Thread: Going on Vacation to WI

Thumbs up Going on Vacation to WI

From Missouri, going on vacation to WI. I have a lot of family in WI. Never been there but that will change in June. While I do OC and CCW here in MO. and I'm a political animal agressively trying to fix the mess with have here in MO. with OC legal/not legal by municipality (Making progress in the legislature this year) WI looks very OC friendly!!!! Thank you. With my AZ permit I can CCW in WI so this is the year since you have CCW now!!!!

The question(?). I'll be mostly in Madison, Milwaukee and surrounding areas. I suppose I'll be a frequent Starbucks visitor (A generally high OC location here and elseware))
    In the two above cities is it "common" or rare to see OCers on the street?
    The reason I ask, in AZ especially in Phoenix there were many OCers on the streets. I was impressed with that.

I kept up with the recent "concerns" in Madison, looks like that is taken care of! Well done, mosy unfoprtunate for the folks who had to deal with it.

I'm really looking to visit the great State of WI, seems there are a lot of State Parks and scenic areas to visit!

Thanks to you and the great people there for allowing 2A freedom!
    If you pull it, you use it. If you pull it and you don't use it, you've done some thing wrong and you might not get another chance. Think about it before you pack it!
    I worked 24/7 for 2A OC rights! Don't like what I did? Try it yourself, it was my full time job!
    Certified NRA Range Safety Officer - RSO

Vacation

If you get a chance you could visit Lake Geneva the only place posted is the medical clinic. We have a beautiul lake and great things to do. Also a Starbucks, Cariboo coffee and a little indepent store Geneva Java. Hope you enjoy you stay in out great state

Quote Originally Posted by mab1970 View Post
    If you get a chance you could visit Lake Geneva the only place posted is the medical clinic. We have a beautiul lake and great things to do. Also a Starbucks, Cariboo coffee and a little indepent store Geneva Java. Hope you enjoy you stay in out great state
    Thanks for the reply.... Looking for places to go!
    If you pull it, you use it. If you pull it and you don't use it, you've done some thing wrong and you might not get another chance. Think about it before you pack it!
    I worked 24/7 for 2A OC rights! Don't like what I did? Try it yourself, it was my full time job!

OC isn't common here like Arizona, for example. Not to say it's rare or anything, we've had OC for a long time here. Just more recently, it's been more "protected" in that there is a law against arresting you for "disorderly conduct". So open carry away! Since you have a permit that allows you to CCW here, you don't have to do the "dance" (holster/re-hoster when getting in/out of cars. Open carry away if you choose! Just keep an eye out for those posted places, since Madison probably has the highest percentage of posted places in the state (my educated guess).

Come on over!

Quote Originally Posted by xenophon View Post
    OC isn't common here like Arizona, for example. Not to say it's rare or anything, we've had OC for a long time here. Just more recently, it's been more "protected" in that there is a law against arresting you for "disorderly conduct". So open carry away! Since you have a permit that allows you to CCW here, you don't have to do the "dance" (holster/re-hoster when getting in/out of cars. Open carry away if you choose! Just keep an eye out for those posted places, since Madison probably has the highest percentage of posted places in the state (my educated guess).

Come on over!
    Good to know that. I have a strong dislike for the "No you have no 2A rights here" signs!

http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/sh...ou-should-know

Then avoid these places: http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/sh...ights-%28v2%29

If you are uncomfortable with carrying here, hit one of us up: http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/sh...-a-first-timer

Enjoy your stay.
    No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms. Thomas Jefferson (1776)

If you go into a store, with a gun, and rob it, you have forfeited your right to not get shot - Joe Deters, Hamilton County (Cincinnati) Prosecutor

I ask sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people except for a few politicians. - George Mason (father of the Bill of Rights and The Virginia Declaration of Rights)

Thanks, I looked at those. WI has the most complete orientation for visitors on opencarry.org of any State I've seen. benn OCing in Missouri for a few years now. I've told many people to look at the WI site to learn more.

This will be a good vacation, thanks all.

cCarry often, apply only as needed.

Quote Originally Posted by protias View Post
    http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/sh...ou-should-know

Then avoid these places: http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/sh...ights-%28v2%29

If you are uncomfortable with carrying here, hit one of us up: http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/sh...-a-first-timer

Enjoy your stay.

Quote Originally Posted by mab1970 View Post
    Exactly what I did today. Fontanna walk to Williams Bay and back then to Lake Geneva for dinner at Popeys. No car carry load/unload shuffle! Thanks, Governor Walker (among others). Except as I approach the "Welcome to Illinois sign"!

The only place I saw posted was the library. Not exactly a tourist spot though.

Quote Originally Posted by lockman View Post
    The only place I saw posted was the library. Not exactly a tourist spot though.
    Not looking for books, thanks. I'll look at the Lake on line!

You are right about not exactly a tourist spot. Home of Baby Face Nelson!
    I guess it has a claim to fame.
    Last edited by mspgunner; 03-18-2012 at 09:48 PM.

Madison is always fun to OC....so many anti-2A people...you can just see them cringe when you walk by them...

Herr Heckler Koch
    Quote Originally Posted by GlockRDH View Post
    Madison is always fun to OC....so many anti-2A people...you can just see them cringe when you walk by them...
    Hoo! Good to know. Same as dreads, BM, tattoos, BO...?

