• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

My First OC!

badey

So I decided to try OC today. I OCed ALL DAY today. I went to the auto parts store, the local gun store, the local township building, and the grocery store. It was an interesting experience. The grocery store was awkward, and the check-out lady seemed uncomfortable, as did several people in the store.

This may be old hat for you all, but I have been strictly a CCer for more than 5 years. I liked not feeling the gun pinching like it does in my IWB holster.

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
Welcome to OCDO and the freedom of OCing.

Whenever you get the looks try to remember that what you are seeing is envy - they know you are sure enough of yourself to take responsibility for your own protection, while they are stuck waiting the rest of their lives waiting for the 911 operator to pick up the phone.

Also, as you noticed, OWB is a heck of a lot more comfortable than IWB.

stay safe.

mommaof3

Me too!

I open carried first with my hubby in Eau Claire. We went into a few stores and Subway. Got a few looks, but no one ran screaming to call the police or anything like that. Yesterday though, I went (as the kiddos would say) 'by my own self' along with the two little ones to a few stores in Jackson County WI. At Walmart a woman was just frightened and nervously fidgeted, but a man in the check out line asked if he could buy the kids some candy. I told him that was COMPLETELY unnecessary..as they really don't need anymore sugar! He insisted, never mentioned the gun...but seemed quite pleased and crestfallen when I told him no...So I just said ok, since the kids were pulling on my arm saying "now we don't have to share a candy momma!" So I let him, he shook my hand and went on his way. At Burger King, I went to get the kids a quick dollar bite to eat. We actually never go there, but met a friend of mine in town and she insisted on treating the kids. There was a skinny little girl working in there, frightened, but the mananger came up nice as can be. She gave the kids an order of fries for free, and tons of free 'green' ketchup. When we went to leave she thanked me for coming in and told me to hang on...she came back out with happy meal toys for the kids. skinny cashier girl kept a close eye on me and tried to take pictures of my hip covertly. All in all it was a good expierience. I don't expect all to go this way, but this one was fine. I don't really know what was up with everyone wanting to treat the kiddos, but assume it was because they were 'happy' someone was out thier excersizing their rights? I am glad you had a positive exp as well. Thanks again for the great forum guys. I am glad I found this gem amonst the rest of the garbage out in cyber space.
I had a man a few weeks ago. A grown man, brown hair kind of scrubby looking just standing in the toy aisle in Wal mart. I am well aware a young girl had almost been abducted in a situation similiar. He kept looking around at the opening of the aisle when the kids and I were checking out legos. When the one kid got about five feet away from me the man walked closer to them and tried to talk to the youngin. I took a step to close the gap between my kid and myself and my little one walked over to me. I gave the guy a 'dont mess with my cubs look' took hold of the kids hands and got out of there. I told my friend the manager he ought to keep an eye on that guy. He never threatend anyone, I just felt 'prickles' that the guy was up to no good. After that exp, I decided to find something on the internet and found this site...It's helped me alot already in becoming more aware, ie situational awareness and many other things. you guys are great! :) recomended your site to several of my buddies who think I just want to walk around with a gun on 'to scare people'. I dont. I don't want the hassle. I just want to know my family is safe. My kids are my whole life. There are too many horror stories out there!

Last edited: