• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OC in Louisville

hermannr

I am not from KY, but our (WA) constitution and laws are quite similar....my advice...read and KNOW your specific laws, then read them again and again, and keep up with any changes. I have RCW 9.41 (our law) on my quick links.

I noticed you asked about car carry...Think about this. That pistol in it's holster on your hip is a danger to no-one...every time you remove it from the holster it becomes a danger to everyone in the area, including yourself. Leave it in the holster and leave the holster on your hip (until you get home).

If you "need" to go somewhere that it is prohibited...find an alternate...yes, there is even an alternate to the PO...it is called "Click-N-Ship" and it is at www.USPS.com. Your bank doesn't want you to carry? Change banks. etc.. IMHO, the alternate is to leave the weapon at home, which is not going to happen in my case anyway. I just do not remove my carry for any reason (except for SD, and I have never needed to for that reason, yet) when I am out and about. Lots of reasons, but you may get to the same point sometime. I have carried for over 40 years. (mostly OC, mostly unlicensed OC) Never been a problem.

ken6881

I am new to open carrying and this is my first post on this website. I have been reading a lot the past few weeks on laws and made the choice to open carry today for the first time in public when I went to get groceries.
I have a question for those who open carry in Louisville have you had any problems with with Kroger near cardinal stadium? I have been in there multiple times and checked the doors for "anti gun" signs and I have seen none however I could have missed it. I did not have a issue until checking out when the cashier asked me if I was a leo or if i had my ccdw license. I said no. He then told me that it is a weapon free zone. I asked him where was this sign to inform customers. He replied it should be posted. By this point I had finished paying and left. I checked Krogers website and cannot find anything regarding it and the doors one more time as I left. I assume he was quoting something from the employee hand book.

ken6881

Kroger has a corporate policy of not interfering with customers, legally, carrying guns, either OC or CC, in their stores. Employees are prohibited from carry weapons of any type, Never ask or suggest that a store post a sign or that is what they will do. I don't recall anyone having any problems in a Kroger store. There may be isolated employees who don't know the policy, if you are confronted and asked to leave just ask the name of the employee that asked you to leave and leave. Then call Kroger's corporate office and complain and tell them what happened, where and who was involved. Also, not a bad idea to tell them about the tons o money that you spend there every week. There may be a letter from Kroger stating their policy somewhere on this board. I'll see if I can find it.

thank you very much and I will support not mentioning signs it was a just off the top of my head why have a policy like that and not state it in plain view. if you find that letter do you think it would be wise to take it with me the next time I go to this kroger?

Brian D.

I am new to open carrying and this is my first post on this website. I have been reading a lot the past few weeks on laws and made the choice to open carry today for the first time in public when I went to get groceries.
I have a question for those who open carry in Louisville have you had any problems with with Kroger near cardinal stadium? I have been in there multiple times and checked the doors for "anti gun" signs and I have seen none however I could have missed it. I did not have a issue until checking out when the cashier asked me if I was a leo or if i had my ccdw license. I said no. He then told me that it is a weapon free zone. I asked him where was this sign to inform customers. He replied it should be posted. By this point I had finished paying and left. I checked Krogers website and cannot find anything regarding it and the doors one more time as I left. I assume he was quoting something from the employee hand book.

I think you and gutshot nailed it; the employee was possibly confusing his employee handbook with the Kentucky Revised Statutes or something. Maybe he'll get over it someday, like the dude in my tale below.

An employee of a large party store in northern Ky. once told me the same thing "No guns on the property!" was how he put it. A brief chat with the GM of the place (personal acquaintence of mine) and the matter was solved quickly and amicably. The would-be do-gooder employee actually turned out to be a pretty decent guy, hell he eventually figured out on his own that having a certain percentage of customers lawfully armed was a POSITIVE thing.

KRM59

I live right there close to that Kroger and have gone in there many time while OC'ing never had one word said to me.But then again i go everywhere OC'ing.

ken6881

I live right there close to that Kroger and have gone in there many time while OC'ing never had one word said to me.But then again i go everywhere OC'ing.

That's good to hear I go to UofL and cant carry to class or I would carry more often and this just happened to be the first place I went while OC'ing It has not deterred me though and I am planning to get my CCDW soon as well so I can do both when I choose to.

Volksford

I too have just started to OC in Louisville. i just got my CCW as well so I am covered both ways. I have found an almost personal obligation to OC. I do wish someone would make a sticky as to places that are OC friendly vs the ones that are not. Maybe locations to avoid or not to spend our money at.

09jisaac

I don't know why everyone is calling for a sticky of firearm friendly/opposed businesses all of a sudden. They are populating like rabbits. We have a guy who has a WHOLE website devoted to that whole thing and it is very well maintained.

Statesman

I too have just started to OC in Louisville. i just got my CCW as well so I am covered both ways. I have found an almost personal obligation to OC. I do wish someone would make a sticky as to places that are OC friendly vs the ones that are not. Maybe locations to avoid or not to spend our money at.

See this thread. Someone needs to make the following thread sticky. It was done a long time ago.

http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/s...-list-of-OC-friendly-or-unfriendly-businesses

Volksford

As I am new to the site and did not see a sticky at the top of our state forum I made a suggestion. Also Louisville is bit more hostal to OCers and CC so any help to us in Louisville is great.