Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 39

Thread: The Left's Psychological Assault on Independence

  1. #1
    Regular Member Beretta92FSLady's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    In My Coffee
    Posts
    5,278

    The Left's Psychological Assault on Independence

    "The most important question, then, is, "How to change the direction of the cycle?" The answer: Individuals with a strong internal locus must preach the value of independence. They must teach those they encounter -- their family, friends, colleagues, and especially the disadvantaged (whom they should make extra efforts to reach out to through voluntary service) -- that as human beings with free will, we are responsible for our own actions, that we are not the victims of fate, and that we will achieve happiness and self-esteem if we take hold of our lives and never let go.

    The worst-case scenario for the individual who is moved to take responsibility for his own actions and who believes he controls his fate is that regardless of whether or not he gains any monetary benefit, he will at least gain a sense of autonomy and self-respect. The best-case scenario is that he will influence others around him to adopt his view. If this conversion occurs for enough people, all over the country, then there may be hope for the American Republic yet."

    http://www.americanthinker.com/2010/...al_assaul.html
    I was nosing around pages today, and found this little gem. There are a couple of things that I do not agree with but overall I agree that individuals who do not feel nor know how to empower self, they ought to be taught how to empower themselves.

    Of course, I do take issue with the title of the piece since I am a firm believer that there is equal blame to go along the political spectrum. Unfortunately individuals are not encouraged to be independent, and then when sh*t hits the fan (Katrina, etc.) individuals are pleading for help, and bitching that the Government wasn't quick enough to assist.

    Another quote, from another page:

    " ... unconditional welfare is a crime against the poor. ..." http://home.mira.net/~andy/works/dependency.htm
    Damn right! I agree. Generally of course.
    I don't mind watching the OC-Community (tea party 2.0's, who have hijacked the OC-Community) cannibalize itself. I do mind watching OC dragged through the gutter. OC is an exercise of A Right. I choose to not OC; I choose to not own firearms. I choose to leave the OC-Community to it's own self-inflicted injuries, and eventual implosion. Carry on...

  2. #2
    Founder's Club Member PrayingForWar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    The Real World.
    Posts
    1,705
    Quote Originally Posted by Beretta92FSLady View Post
    I was nosing around pages today, and found this little gem. There are a couple of things that I do not agree with but overall I agree that individuals who do not feel nor know how to empower self, they ought to be taught how to empower themselves.

    Of course, I do take issue with the title of the piece since I am a firm believer that there is equal blame to go along the political spectrum. Unfortunately individuals are not encouraged to be independent, and then when sh*t hits the fan (Katrina, etc.) individuals are pleading for help, and bitching that the Government wasn't quick enough to assist.

    Another quote, from another page:



    Damn right! I agree. Generally of course.
    With that ridiculous icon, and this post I want to congratulate you on several hours of sobriety.

    Have you really been a conservative all along and just regurgitated all the lefitist crap for the sake of arguement?
    If you ladies leave my island, if you survive recruit training. You will become a minister of death, PRAYING FOR WAR...

  3. #3
    Regular Member Beretta92FSLady's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    In My Coffee
    Posts
    5,278
    Quote Originally Posted by PrayingForWar View Post
    With that ridiculous icon, and this post I want to congratulate you on several hours of sobriety.

    Have you really been a conservative all along and just regurgitated all the lefitist crap for the sake of arguement?
    Unfortunately, I am Liberal; it's a brain structure thing.
    I don't mind watching the OC-Community (tea party 2.0's, who have hijacked the OC-Community) cannibalize itself. I do mind watching OC dragged through the gutter. OC is an exercise of A Right. I choose to not OC; I choose to not own firearms. I choose to leave the OC-Community to it's own self-inflicted injuries, and eventual implosion. Carry on...

  4. #4
    Regular Member Jack House's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    I80, USA
    Posts
    2,661
    Quote Originally Posted by Beretta92FSLady View Post
    Unfortunately, I am Liberal; it's a brain structure thing.
    You mean lack thereof? Name:  050.gif
Views: 137
Size:  197 Bytes

  5. #5
    Regular Member Beretta92FSLady's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    In My Coffee
    Posts
    5,278
    Quote Originally Posted by JTHunter View Post
    Then may God help you when the SHTF because the government isn't likely to be in a position to assist you. You will be on your own, probably for the first time, and will be as adrift as an unborn child whose umbilical has detached. All your guns and bravado will be useless.
    Sad.
    If SHTF, I am one Liberal you don't want to come beating on my door to steal my survival storage. And I have a partner, and four kids that know how to shoot firearms...and/or reload.

