• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Racine Zoo 'splain this to me please

markush

Racine Zoo are they posted?

The wife wants to go to the Racine Zoo so I searched "Racine Zoo" here and all I could find was a post from 2010 talking about open carry and a liqueur license.

This is per the Zoo website....."Per Racine Municipal Ordinance 70-79, no persons except for police officers and other law enforcement officers are permitted to carry any firearm onto Zoo campus." Can someone reassure me that "Racine Municipal Ordinance 70-79" is pre ACT35 and does not apply to CCL holders now.

Last edited:

protias

Without a license would you not still be able to OC as long as you do not enter buildings?

Fixed. You can OC on any land (well, you need a stupid piece of paper for state parks), you just cannot enter the buildings.

Last edited:

markush

As long it isn't posted, carry on.

Just one sign at their open air entrance isn't going to be enforceable, correct? They would have to post every entrance of every building on their "campus", yes? Can anyone tell me if they are posted?

Last edited:

protias

Just one sign at their open air entrance isn't going to be enforceable, correct? They would have to post every entrance of every building on their "campus", yes? Can anyone tell me if they are posted?

Correct, Yes, no idea.

markush

Wasn't there a thread some time ago where a mall posted signs at the parking lot entrances but not on the building?

scratching my head I have to say...maybe...

Anyone been to the Racine zoo to know if they defaced all of their buildings with no gun signs?

Brendon .45

Peoples' Republic of Madison, Wisconsin, USA
Is the Racine Zoo open air and free to enter?

The Henry Vilas Zoo in Madison is both free to enter and mostly open air. There was a big stink (this IS Madison...) about trying to post the zoo property as a whole; but they ended up just posting EVERY building on site. You can go in CC or OC, but good luck if you need a restroom...

markush

The Henry Vilas Zoo in Madison is both free to enter and mostly open air. There was a big stink (this IS Madison...) about trying to post the zoo property as a whole; but they ended up just posting EVERY building on site. You can go in CC or OC, but good luck if you need a restroom...

It's not free but you pay at an outside window then enter through a gate. Wait....when we were there last year we went through the gift shop to leave...now I'm trying to remember if we HAD to go through the gift shop to get out...arrrgh I need someone who has been there recently!

The Racine Zoo is not posted in any way.

Last edited:

bspiller

I was thinking of going there myself. I called the Racine County Sheriffs office and they said as long as there was no signs it was ok to carry at the zoo. Guess I'll take a chance :)

paracharlie

Just so happens that I'm one of the Security Officers at the zoo. I called and talked to the director. They are going to post the buildings and the campus is free to ccw. Grounds are city owned so its taking little while to get done is all. All great people there, nothing to worry about. Bring your kids to the new playground area in the Land of Giants, great place to play. There ya go.

H

Herr Heckler Koch

They are going to post the buildings ... All great people there, nothing to worry about. Bring your kids to the new playground area ..., great place to play. There ya go.
Great place to play outside of the defense free indoors.

markush

All great people there, nothing to worry about.

You left out one very important phrase..."trust me". :rolleyes:

On march 20th I edited post #10 to include that the zoo was NOT posted. But hurry because it sounds like a couple of people are working towards changing that by making phone calls to inform them of their oversight.

mearlus

I was there recently and I only saw one building posted (tried to look at as many as I could but our kids kept me busy). I specifically noticed no sings on buildings where products or services were sold (kids rides). I'll be looking harder at the rest of the buildings next time we're there. This experience made me think they want our money but don't want us to view the animals in the buildings :p

protias

You left out one very important phrase..."trust me". :rolleyes:

On march 20th I edited post #10 to include that the zoo was NOT posted. But hurry because it sounds like a couple of people are working towards changing that by making phone calls to inform them of their oversight.
We now know where it works...You would think someone who fought for our freedom would at least respect it. I guess it was more part of the SS.
I was there recently and I only saw one building posted (tried to look at as many as I could but our kids kept me busy). I specifically noticed no sings on buildings where products or services were sold (kids rides). I'll be looking harder at the rest of the buildings next time we're there. This experience made me think they want our money but don't want us to view the animals in the buildings :p

Just as any other freedom hating place.

Last edited:

Teej

Never call and ask.

^ That. A MILLION times that.

If despite making an appropriate attempt to locate prominent signage you find none, then:

Rule #1: DON'T ASK.
Rule # 1a: Don't "congratulate".
Rule 2: See rule #1.

If you find a place posted, and you choose not to patronize them because of it...let them know why, preferably in writing to management. Then tell us.

But if they're not posted, see above. If you bring their attention to the fact that they're not posted, that's often enough to GET it posted.

Last edited: