• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

The Police Can't Help Us

Steeler-gal

"Authorities say the last message they want battered women to take from this is that they cannot protect them. The sheriff says the data very clearly show that women who go for help are far safer that those who try to tough it out alone."

I know most of us already know this but I don't see this in print very often. They admit they can't help us and then state that the best solution is to "go for help." They still expect us to go through the system knowing it won't help.

http://wusa9.com/news/article/196623/189/Criminal-Record-Of-Philip-Joseph-Gilberti-Alleged-Killer-Of-Heather-Lynn-McGuire-May-Have-Been-Missed-By-Judge

09jisaac

"Authorities say the last message they want battered women to take from this is that they cannot protect them. The sheriff says the data very clearly show that women who go for help are far safer that those who try to tough it out alone."

I know most of us already know this but I don't see this in print very often. They admit they can't help us and then state that the best solution is to "go for help." They still expect us to go through the system knowing it won't help.

I think that they're trying to say that they CAN help the battered women. That they want to women to come to them because "data very clearly show that women who go for help are far safer than those who try to tough it out."

Steeler-gal

I think that they're trying to say that they CAN help the battered women. That they want to women to come to them because "data very clearly show that women who go for help are far safer than those who try to tough it out."

And yet again and again we hear of women who get killed by the very man who they have an RO against. Yeah, the system works really well.

Steeler-gal

She and her husband headed to another court hearing Tuesday morning
I don't know why the media isn't reporting the truth on this either.
I have a friend in law enforcement who told me that they were not traveling together. He followed her, dragged her into his truck and then shot her and dumped her. They make it sound like she was willingly with him that morning and that just isn't the truth.

hermannr

http://wusa9.com/news/article/196623/189/Criminal-Record-Of-Philip-Joseph-Gilberti-Alleged-Killer-Of-Heather-Lynn-McGuire-May-Have-Been-Missed-By-Judge

The husband may not have needed a gun, but the gal sure did. Lot cheaper for the state too, now they have to prosecute a murder, and house, feed, clothe, medical care, supervise when he gets out etc etc...MD needs to change their laws (oh yes, a judge just did that...but it didn't help this gal.)

May I add: we had a case here in WA, were a gal murdered her husband and went to battered woman bit...but was lying..she just flat out premeditated murdered him for insurance money. She was really stupid, she shot him in the back, among other things wrong with her story..like she was living in California with another man, and came back to WA to do the deed.

So, we have to be careful on how we judge these cases. The one in MD is obvious, the gal needed help, either from the state, or old Sam Colt.

Last edited:

Nebraska12

Computers down? That excuse doesn't even work in college...and it never cost anyone their life. Absolutely ridiculous.

Sent using America's nonexistent 4g network - Sprint.

Steeler-gal

I took it as a murder suicide.

Yeah it was.

==========================================
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
Looking for training by experienced staff?
We are the largest all female only firearms group on the East Coast offering firearms training courses and services provided by our experienced and certified female instructors.
http://www.shecanshoot.com/

davidmcbeth

Banned
"computers were down" , yea, right. Vote the judge out if you wish -- its an example of why i still support voting for judges ... if he's appointed talk to the judge (who is voted into office) to remove him.

sweetnsauer

And yet again and again we hear of women who get killed by the very man who they have an RO against. Yeah, the system works really well.

But if you go and file a report, get a restraining order and you end up having to shoot the bastard, chances are you will be cleared of all charges on grounds of self-defense. If you never seek help or report it then shoot your husband or boyfriend (or ex-whatever), you may not be getting off so easy.

Steeler-gal

But if you go and file a report, get a restraining order and you end up having to shoot the bastard, chances are you will be cleared of all charges on grounds of self-defense. If you never seek help or report it then shoot your husband or boyfriend (or ex-whatever), you may not be getting off so easy.

That's a good point

==========================================
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
Looking for training by experienced staff?
We are the largest all female only firearms group on the East Coast offering firearms training courses and services provided by our experienced and certified female instructors.
http://www.shecanshoot.com/