• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

This is how to handle an interaction...

sudden valley gunner

^This.

Unless an open carrier goes into a police station and dares the cops to arrest him, he is not "looking for a confrontation."

The police unnecessarily, and unfortunately, interject their unwanted selves into every area of normal American life.

Some people will just insist that any citizen wanting to actively police the police are 'confrontational'. I don't hold that belief. And no one that I know of on OCDO or in Washington has done this. Regardless of what some may claim.

I went to a police station to lodge a complaint about an illegal arrest/detainment for OC'ing, I continued to do so OC'ing . I was then promptly illegally detained/arrested again......cops and statist think it was "confrontational" I think I was just doing what I had the right to do. The city then paid me not to take them to federal court....a small victory for our side.

Terms some people use like "confrontational" are very subjective terms and used more as ad hominem attack.

ManInBlack

I went to a police station to lodge a complaint about an illegal arrest/detainment for OC'ing, I continued to do so OC'ing . I was then promptly illegally detained/arrested again......cops and statist think it was "confrontational" I think I was just doing what I had the right to do. The city then paid me not to take them to federal court....a small victory for our side.

Certainly, carrying into any government building in which you have business or in which you are exercising your 1A rights to protest and/or petition the government to seek redress of grievances should be considered part of normal life. I was referring only to a person who goes into a police station with the sole purpose of verbally daring officers to arrest him. I haven't seen anything like that either, and even if I did, as long as no laws are broken, the police have no legitimate power to detain or otherwise mistreat him.

Hardbuck90

SVG what you did was completely legal and you were in the right, I have a problem with the first video, or more so about how the fellow goes about it. Yes he may be within his rights but he sounds nervous as all get out and he should have never retreated, he should have stood his ground when the officer first approached and then when the officer walked away he followed after and continues to ask if he is being detained. Makes me think of someone who just found about OC and the laws regarding and is just out to make a point

sudden valley gunner

SVG what you did was completely legal and you were in the right, I have a problem with the first video, or more so about how the fellow goes about it. Yes he may be within his rights but he sounds nervous as all get out and he should have never retreated, he should have stood his ground when the officer first approached and then when the officer walked away he followed after and continues to ask if he is being detained. Makes me think of someone who just found about OC and the laws regarding and is just out to make a point

Yea I think the guy could have handled it better. I still don't fault him though. When you are in a coercive situation and determined to stand up for your rights against someone that has the full weight of the state behind him....you get a little nervous....it does get easier the more it happens though...;)

t

MSG Laigaie

Campaign Veteran
OCDO is about normalizing gun carry...........

I am one of those people that OC all the time. Now I do not mean that I do this thing regularly, I do it constantly. Some people, for whatever reason, OC for part of the day, some just occasionally. The young man in video 1 seemed to be a part timer and he was a bit nervous. He seemed to handle it well and he did not get "Birked". I, personally, would not have attempted to chase him down to ask if I was being detained. The majority of the population will support you, a few are afraid of you. If you are a "normal" person in your actions people will assume you are "normal"(whatever the hell that means). Be Calm, Carry On

sudden valley gunner

I am one of those people that OC all the time. Now I do not mean that I do this thing regularly, I do it constantly. Some people, for whatever reason, OC for part of the day, some just occasionally. The young man in video 1 seemed to be a part timer and he was a bit nervous. He seemed to handle it well and he did not get "Birked". I, personally, would not have attempted to chase him down to ask if I was being detained. The majority of the population will support you, a few are afraid of you. If you are a "normal" person in your actions people will assume you are "normal"(whatever the hell that means). Be Calm, Carry On

I wouldn't either but I didn't hear the officer tell him he was "free to go either".

I think we get to carry constantly, because we happen to be in unique situations with employment and "lifestyles"....hehe.