    I am sure if there were looters at my door, after I drop a couple of them the rest will not want to deal with my place. There are easier targets.
    Last edited by Beretta92FSLady; 03-19-2012 at 01:51 AM.
    I don't mind watching the OC-Community (tea party 2.0's, who have hijacked the OC-Community) cannibalize itself. I do mind watching OC dragged through the gutter. OC is an exercise of A Right. I choose to not OC; I choose to not own firearms. I choose to leave the OC-Community to it's own self-inflicted injuries, and eventual implosion. Carry on...

  6. #6
    Regular Member Beretta92FSLady's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    In My Coffee
    Posts
    5,278
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack House View Post
    You mean lack thereof? Name:  050.gif
Views: 137
Size:  197 Bytes
    I am under the impression there are people out there that think Liberals have brain damage.
    I don't mind watching the OC-Community (tea party 2.0's, who have hijacked the OC-Community) cannibalize itself. I do mind watching OC dragged through the gutter. OC is an exercise of A Right. I choose to not OC; I choose to not own firearms. I choose to leave the OC-Community to it's own self-inflicted injuries, and eventual implosion. Carry on...

  7. #7
    Regular Member OC for ME's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    White Oak Plantation
    Posts
    12,269
    'Liberalism' is a genetic trait. What one does with the genes one has is a function of their environment. Unfortunately, loony-lib-sock-puppets waste their genetic talent on a 'government centric' philosophy that has proven to fail time and again.

    Liberals are liberals first and foremost.....how else can one explain Catholics voting for pro-abortion democrats. Clearly, genetics plays a role in their decision making process.....it certainly is not logic.
    "I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it." - Thomas Jefferson.

    "Better that ten guilty persons escape, than that one innocent suffer" - English jurist William Blackstone.
    It is AFAIK original to me. Compromise is failure on the installment plan, particularly when dealing with so intractable an opponent as ignorance. - Nightmare

  8. #8
    Regular Member Beretta92FSLady's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    In My Coffee
    Posts
    5,278
    Quote Originally Posted by OC for ME View Post
    'Liberalism' is a genetic trait. What one does with the genes one has is a function of their environment. Unfortunately, loony-lib-sock-puppets waste their genetic talent on a 'government centric' philosophy that has proven to fail time and again.

    Liberals are liberals first and foremost.....how else can one explain Catholics voting for pro-abortion democrats. Clearly, genetics plays a role in their decision making process.....it certainly is not logic.
    So, the first portion of your post implies self-Determinism, then the latter portion of your post implies Fate.

    So much for Choice in party affiliation, no matter how you dice it.
    I don't mind watching the OC-Community (tea party 2.0's, who have hijacked the OC-Community) cannibalize itself. I do mind watching OC dragged through the gutter. OC is an exercise of A Right. I choose to not OC; I choose to not own firearms. I choose to leave the OC-Community to it's own self-inflicted injuries, and eventual implosion. Carry on...

  9. #9
    Regular Member OC for ME's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    White Oak Plantation
    Posts
    12,269
    No.....more like a 'you can lead a horse to water, but....'
    "I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it." - Thomas Jefferson.

    "Better that ten guilty persons escape, than that one innocent suffer" - English jurist William Blackstone.
    It is AFAIK original to me. Compromise is failure on the installment plan, particularly when dealing with so intractable an opponent as ignorance. - Nightmare

  10. #10
    Regular Member Beretta92FSLady's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    In My Coffee
    Posts
    5,278
    Quote Originally Posted by OC for ME View Post
    No.....more like a 'you can lead a horse to water, but....'
    It is possible the stench, and muddiness of the water is not palatable to the horse.
    I don't mind watching the OC-Community (tea party 2.0's, who have hijacked the OC-Community) cannibalize itself. I do mind watching OC dragged through the gutter. OC is an exercise of A Right. I choose to not OC; I choose to not own firearms. I choose to leave the OC-Community to it's own self-inflicted injuries, and eventual implosion. Carry on...

  11. #11
    Regular Member OC for ME's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    White Oak Plantation
    Posts
    12,269
    You, obviously, know little about horses.
    "I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it." - Thomas Jefferson.

