• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Kali resident flying into Ohio, and then hunting in Michigan.

markm

Hello Ohio,

I will be flying into Ohio to visit my step-daughter and her new baby. They live in Sharonville and the baby is due next fall. I will be travelling with a hunting rifle and pistol as I will be hunting in Michigan after I leave Sharonville.

What are the laws in Ohio for non-residents who transport guns?

I read the AG's pamphlet regarding CCW, specifically the parts about OC and transporting guns in cars.

What else do I need to know?

Thanks,

markm

N605TW

Activist Member
Welcome to the buckeye state. Make sure your firearms are unloaded (no ammunition in the firearm, magazines or speed loaders) when in a vehicle. If you have a permission slip that ohio honors you can keep your sidearms loaded.

If you do have a permission slip and you are carrying, and are stopped by law enforcement you must notify right away.

markm

Welcome to the buckeye state. Make sure your firearms are unloaded (no ammunition in the firearm, magazines or speed loaders) when in a vehicle. If you have a permission slip that ohio honors you can keep your sidearms loaded.

If you do have a permission slip and you are carrying, and are stopped by law enforcement you must notify right away.

Hey N605TW,

Magazines and speedloaders must be empty? Magazines even when they are not attached to the gun?

thanks,

markm

color of law

Accomplished Advocate
Hey N605TW,

Magazines and speedloaders must be empty? Magazines even when they are not attached to the gun?

thanks,

markm

Yes. Unfortunately in Ohio if mags or speedloaders are loaded and not in the gun the gun is still considered loaded.

2923.16 Improperly handling firearms in a motor vehicle.
(5) “Unloaded” means any of the following:

(a) No ammunition is in the firearm in question, and no ammunition is loaded into a magazine or speed loader that may be used with the firearm in question and that is located anywhere within the vehicle in question, without regard to where ammunition otherwise is located within the vehicle in question. For the purposes of division (K)(5)(a) of this section, ammunition held in stripper-clips or in en-bloc clips is not considered ammunition that is loaded into a magazine or speed loader.

(b) With respect to a firearm employing a percussion cap, flintlock, or other obsolete ignition system, when the weapon is uncapped or when the priming charge is removed from the pan.