• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Going on Vacation to WI

mspgunner

From Missouri, going on vacation to WI. I have a lot of family in WI. Never been there but that will change in June. While I do OC and CCW here in MO. and I'm a political animal agressively trying to fix the mess with have here in MO. with OC legal/not legal by municipality (Making progress in the legislature this year) WI looks very OC friendly!!!! Thank you. With my AZ permit I can CCW in WI so this is the year since you have CCW now!!!!

The question(?). I'll be mostly in Madison, Milwaukee and surrounding areas. I suppose I'll be a frequent Starbucks visitor (A generally high OC location here and elseware))
In the two above cities is it "common" or rare to see OCers on the street?
The reason I ask, in AZ especially in Phoenix there were many OCers on the streets. I was impressed with that.

I kept up with the recent "concerns" in Madison, looks like that is taken care of! Well done, mosy unfoprtunate for the folks who had to deal with it.

I'm really looking to visit the great State of WI, seems there are a lot of State Parks and scenic areas to visit!

Thanks to you and the great people there for allowing 2A freedom!

mab1970

Vacation

If you get a chance you could visit Lake Geneva the only place posted is the medical clinic. We have a beautiul lake and great things to do. Also a Starbucks, Cariboo coffee and a little indepent store Geneva Java. Hope you enjoy you stay in out great state

mspgunner

If you get a chance you could visit Lake Geneva the only place posted is the medical clinic. We have a beautiul lake and great things to do. Also a Starbucks, Cariboo coffee and a little indepent store Geneva Java. Hope you enjoy you stay in out great state

Thanks for the reply.... Looking for places to go!

xenophon

OC isn't common here like Arizona, for example. Not to say it's rare or anything, we've had OC for a long time here. Just more recently, it's been more "protected" in that there is a law against arresting you for "disorderly conduct". So open carry away! Since you have a permit that allows you to CCW here, you don't have to do the "dance" (holster/re-hoster when getting in/out of cars. Open carry away if you choose! Just keep an eye out for those posted places, since Madison probably has the highest percentage of posted places in the state (my educated guess).

Come on over!

mspgunner

OC isn't common here like Arizona, for example. Not to say it's rare or anything, we've had OC for a long time here. Just more recently, it's been more "protected" in that there is a law against arresting you for "disorderly conduct". So open carry away! Since you have a permit that allows you to CCW here, you don't have to do the "dance" (holster/re-hoster when getting in/out of cars. Open carry away if you choose! Just keep an eye out for those posted places, since Madison probably has the highest percentage of posted places in the state (my educated guess).

Come on over!

Good to know that. I have a strong dislike for the "No you have no 2A rights here" signs!

mspgunner

Thanks, I looked at those. WI has the most complete orientation for visitors on opencarry.org of any State I've seen. benn OCing in Missouri for a few years now. I've told many people to look at the WI site to learn more.

This will be a good vacation, thanks all.

cCarry often, apply only as needed.

lockman

State Researcher

Exactly what I did today. Fontanna walk to Williams Bay and back then to Lake Geneva for dinner at Popeys. No car carry load/unload shuffle! Thanks, Governor Walker (among others). Except as I approach the "Welcome to Illinois sign"!

Helorob

Lake Geneva Area

Thanks for the reply.... Looking for places to go!

I have found the Lake Geneva & Delavan areas to be very carry friendly. Not to mention they are good places to visit when you come to Wisconsin. I have not OC'd in the City of Lake Geneva, so I don't know how they are with OC specifically. I am there regularly, and always CC there for various reasons. I have never had a problem there or found a sign posted. Someone with OC expierience in the City, please jump in as I would like to know as well. It would be good to have options in the warmer weather.
Be aware that when the weather is good the downtown area gets VERY busy (and well behaved).

Rob

T-Bone

Wisconsin

I've lived in Wisconsin all my life. I'm 44 years old by the way. I haven't seen anyone open carrying. I actually called my local police department when I found out you can open carry a few years ago to make sure it was OK. I do live in a small town but I frequent the bigger cities quite a bit. Milwaukee and Madison to name a couple. I have my CCW permit and I use it everywhere. Obviously no one knows I'm carrying but I get the impression that Wisconsin is pretty tolerate of the whole gun issue. I did read a few articles about people in Madison raising a little bit of a stink. I'm sure you will enjoy your visit here and welcome! I know you have relatives in Wisconsin but if you want some suggestions on some things to do, let me know.:cool:

mspgunner

I've lived in Wisconsin all my life. I'm 44 years old by the way. I haven't seen anyone open carrying. I actually called my local police department when I found out you can open carry a few years ago to make sure it was OK. I do live in a small town but I frequent the bigger cities quite a bit. Milwaukee and Madison to name a couple. I have my CCW permit and I use it everywhere. Obviously no one knows I'm carrying but I get the impression that Wisconsin is pretty tolerate of the whole gun issue. I did read a few articles about people in Madison raising a little bit of a stink. I'm sure you will enjoy your visit here and welcome! I know you have relatives in Wisconsin but if you want some suggestions on some things to do, let me know.:cool:

I'm open to suggestions, reading the "tourist stuff".
We'll be staying in or around Madison and then 3 days around Milwaukee.

Sight seeing!

You can PM me if you like, saves reads on the forum.

Thanks.

TaurusToter

Campaign Veteran
One thing to be mindful of, are the school zones. Without a WI CCP, you are stuck outside that magic bubble that protects all of the students from evil. Always be mindful of where you're carrying.

Definitely hit up the "Adopt a first timer" Protias referenced. We'll happily meet up with you while you're in town!

lockman

State Researcher
One thing to be mindful of, are the school zones. Without a WI CCP, you are stuck outside that magic bubble that protects all of the students from evil. Always be mindful of where you're carrying.

Definitely hit up the "Adopt a first timer" Protias referenced. We'll happily meet up with you while you're in town!

The OP did state he has an AZ permit.

mspgunner

Does no good in a WI GFSZ. The license/permit is only good in the state it is issued in when it comes to the Federal GFSZ law.

I do not plan to be near schools. It's vacation, more like shopping areas and the like.
I've been an OCer for a number of years here in MO. I have read the WI laws and dos and don'ts.

I appreciate all the inputs and advice. This is good. If 'ya all travel to MO. we on this site have doen much the same for visitors from around the country.
Our big problem here is we do not have preemption, we are trying to fix this but our legislature and the NRA keep jerking us around. YES THE NRA HAS NOT BEEN OUR FRIEND ON OC!

See ya soon.