• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

2012 Open Carry Picnic

Mr .454

Can any of you, my fellow responsible OCers tell me when and where the Picnic or gathering will be in Albuquerque in 2012?

Nathan Ortiz 1775

2012 picnic

Can any of you, my fellow responsible OCers tell me when and where the Picnic or gathering will be in Albuquerque in 2012?

I would like to know to. Saw a video on you tube from a news station about one in virginia. Would like to go to one here with the wife and daughter.

Mr .454

Anyone thought about better organization?

I would like to know to. Saw a video on you tube from a news station about one in virginia. Would like to go to one here with the wife and daughter.

Does anyone object if I organize a picnic? I will need some input as far as best ways to get the information to as many of us as possible.

cloudcroft

Campaign Veteran
El Paso, TX (formerly Colorado Springs, CO)
As I have said in other earlier posts here: Get a hold of member TravisNM. Also, see this thread by TravisNM:

http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/showthread.php?98360-Facebook-Group-New-Mexico-Open-Carry

I am not a member of Facebook so I post "my" events here only, but you could post here AND Facebook if you wanted to get the most views.

Also, read the other posts here about get-togethers and how they developed (no need to re-invent the wheel) then contact the "ring-leaders" (except me, I am still in TX) and others who attended -- you could individualy PM them if you want with a direct invitation (once the event is scheduled but they haven't publicly RSVPed yet in the event's "invitation" thread you will be posting here in the NM area).

But really, all you have to do is pick a date/time/place and post it. People will probably then chime-in (ask for input) and you can adjust the info as needed. Still, at some point you will have to decide on a specific date/time/place and just STICK to it...people make it or not. Can't please everyone's schedule.

Otherwise, most of these events never happen because they are always stuck in the planning stage, trying to choose the best date/time/place so ALL can attend. That's fine to a degree, yet it's like herding cats -- or trying to build a house with constant change-orders (it might never be built on-time or even ever) -- so at some point you have to go with what MOST people can attend, spend no further time planning and just go with it...and forget the others (for NOW, that is: Maybe THEY can make it next time).

"Our" goal was to have a set date/time/place meeting once a month. Hasn't happened yet but that's STILL the goal regardless.

At out last meeting, we had 13 people, maybe slightly more than half were from Rio Rancho and the rest from ABQ.

Good luck...

Last edited:

TravisNM

cloudcroft

Campaign Veteran
[First post wouldn't go through...trying again]

Travis,

Glad to see you're still in attendance...

I refer people to you re: "events" since you're "boots on the ground" there (I'm not).

Good to see you've got 2 events scheduled and are trying to get a monthly one going -- well done.

Last edited:

cloudcroft

Campaign Veteran
AH74,

We don't have any "official leadership" (I don't think OC gun-owners of NM have any particular organization like some other states do, like VA, AZ, TX, and so on -- with their "Citizens Defense Leagues") so someone just kind of UNofficially "takes charge" and tries to get an event going. Travis is just volunteering to help organize events, but he does not have any official "duty" (if you will) to do so. So since there is no official group, any one of us can initiate an event...

We all are "volunteers" that have the same interest you do: To help OCers get to meet other OCers in their local area. AND spread the word re: OCing via the places we meet (i.e., "educating" people) -- like the management and staff at VI that may not have seen citizens carrying before, or other customers who may wonder (and maybe ask) what's up with all the guns (!) -- which is part of our goal ("desensitizing") to get people used to seeing citizens (not just cops) carrying, as many people don't even know it's LEGAL to do so ("educating").

I would like to see a NMCDL (New Mexico Citizen's Defense League) formed for us in NM, but it hasn't happened yet. Maybe later...it's difficult enough to get events -- maybe there are just not enough OCers who know about OCDO (this website/forum) or what's up with the OC movement in NM to participate in events on a regular basis. Maybe we a certain # of members (a "threshold") that can keep events going regularly (as there'd always be enough members ot attend even though there would always be some who couldn't make it). I'm not sure...

Whatever, as I said earlier above, YOU could also get something going -- or help Travis -- so any time you feel like meeting up, post something announcing the event...or just pass the word along about upcoming/scheduled events (like the VI & Dunkin' Donuts events coming up) to your OC friends so they can come also -- as long as we all behave, as Travis outlined in his other post. ;-)

After all, whether we want to or not, we represent other OCers (and gun-owners in general), so we need to be mindful of that and present a "civilized" demeanor wherever we go. As a group someplace, or individually (like I do as like to I visit -- and OC at -- assorted Starbucks in ABQ when I am there).

So far, so good...

Last edited:

TravisNM

Hey cloud, we currently have 47 members on the NMOC facebook group. :banana: Not all are from ABQ area but still a good amount.

cloudcroft

Campaign Veteran
@ TravisNM: Wouldn't have expected that many but that's good sized group over there...maybe a start to founding a NMCDL at some point in the future! If not for the whole-of-New Mexico, maybe "Northern NM" and "Southern NM" chapters.

@ AH.74: If I am writing something that MIGHT be taken the wrong way (when text is all we have to go by, meanings/tone do often become misinterpreted), I insert an emoticon to indicate my intended meaning/tone. In this case, perhaps a "smiley-face" at the end of your query would have indicated you were just asking a friendly question?

Last edited:

Mr .454

Taken Care Of

As I have said in other earlier posts here: Get a hold of member TravisNM. Also, see this thread by TravisNM:

http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/showthread.php?98360-Facebook-Group-New-Mexico-Open-Carry

I am not a member of Facebook so I post "my" events here only, but you could post here AND Facebook if you wanted to get the most views.

Also, read the other posts here about get-togethers and how they developed (no need to re-invent the wheel) then contact the "ring-leaders" (except me, I am still in TX) and others who attended -- you could individualy PM them if you want with a direct invitation (once the event is scheduled but they haven't publicly RSVPed yet in the event's "invitation" thread you will be posting here in the NM area).

But really, all you have to do is pick a date/time/place and post it. People will probably then chime-in (ask for input) and you can adjust the info as needed. Still, at some point you will have to decide on a specific date/time/place and just STICK to it...people make it or not. Can't please everyone's schedule.

Otherwise, most of these events never happen because they are always stuck in the planning stage, trying to choose the best date/time/place so ALL can attend. That's fine to a degree, yet it's like herding cats -- or trying to build a house with constant change-orders (it might never be built on-time or even ever) -- so at some point you have to go with what MOST people can attend, spend no further time planning and just go with it...and forget the others (for NOW, that is: Maybe THEY can make it next time).

"Our" goal was to have a set date/time/place meeting once a month. Hasn't happened yet but that's STILL the goal regardless.

At out last meeting, we had 13 people, maybe slightly more than half were from Rio Rancho and the rest from ABQ.

Good luck...

AH it look like the meeting is set for Village Inn Rio Rancho 3/28 6PM Hope to meet ya there