    "Better that ten guilty persons escape, than that one innocent suffer" - English jurist William Blackstone.
    It is AFAIK original to me. Compromise is failure on the installment plan, particularly when dealing with so intractable an opponent as ignorance. - Nightmare

  12. #12
    Regular Member Beretta92FSLady's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    In My Coffee
    Posts
    5,278
    Quote Originally Posted by OC for ME View Post
    You, obviously, know little about horses.
    Which is why we ought not use parables that relate humans and horses.
    I don't mind watching the OC-Community (tea party 2.0's, who have hijacked the OC-Community) cannibalize itself. I do mind watching OC dragged through the gutter. OC is an exercise of A Right. I choose to not OC; I choose to not own firearms. I choose to leave the OC-Community to it's own self-inflicted injuries, and eventual implosion. Carry on...

  13. #13
    Regular Member gunns's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Minnesota
    Posts
    270
    Quote Originally Posted by Beretta92FSLady View Post
    Unfortunately, I am Liberal; it's a brain structure thing.
    You have a tendency to confuse me. You are gay, by your own admission, which is normally considered liberal, but many of the things you say point to conservative. Guns, prepping, family and self determination.

    So what makes you liberal? I think you are fooling yourself, boo, you are a gay conservative, welcome to the team. LOL

  14. #14
    Regular Member Beretta92FSLady's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    In My Coffee
    Posts
    5,278
    Quote Originally Posted by gunns View Post
    You have a tendency to confuse me. You are gay, by your own admission, which is normally considered liberal, but many of the things you say point to conservative. Guns, prepping, family and self determination.

    So what makes you liberal? I think you are fooling yourself, boo, you are a gay conservative, welcome to the team. LOL
    I am pro-choice, pro-same sex marriage, anti-war, anti-nation building (both parties have an issue with this), pro-Federal Government over State rights (lesser of two evil, IMO); I don't need to go much further considering the last one.

    I do have guns, I do have preparations, I do have a family but self-Determinism is, well, a complex subject, IMO.
    Last edited by Beretta92FSLady; 03-19-2012 at 09:46 AM.
    I don't mind watching the OC-Community (tea party 2.0's, who have hijacked the OC-Community) cannibalize itself. I do mind watching OC dragged through the gutter. OC is an exercise of A Right. I choose to not OC; I choose to not own firearms. I choose to leave the OC-Community to it's own self-inflicted injuries, and eventual implosion. Carry on...

  15. #15
    Regular Member gunns's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Minnesota
    Posts
    270
    Quote Originally Posted by Beretta92FSLady View Post
    I am pro-choice, pro-same sex marriage, anti-war, anti-nation building (both parties have an issue with this), pro-Federal Government over State rights (lesser of two evil, IMO); I don't need to go much further considering the last one.

    I do have guns, I do have preparations, I do have a family but self-Determinism is, well, a complex subject, IMO.
    So you are not really liberal or conservative, sounds like your more in the middle. Not a bad place to be.

  16. #16
    Regular Member OC for ME's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    White Oak Plantation
    Posts
    12,269
    There is nothing 'less' about more federal government.

    States rights is not the same issue as desiring less federal government encroachment in our daily lives.
    "I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it." - Thomas Jefferson.

    "Better that ten guilty persons escape, than that one innocent suffer" - English jurist William Blackstone.
    It is AFAIK original to me. Compromise is failure on the installment plan, particularly when dealing with so intractable an opponent as ignorance. - Nightmare

  17. #17
    Regular Member Beretta92FSLady's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    In My Coffee
    Posts
    5,278
    Quote Originally Posted by OC for ME View Post
    There is nothing 'less' about more federal government.

    States rights is not the same issue as desiring less federal government encroachment in our daily lives.
    So you would rather have the State encroaching? No thanks, I will take the Federal Government since there is a choice between the two.
    I don't mind watching the OC-Community (tea party 2.0's, who have hijacked the OC-Community) cannibalize itself. I do mind watching OC dragged through the gutter. OC is an exercise of A Right. I choose to not OC; I choose to not own firearms. I choose to leave the OC-Community to it's own self-inflicted injuries, and eventual implosion. Carry on...

