in the empty, sludge filled, green river or hit up the bar down town. Not that living in a small town outside of Houston will be that much different. But again, I'm accustomed to moving a lot, so it's long past due.

I also have a lot of bad memories here, starting over might just give me a chance to put a lot of that behind me. On the bright side, if I move to Conroe, one of my friends might follow me. Her sister lives there and she was talking about moving out there anyway, but decided to stick around with us. So it would be a fresh start, while also allowing me to have atleast one friend out there. Makes things a bit easier. Houston is my best chance for moving out of Bastrop anytime soon. I have a job interview out there which I have no doubt that I can secure an offer from. I also have a friend out there I can stay with till I'm able to find my own place.

We're getting a buc-cees...

:lol:

I can understand, my wife feels the same way. She's accustomed to quick commutes to a mall, an abundance of resturants, night life, ETC. She does like the quiet place we live in though, and prefers the kids grow up where we are. For me Bastrop suits my needs. Everything I want is at Wal-Mart, HEB or LOWES, and I've heard rumors Academy Sports will be opening a store soon. It's close enough to Austin where I work so that fuel doesn't kill me, it sucks to have to spend $60 a week on it but it spares me from having to live in a metropolis full of morons with obozo stickers on their stupid slow poke hybrid cars. The handful of those idiots we still see in Bastrop is too many as it is.

Good luck with the job, and I hope you find a decent place too settle for a while.

rodbender

Houston is a very big cesspool. Conroe however is a much smaller one. Conroe was really not that bad when I lived in Houston (All my life till '95). I have an old school friend that lives in the Conroe area.

PrayingForWar

Founder's Club Member
Houston is a very big cesspool. Conroe however is a much smaller one. Conroe was really not that bad when I lived in Houston (All my life till '95). I have an old school friend that lives in the Conroe area.

I will say one thing about the parts of Houston I have seen recently, a lot less obozo stickers on cars than you see in Austin. They must not use excessive flouride in the water or something.

BTW Rod, let me know if you got my PM responses. I think my box is jacked up.

Last edited:

Jack House

Close enough, I'm in Smithville.
Ahhh yes, I remember you saying this now.

Yeah, I'm concerned mostly that if I move out there, I know I'll be stuck for a little while, and if I end up hating the area as much or more than where I live now, it would have been an exercise in futility.

I will say one thing about the parts of Houston I have seen recently, a lot less obozo stickers on cars than you see in Austin. They must not use excessive flouride in the water or something.
Were any of those areas refugee country? ;)

CrimsonSoul

Plenty of "country" within driving distance of Houston. West Columbia, Danbury, richwood all an hours drive or less (these are all south of Houston)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PrayingForWar

Founder's Club Member
Ahhh yes, I remember you saying this now.

Yeah, I'm concerned mostly that if I move out there, I know I'll be stuck for a little while, and if I end up hating the area as much or more than where I live now, it would have been an exercise in futility.

Were any of those areas refugee country? ;)

I'm not sure where "refugee country" is there, but it wasn't especially ghetto.