• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

This is how to handle an interaction...

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
If a cop withdraws to confer with anybody who is not physically at the scene you can pretty much guarantee they already know they are on shakey ground at best.

Some states do have "stop and ID" laws that require you to produce your identity document. Other states have laws that merely require you to state your true name and place of residence when asked to ID yourself to the cops. It's important to know what your state's law says. Not even going to open up the can of worms that goes with some states' requirement to have a permission slip to OC.

stay safe.

amzbrady

If a cop withdraws to confer with anybody who is not physically at the scene you can pretty much guarantee they already know they are on shakey ground at best.

Some states do have "stop and ID" laws that require you to produce your identity document. Other states have laws that merely require you to state your true name and place of residence when asked to ID yourself to the cops. It's important to know what your state's law says. Not even going to open up the can of worms that goes with some states' requirement to have a permission slip to OC.

stay safe.

All those state rule, laws, and regulations are probably being discussed in their own individual forums. Check em out for us and keep us posted.

wrightme

stay safe.

All those state rule, laws, and regulations are probably being discussed in their own individual forums. Check em out for us and keep us posted.

Further, MOST of those only come in to play AFTER there is 'reasonable suspicion' of a crime either in progress, or completed. Otherwise, stating your name upon request/demand isn't necessary or required by law; though cops may believe it is, and/or try to get the subject to believe it is required.

Stretch

Interesting that the officer went from asking for a permit, to identification, to a DL, to asking his age. The officer never asked the guy to identify himself by name (which may or may not be required where he lives anyway). The funny thing is, the guy behind the camera seemed prepared to defend that question with the one he asked anyway about the nature of the officer's inquiry.

BigDave

Opt-Out Members
These videos appear to be more about how to go looking for a conflict with law enforcement instead of dealing with law enforcement encounters as ones goes about their normal daily routine.

BigDave

Opt-Out Members
You sound like ex-leo.

LOL, do you really feel these encounters would have occurred unless the open carrier approached and made contact?
I am not saying all the information in these videos do not have some value but feel it was sought after instead of normal daily contact.

sudden valley gunner

Why shouldn't citizens proactively police the police?

These guys did good. Notice how the cops in the 2nd video break the law by trying to coerce the OC'er into surrendering his ID.

amzbrady

Now days the camera can be a better weapon when it comes to LEO. If not for the camera, these interactions could have gotten violent as alot have. We need a can defend law here when it comes to LEO. I dont like the idea an officer can come up on an open carrier with a firearm drawn down on them. Why can LEO brandish against a law abiding citizen with a lawfully holstered firearm. LEO needs some serious retraining and new regulations set upon them. They are litterally getting away with MURDER now days.

sudden valley gunner

Who watches the watchers....WE watch the watchers.
Aren't officers there to serve the people and are we not the People?

Exactly and it's why Amzbrady said the other poster sounded like a cop. Do some people go about it in a way I would yep, but it isn't "confrontational" (police boiler plate word on just about every report I have read where a civilian took a stance for rights) to proactively police the police.

Mainsail

After watching the first video, I would disagree that it represents the proper way to handle the situation. It demonstrates the WRONG way. The person making the video was not just going about his day to day business while open carrying a handgun, but rather was looking to create a confrontation where there wasn't one already while open carrying a handgun. While it's true the cop was off base, the 'victim' was looking for drama. That was never what the open carry movement was about here in Washington.

Which segues nicely into why doing what that guy did might not be such a good idea here in Washington. Approaching a police encounter already in progress while OC would certainly fall close enough to the time/place/manner/circumstance to get you arrested, and close enough that you'll never recover any $$$ even if they decline to prosecute.

Beside that, he waited a full minute after the encounter began to ask if the officer was detaining him.

Last edited:

1911er

some situations

After watching the first video, I would disagree that it represents the proper way to handle the situation. It demonstrates the WRONG way. The person making the video was not just going about his day to day business while open carrying a handgun, but rather was looking to create a confrontation where there wasn't one already while open carrying a handgun. While it's true the cop was off base, the 'victim' was looking for drama. That was never what the open carry movement was about here in Washington.

Which segues nicely into why doing what that guy did might not be such a good idea here in Washington. Approaching a police encounter already in progress while OC would certainly fall close enough to the time/place/manner/circumstance to get you arrested, and close enough that you'll never recover any $$$ even if they decline to prosecute.

Beside that, he waited a full minute after the encounter began to ask if the officer was detaining him.

In some circumstances it might get him shot. Please don't Burke me!!

decklin

I guess no one else read the description on the YouTube page. Apparently the were part of a rally outside an abortion clinic. The police came to them.

gogodawgs

Campaign Veteran

Exactly, there are some in this state and on this forum that still do not understand. I know of a few that want to go interact with police, that want to 'be seen' by police and that want that attention. IMHO that is not what OCDO Washington is about. Should you be prepared if you encounter the police, yes.

amzbrady

I didnt post this caring HOW OR WHAT caused the interaction. It doesnt matter HOW or WHAT caused the interaction. What matters is that the police pushed the interaction without RAS. It shouldnt matter if you are carrying a firearm or not. I posted this admiring how they handled the interaction. I dont think anyone should seek an interaction, but if it happens, just like it did to Tom Brewster, it is good to see someone handleing it properly. I seem to remember alot of us showed our support by assemblying at starbucks afterwards. I dont think many of us saw it as a support for our second amendment, we just happened to be carrying while showing or support of our 4th amendment.

Last edited:

ManInBlack

I guess no one else read the description on the YouTube page. Apparently the were part of a rally outside an abortion clinic. The police came to them.

^This.

Unless an open carrier goes into a police station and dares the cops to arrest him, he is not "looking for a confrontation."

The police unnecessarily, and unfortunately, interject their unwanted selves into every area of normal American life.

sudden valley gunner

Exactly, there are some in this state and on this forum that still do not understand. I know of a few that want to go interact with police, that want to 'be seen' by police and that want that attention. IMHO that is not what OCDO Washington is about. Should you be prepared if you encounter the police, yes.

Who? I know you might name Eric, but you said "some" plural. Who else?

OCDO is about normalizing gun carry. If some would normally police the police who cares?