  18. #18
    Regular Member Beretta92FSLady's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    In My Coffee
    Posts
    5,278
    Quote Originally Posted by gunns View Post
    So you are not really liberal or conservative, sounds like your more in the middle. Not a bad place to be.
    In many respects I am a walking contradiction. Truth only comes in layers.
    I don't mind watching the OC-Community (tea party 2.0's, who have hijacked the OC-Community) cannibalize itself. I do mind watching OC dragged through the gutter. OC is an exercise of A Right. I choose to not OC; I choose to not own firearms. I choose to leave the OC-Community to it's own self-inflicted injuries, and eventual implosion. Carry on...

  19. #19
    Regular Member OC for ME's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    White Oak Plantation
    Posts
    12,269
    Not sure about your state, well, I don't know what state you are in. But the state I currently reside in does very little encroaching on my 2A right. The encroaching they do do is tolerable, but still a far cry from constitutional carry.

    The state and the feds are a package deal. ya can't have one,the state, without the other, the feds. though federal intrusions and encroaching could be greatly diminished and most folks would not even notice.

    Which kind of begs the question. If most folks have little direct interaction with the federal government other than via confiscatory federal taxes, why have a federal government involved in any state beyond what the Founding Fathers envisioned?
    "I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it." - Thomas Jefferson.

    "Better that ten guilty persons escape, than that one innocent suffer" - English jurist William Blackstone.
    It is AFAIK original to me. Compromise is failure on the installment plan, particularly when dealing with so intractable an opponent as ignorance. - Nightmare

  20. #20
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    SW Idaho
    Posts
    1,552

    Question

    Quote Originally Posted by Beretta92FSLady View Post
    So you would rather have the State encroaching? No thanks, I will take the Federal Government since there is a choice between the two.
    Why would any sane person, when given the awful choice between two governments to encroach on his liberties, choose the government which is further removed from his vote?
    Total ignorance: an Obama supporter's stock in trade
    Quote Originally Posted by Beretta92FSLady View Post
    All the talk about Overthrowing Big Government, Revolution, etc., it's just another one of those nostalgic ideas that individuals have idealized.
    O RLY?
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...and_rebellions
    Quote Originally Posted by Beretta92FSLady View Post
    Books are overrated; and so is history.

  21. #21
    Regular Member DrakeZ07's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Lexington, Ky
    Posts
    1,107
    Quote Originally Posted by ManInBlack View Post
    Why would any sane person, when given the awful choice between two governments to encroach on his liberties, choose the government which is further removed from his vote?
    Why would any sane person make the choice of any government which encroaches on their rights in any way, shape, or form? State Government, and Federal Government, both encoraches on each persons rights. Wouldn't the logical step be a new form of government that is more stable, and equal/fair, yet doesn't trample on any one person's rights?

    In short, why choose one evil, or the other, when there ARE better options out there, both historic, and yet to be discovered.

    0.02$

    I like green.
    Last edited by DrakeZ07; 03-19-2012 at 10:10 PM.
    I'm a proud openly gay open carrier~
    Trained SKYWARN spotter, and veteran Storm Chaser.
    =^.^= ~<3~ =^.^=
    Beware the Pink Camo clad gay redneck.

  22. #22
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    SW Idaho
    Posts
    1,552
    Quote Originally Posted by DrakeZ07 View Post
    Why would any sane person make the choice of any government which encroaches on their rights in any way, shape, or form? State Government, and Federal Government, both encoraches on each persons rights. Wouldn't the logical step be a new form of government that is more stable, and equal/fair, yet doesn't trample on any one person's rights?

    In short, why choose one evil, or the other, when there ARE better options out there, both historic, and yet to be discovered.

    0.02$

    I like green.
    I agree with you in principle, although I was directly responding to Beretta's assertion that she would prefer federal encroachment. My point is that the more local a government is, generally the more responsive to a given individual's or small community's wishes it becomes. For instance, if we had a true national, popular election for president, my vote would be 1 out 315+ million (let's just assume that all citizens are eligible to vote, for the sake of ease). In a Senate election, my vote (in Idaho) is 1 out of almost 800,000. In a House of Representatives election, it is 1 out of slightly more than 500,000.

    In a state senate race, my vote is one out of 45,200 or so, and in the state house, it is one out of 22,000.

    See what I mean? The more local the government, the more power each voter has, so theoretically, the more responsive the government will be to the local population's values.
    Total ignorance: an Obama supporter's stock in trade
    Quote Originally Posted by Beretta92FSLady View Post
    All the talk about Overthrowing Big Government, Revolution, etc., it's just another one of those nostalgic ideas that individuals have idealized.
    O RLY?
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...and_rebellions
    Quote Originally Posted by Beretta92FSLady View Post
    Books are overrated; and so is history.

