• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Skeptical about open carrying in Redford Michigan.

Glock45z2

Within the last five to ten years the township of Redford has gotten to be pretty bad. Walking my pitbull does not scare nor stop these hoodlums from approaching and/or harassing me. Would like to open carry for the sake of my safety, does anyone have any advice.

Last edited:

Glock9mmOldStyle

Campaign Veteran
Go to the MI page of this forum. You will see thousands of open carry experiences there without incident some in Redford no doubt. Next read as much as you can on the laws there and also at miopencarry.org. Can you elaborate on who they are that are bothering you? The city/township? Thugs?

Also until you get comfortable with open carry you may want to attend an open carry event, where you can pick the brains of others who have been doing this for a while. There are many usually in the spring & summer. Picnics etc. I am told there is an event being scheduled for Taylor, MI in the very near future, just 10 minutes down telegraph road from you :)

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Within the last five to ten years the township of Redford has gotten to be pretty bad. Walking my pitbull does not scare nor stop them from harassing me. Would like to open carry for the sake of my safety, does anyone have any advice.

Welcome to OCDO Glock45z2 - youre following in the footsteps of many before you. Trust that you will enjoy the journey.

You've been given very good advice by the previous poster - learn as much as you can and avail yourself of the opportunity to attend a local meet n' greet - quickest way to establish a good information pipeline.

Enjoy and be safe.

Glock45z2

Successful open carry redford.

Welcome to OCDO Glock45z2 - youre following in the footsteps of many before you. Trust that you will enjoy the journey.

You've been given very good advice by the previous poster - learn as much as you can and avail yourself of the opportunity to attend a local meet n' greet - quickest way to establish a good information pipeline.

Enjoy and be safe.

successfully open carried today. No strange looks or comments, looking to exercise open carry more often. The township is not bothering it is by far the thugs.
I am going to make sure I abide the law while open carrying and keeping my family safe. Thanks to all that shared their info. Much appreciated.

Glock45z2

Glock45z2

Congratulations! Don't forget to have an audio recorder running at all times. Its a good investment and cheap insurance. Stay safe!

Had phone recorder ready. I have a few friends that are big into open carry such as the lansing/ponderosa event. Again thank you for youre advice and time. Looking forward to meeting some of you at the next open carry events. Joe

Glock45z2

Would like to find out more about having a cpl and ocing. From my understanding it looks better if you possess a cpl, but in no way needed to oc. Cpl would be needed if carrying and driving a vehicle correct?

Glock9mmOldStyle

Campaign Veteran
Would like to find out more about having a cpl and ocing. From my understanding it looks better if you possess a cpl, but in no way needed to oc. Cpl would be needed if carrying and driving a vehicle correct?

Yes only cpl holders can carry in a vehicle. Non cpl holders must have their pistols in transport mode, in a approved case, must be the registered owner, must be unloaded, must be in the trunk of a car, or out of reach of the driver and passengers in a vehicle without a trunk. Also cpl holders do not have to worry about places that have a liquor license, without it you cannot carry in many places like gas stations that sell alcohol. Most Grocery stores like wal-mart, kmart, Meijer, ect. It makes oc easier but it has draw backs also. It cost on average $250 -$300 once all the costs are totalled to get it. In Wayne co. It can take upto six months after you turn in your app to receive it in the mail. Also it forces you to ID yourself if you are carrying a concealed backup while you are out in about, when approached by a LEO.Thus we are seeing a trend towards double oc pistols to avoid this catch 22.

Glock45z2

I did try to pm you oldstyle 9. Im thinking that it might not have gone through. I will go ahead and try later. Thanks again form all the advice.

Last edited:

Truckdriver1975

My sister lives in Redford. Based on what she tells me it's definitely wise to carry. If you don't have a CPL and can afford one it greatly reduces the legal restrictions. I'm relatively new to OC but I'm finding the more I do it the more I like it. No real encounters with the antis yet and I'm pretty well immune now to the occasional evil stares. Good luck and stay safe!