Lake Geneva Area

Quote Originally Posted by mspgunner View Post
    Thanks for the reply.... Looking for places to go!
    I have found the Lake Geneva & Delavan areas to be very carry friendly. Not to mention they are good places to visit when you come to Wisconsin. I have not OC'd in the City of Lake Geneva, so I don't know how they are with OC specifically. I am there regularly, and always CC there for various reasons. I have never had a problem there or found a sign posted. Someone with OC expierience in the City, please jump in as I would like to know as well. It would be good to have options in the warmer weather.
    Be aware that when the weather is good the downtown area gets VERY busy (and well behaved).

Rob

Quote Originally Posted by GlockRDH View Post
    Gonn ahve a good time in WI!
    Thanks.

Cool Wisconsin

I've lived in Wisconsin all my life. I'm 44 years old by the way. I haven't seen anyone open carrying. I actually called my local police department when I found out you can open carry a few years ago to make sure it was OK. I do live in a small town but I frequent the bigger cities quite a bit. Milwaukee and Madison to name a couple. I have my CCW permit and I use it everywhere. Obviously no one knows I'm carrying but I get the impression that Wisconsin is pretty tolerate of the whole gun issue. I did read a few articles about people in Madison raising a little bit of a stink. I'm sure you will enjoy your visit here and welcome! I know you have relatives in Wisconsin but if you want some suggestions on some things to do, let me know.

Quote Originally Posted by T-Bone View Post
    I've lived in Wisconsin all my life. I'm 44 years old by the way. I haven't seen anyone open carrying. I actually called my local police department when I found out you can open carry a few years ago to make sure it was OK. I do live in a small town but I frequent the bigger cities quite a bit. Milwaukee and Madison to name a couple. I have my CCW permit and I use it everywhere. Obviously no one knows I'm carrying but I get the impression that Wisconsin is pretty tolerate of the whole gun issue. I did read a few articles about people in Madison raising a little bit of a stink. I'm sure you will enjoy your visit here and welcome! I know you have relatives in Wisconsin but if you want some suggestions on some things to do, let me know.
    I'm open to suggestions, reading the "tourist stuff".
    We'll be staying in or around Madison and then 3 days around Milwaukee.

Sight seeing!

You can PM me if you like, saves reads on the forum.

Thanks.

Campaign Veteran
    One thing to be mindful of, are the school zones. Without a WI CCP, you are stuck outside that magic bubble that protects all of the students from evil. Always be mindful of where you're carrying.

Definitely hit up the "Adopt a first timer" Protias referenced. We'll happily meet up with you while you're in town!
    You can speak softy and carry a big stick, but I'll stick to my guns.

Member - Wisconsin Carry, Inc. http://ww.wisconsincarry.org
    Member of West Bend Barton Sportsman's Club - http://www.wbbsc.com

Quote Originally Posted by TaurusToter View Post
    One thing to be mindful of, are the school zones. Without a WI CCP, you are stuck outside that magic bubble that protects all of the students from evil. Always be mindful of where you're carrying.

Definitely hit up the "Adopt a first timer" Protias referenced. We'll happily meet up with you while you're in town!
    The OP did state he has an AZ permit.

Regular Member paul@paul-fisher.com's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by lockman View Post
    The OP did state he has an AZ permit.
    Does no good in a WI GFSZ. The license/permit is only good in the state it is issued in when it comes to the Federal GFSZ law.

Quote Originally Posted by paul@paul-fisher.com View Post
    Does no good in a WI GFSZ. The license/permit is only good in the state it is issued in when it comes to the Federal GFSZ law.
    I do not plan to be near schools. It's vacation, more like shopping areas and the like.
    I've been an OCer for a number of years here in MO. I have read the WI laws and dos and don'ts.

I appreciate all the inputs and advice. This is good. If 'ya all travel to MO. we on this site have doen much the same for visitors from around the country.
    Our big problem here is we do not have preemption, we are trying to fix this but our legislature and the NRA keep jerking us around. YES THE NRA HAS NOT BEEN OUR FRIEND ON OC!

See ya soon.

If, by happenstance, it happens that you are in WI at the same time I am visiting, we could link up. If you are interested, I will be giving the Utah Concealed Firearm Permit Class for those who desire a UT permit; usually desired for additional reciprocity.

Jim (Yellow Cat)

www.yellowcatpersonaldefense.com
    My cats support the Second Amendment. NRA Life Member, NRA Instructor: Pistol, Rifle, & Personal Protection - NRA Certified Range Safety Officer, Utah BCI Certified Concealed Firearm Permit Instructor.
    "Permission Slips" from Utah, Pennsylvania, Nevada, Arizona, and Florida. _ Verily, thou shalt not fiddle with thine firearm whilst in the bathroom stall, lest thine spouse seek condolences from thine friends.

Quote Originally Posted by jpm84092 View Post
    If, by happenstance, it happens that you are in WI at the same time I am visiting, we could link up. If you are interested, I will be giving the Utah Concealed Firearm Permit Class for those who desire a UT permit; usually desired for additional reciprocity.

Jim (Yellow Cat)

www.yellowcatpersonaldefense.com
    I'll be on vacation with my wife. She is not exactly a firearms enthusiast..... We did meet with a group of OCers in AZ on our last vacation so I could get a bit of insight into constitutional carry from those who knew it well. This time it is just vacation time for us. I hope I do encounter some OCers, but we are not going out of our way to meet up this time.
    Thanks for the invite though.