  23. #23
    Regular Member Beretta92FSLady's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    In My Coffee
    Posts
    5,278
    Quote Originally Posted by ManInBlack View Post
    I agree with you in principle, although I was directly responding to Beretta's assertion that she would prefer federal encroachment. My point is that the more local a government is, generally the more responsive to a given individual's or small community's wishes it becomes. For instance, if we had a true national, popular election for president, my vote would be 1 out 315+ million (let's just assume that all citizens are eligible to vote, for the sake of ease). In a Senate election, my vote (in Idaho) is 1 out of almost 800,000. In a House of Representatives election, it is 1 out of slightly more than 500,000.

    In a state senate race, my vote is one out of 45,200 or so, and in the state house, it is one out of 22,000.

    See what I mean? The more local the government, the more power each voter has, so theoretically, the more responsive the government will be to the local population's values.
    Welcome to Republican Government. The reason that we don't have a popular vote for the office of President is because we are not a Democracy in that sense.

    I stated that given there are the two options of Federal or State encroachment, I would opt for Federal.

    I could give you a list of reasons why I would opt for the Federal Government over the State but I will leave you with one: Federal Law (Up until it is Found not-Constitutional) trumps State Law--there is a uniformity with the Federal Government regarding Laws that the States are unable to assure.

    Also, there is nothing to fear of the Federal Government, you, me, and everyone else elects those individuals to office (President, Senators, Congress-people).
    I don't mind watching the OC-Community (tea party 2.0's, who have hijacked the OC-Community) cannibalize itself. I do mind watching OC dragged through the gutter. OC is an exercise of A Right. I choose to not OC; I choose to not own firearms. I choose to leave the OC-Community to it's own self-inflicted injuries, and eventual implosion. Carry on...

  24. #24
    Regular Member Beretta92FSLady's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    In My Coffee
    Posts
    5,278
    Quote Originally Posted by OC for ME View Post
    Not sure about your state, well, I don't know what state you are in. But the state I currently reside in does very little encroaching on my 2A right. The encroaching they do do is tolerable, but still a far cry from constitutional carry.

    The state and the feds are a package deal. ya can't have one,the state, without the other, the feds. though federal intrusions and encroaching could be greatly diminished and most folks would not even notice.

    Which kind of begs the question. If most folks have little direct interaction with the federal government other than via confiscatory federal taxes, why have a federal government involved in any state beyond what the Founding Fathers envisioned?
    You have pointed out precisely why I would opt for the Federal Government over the State, one word (Three!): Uniformity in Law.
    I don't mind watching the OC-Community (tea party 2.0's, who have hijacked the OC-Community) cannibalize itself. I do mind watching OC dragged through the gutter. OC is an exercise of A Right. I choose to not OC; I choose to not own firearms. I choose to leave the OC-Community to it's own self-inflicted injuries, and eventual implosion. Carry on...

  25. #25
    Regular Member OC for ME's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    White Oak Plantation
    Posts
    12,269
    States are sovereign and the federal government speaks for the states in matters relating to the several states. Where the several states can not agree upon issues between the several states the federal government may have the authority under the federal constitution to intervene. The federal government has far exceeded its enumerated powers under the federal constitution.

    Article 1, Sections 8 thru 10

    The federal government was intended to have little interaction with any one state or the several states. The federal constitution guarantees that the several states can not infringe upon our fundamental and enumerated rights. Other than that, the federal government is to be remote and non-interfering in the matters of the several states.

    States Without a Specific RKBA Constitutional Provision

    From a practical standpoint, the federal government is the last place you would want to go to to address why your town does fix pot holes on your street. Because the town, via the county/state, would not have the authority, or at a minimum the accountability to you. If the town/county/state is off the hook because the federal government, via your uniformity of law premise, can simply tell you to go and talk to the feds. This is what low level bureaucrats do, pass it off up the chain.
    "I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it." - Thomas Jefferson.

    "Better that ten guilty persons escape, than that one innocent suffer" - English jurist William Blackstone.
    It is AFAIK original to me. Compromise is failure on the installment plan, particularly when dealing with so intractable an opponent as ignorance. - Nightmare

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •