• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

CPL Search?

lyonsdenn

Hey everyone, I am new to this site so please bear with me...

So...a while back I lost/misplaced my CPL license but unfortunately I was unable to do anything about it at the time... (although I know I could get a replacement for a lost CPL by going down to the police station and paying a small fee of like $10)- But because it has been so long since I last saw/needed/used my license, I don't remember when the expiration date even was... but there is a good possibility it has already expired. (Which if that were the case, I know I'll either have to renew it, or if its been over 60 days, I'll have to just apply all over again.)

The thing is- I don't even know which one to ask for- a replacement, renewal, or to completely re-apply. I realize I could just go in and ask, which I'll probably end up having to do anyway, but I'm still curious if there is another way to find out what a persons current CPL license status is? - (eg: gun shop, online search, etc...)

Basically, I'm wondering if anyone knows of a way to search a persons Washington state CPL license status/info yourself? (just general info; If issued, when did/will they expire, etc...)? It just seems with ALL the information that's possible to find on someone, and the thousands of searches available online these days (everything from contractors licenses to criminal records)-there must be some way to search this too...right?

Anyway, its no big deal, more curious than anything really...just figured an online 'CPL license search' was worth a shot. (no pun intended...)

Thanks for your help! :)

[SUB]"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."

-Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759​
[/SUB]

~

Jeff Hayes

There is no way that I am aware of to get the info form the net.

Just go where you would renew and tell the Sheriff or Police what you just told us I can't see them doing anything but giving you the answer you need.

Last edited:

slapmonkay

Campaign Veteran
I am curious, are you some how involved with the Lyons Denn in Bothell?

As for your question, I would probably just reapply new or ask the office what they suggest.

BigDave

Opt-Out Members
CPL information is protected from release to the public or news agency's so you will have to go in and apply for a replacement, renewal or new application. Depending where you live in the city or county you must apply accordingly.

RCW 42.56.240 Investigative, law enforcement, and crime victims.
The following investigative, law enforcement, and crime victim information is exempt from public inspection and copying under this chapter:
(4) License applications under RCW 9.41.070; copies of license applications or information on the applications may be released to law enforcement or corrections agencies;

Last edited:

lyonsdenn

I am curious, are you some how involved with the Lyons Denn in Bothell?

As for your question, I would probably just reapply new or ask the office what they suggest.

No, its just a nickname I've used for forever. I'm glad you asked though- it's a coffee shop, right? Yeah, I had never heard of it before so I just looked it up- live music, food and coffee... AND the place is called The Lyons Den? Sounds good to me- I like it already! lol..
Have you been there? Well, I'm just in Lynnwood so I'll have to go check it out sometime for sure.
Thanks!

lyonsdenn

CPL information is protected from release to the public or news agency's so you will have to go in and apply for a replacement, renewal or new application. Depending where you live in the city or county you must apply accordingly.

RCW 42.56.240 Investigative, law enforcement, and crime victims.
The following investigative, law enforcement, and crime victim information is exempt from public inspection and copying under this chapter:
(4) License applications under RCW 9.41.070; copies of license applications or information on the applications may be released to law enforcement or corrections agencies;

Wow, thanks! I'm a little surprised that information would be so protected. Don't get me wrong-I'm not complaining or anything, I just assumed that if you could look up a person’s business license, voter registration, marriage license, and even a deed to someone’s house that it would be just as easy to look up a cpl license. Hmm..I wonder why just cpl info would be limited to law enforcement? Any thoughts on why that is?

Anyway, thank you all for your help! (learn something new everyday, I guess. :)
Sounds like I'll be heading down to the station this afternoon.

Thanks again everyone!!

Dave_pro2a

Wow, thanks! I'm a little surprised that information would be so protected. Don't get me wrong-I'm not complaining or anything, I just assumed that if you could look up a person’s business license, voter registration, marriage license, and even a deed to someone’s house that it would be just as easy to look up a cpl license. Hmm..I wonder why just cpl info would be limited to law enforcement? Any thoughts on why that is?

Thanks again everyone!!

Want to keep guns out of the hands of criminals?

Then don't create a public database of addresses where guns are likely stored (i.e. your home). That just becomes a "steal from me" list, or a shopping list for gang members.

Government should publish all commercial license information (businesses), but not any non-commercial license information (i.e. marriage). IMHO.

Last edited:

lyonsdenn

Want to keep guns out of the hands of criminals?

Then don't create a public database of addresses where guns are likely stored (i.e. your home). That just becomes a "steal from me" list, or a shopping list for gang members.

Government should publish all commercial license information (businesses), but not any non-commercial license information (i.e. marriage). IMHO.

Damn, that totally makes sense. I was just thinking about it in terms of public information...it never even crossed my mind what a criminal might do with that kind of information...Good call. Thank you!

And I agree, government "should" not publish non-commercial information...but they still do.

BigDave

Opt-Out Members

Thanks again everyone!!

There are anti gun groups with different news agency's that have obtained list as these and have posted them to intimidate people that have these licenses as scare tactics though many have different reasons to keep that information private from those of domestic violence or those that wish to do them harm thus one good reason to carry.
A couple years ago in Oregon a News Agency tried to obtain this information and a Sheriff refused and took it to their legislature and if I am correct they adopted a law that prevented the release of information as well.