• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Visiting Alabama; any tips?

DrakeZ07

Hey guys, Wondering if you all have any tips for Kentuckian making a lil get-a-way in Mobile, AL for a few days this upcoming week, since the weather seems to be perfect, and my travel plans fit well, anything I should know about your Firearms laws? OC allowable by non-Residents? Does AL recognize a Kentucky CCDW? Any restrictions on where I can keep my sidearm while driving? As in, glovebox only/loaded/unloaded/locked and boxed... etc?

Oh, and I'd appreciate any tips or advice for any fun, relaxing things to do; Beaches, relaxing, nightlife, and food places would be awesome, via PM or response.

Leaving Sunday morning, and hope to get there Sunday night; also, any "safe" areas to lodge at? And any areas I should stay away from?

Thanks guys~

-Drake.

FTG-05

Short version:

- OC is legal in AL and does not require a permit (see exception below) but you may be harassed by ignorant or power hungry LEO's
- KY CC valid in AL and you'll need a CC to carry concealed (duh) and while in a vehicle, regardless of carry.

Longer version:

- http://www.usacarry.com/concealed_carry_permit_reciprocity_maps.html
- http://opencarry.org/opencarry.html
- http://alabamaopencarry.com/forum/index.php

Legal version:

- http://ago.alabama.gov/Page-Gun-Reprocity-Law

Good luck and have a great time!

Last edited:

Brimstone Baritone

Mobile is really close to both Florida (where OC is only legal if fishing or hunting, but your KY permit is honored) and Mississippi (not sure about OC, but your KY permit is honored). Just keep that in mind if you drive around much while you're down there.

DrakeZ07

awesome, thankies for the law citing, and the info~

Hope we dont have to make use of the CCDW, Prefer to OC when possible~ :D

Utah_Patriot

Hey I will be in Aniston for Two weeks in July looking to meet up on a weekend. Hoping to get in some open carry.

I have a valid Utah concealed carry permit and hope to meet some members from Alabama who open carry on a regular basis.

What places do I need to stay away from with my ccp like bars schools just want to get home to Utah without a court date.

Questions 8014487574

Utah_Patriot

Excited to visit

Excited to visit Aniston Alabama and plan on meeting other like minded people who open carry will be Available if anyone wants to meet between July 20- July 21 if anyone is willing to meet up.

ickthus

Excited to visit Aniston Alabama and plan on meeting other like minded people who open carry will be Available if anyone wants to meet between July 20- July 21 if anyone is willing to meet up.

Google CMP "civilian marksmanship program". Please go and have a Garand time.

ALOC1911

Since you're gonna be in the area on the right day you should check this out while you're down here. Get your money to Eddie and stop by. We'd love to have you join us at the biggest OC meetup ever in state.

PS don't forget to bring your gun and OC it if you like.

Last edited:

FTG-05

Since you're gonna be in the area on the right day you should check this out while you're down here. Get your money to Eddie and stop by. We'd love to have you join us at the biggest OC meetup ever in state.

PS don't forget to bring your gun and OC it if you like.

I don't see a link, so assuming this is what you're talking about: http://alabamaopencarry.com/forum/index.php?topic=3808.0

"This will be the biggest Gun Rights/Freedom/Open Carry meet up ever in the State of Alabama. This is as grass roots as it gets guys. Doors will open at the Northport Civic Center at 10am on July 21st and the first class, “Handgun self Defense” will start at 10:30am. At about 11:15 “Gun Law in the State of Alabama” will start. Both classes will be repeated after lunch and the Main event starting about 2:30 and last about 30 minutes each. We are limited to about 50 “Students” for each class and it’s first come first serve. The event is catered so your lunch will be provided.
We’ll eat our catered lunch (barbeque chicken, pork, beans, cole slaw, potato salad, tea and nanner puddin), at 12 sharp. At 1pm we’ll start the Main Event. Our main speaker will be John Monroe from Atlanta. John’s a Lawyer, the VP of Georgia Open Carry and has handled many gun related cases. You won’t be disappointed here.
To get your name on the “Guest” list you must get me $15 for each person attending. You can do that by mailing it to Eddie Fulmer 4409 Oak Meadow Drive Northport, Alabama 35473, or you can see me at our monthly meeting at Dreamland next month, or you can send it via paypal to efulmer@aol.com and mark the payment as a gift. Motels are available in the area if you need an over night stay."

More at the link above.

Another link, same subject: https://www.facebook.com/events/247307995368843/

Last edited:

Utah_Patriot

Not familiar with Aniston area but hope to get a feel for the city.

Just been studying the laws just in case I run into problems.

also looking at jobs and different places to see while I am their.

Questions 8014487574

SMSgte8

Selma AL.

Was stopped by 2 LEO's in Selma AL and was told that OC was not legal in AL, to put it away before some rookie cop wanted to get over zealous with me. They were polite but I did not want to get detained so I concealed it and went on my way.

ALOC1911

Not only did they lie to you they also broke this law.

[h=5]Section 13A-6-25[/h][h=4]Criminal coercion.[/h](a) A person commits the crime of criminal coercion if, without legal authority, he threatens to confine, restrain or to cause physical injury to the threatened person or another, or to damage the property or reputation of the threatened person or another with intent thereby to induce the threatened person or another against his will to do an unlawful act or refrain from doing a lawful act.
(b) Criminal coercion is a Class A misdemeanor.

These officers had no legal authority to coerce you into refraining from doing a lawful act. They are guilty criminals and ignorance of the law is no excuse especially when they are paid to enforce the law.

Last edited:

SMSgte8

Not only did they lie to you they also broke this law.

[h=5]Section 13A-6-25[/h][h=4]Criminal coercion.[/h](a) A person commits the crime of criminal coercion if, without legal authority, he threatens to confine, restrain or to cause physical injury to the threatened person or another, or to damage the property or reputation of the threatened person or another with intent thereby to induce the threatened person or another against his will to do an unlawful act or refrain from doing a lawful act.
(b) Criminal coercion is a Class A misdemeanor.

These officers had no legal authority to coerce you into refraining from doing a lawful act. They are guilty criminals and ignorance of the law is no excuse especially when they are paid to enforce the law.

Thanks for the reply and information. Did not want to pursue it at the time since the wife and I were with others and on our way to a Rally in LA. If it happens again I will definitely question their actions and take appropriate legal action. Thanks again.