Thread: Sb59

Sb59

”To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them.”
    -George Mason

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qqVeXbBdSOQ
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WbD2zsar7Ps
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NEqkDABoddM

Banned
    I thought one was to sign up to read these.

I can't control what people do....I will keep my word and I won't be posting about it until tomorrow morning.
    Last edited by TheQ; 03-19-2012 at 10:28 PM.
    Call for a cop, call for an ambulance, and call for a pizza. See who shows up first.

I am not a lawyer (merely an omnipotent member of a continuum). The contents of this post are not a substitute for sound legal advice from a licensed attorney in your jurisdiction.

Comments and views stated in my post are my own and do not necessarily represent the views of Michigan Open Carry, Inc. unless stated otherwise in the post.

Banned

Thumbs up

Looks pretty good so far.

This is what Michigan Students for Concealed Carry said when I posted the link to their status about Sb 59.

Xander - what you've posted is essentially the case. We expect to be able to talk about this openly by the end of tomorrow.

Needless to say, we're excited about this. We HAVE seen the full copy of the bill. It's a very, very long bill - there are an enormous number of provisions far above the ones listed above. We haven't gone through all the language with a fine-tooth comb yet, but we've been in touch with the legislative staffers and seen summaries of the bill - all of which check out.

For our purposes, this is definitely something that gives us what we want.

We WILL have a chance to make our voices heard on this issue, so it's extremely important that everyone stay tuned. We won't have a lot of notice on the committee hearing time, and we need to do everything we can to pack that room.
    "No state shall convert a liberty to a privilege, license it, and charge a fee therefor.- Murdock vs Pennsylvania 319 US 105

...If the state converts a right into a privelege, the citizen can ignore the license and fee and engage in the right... with impunity.
    - Shuttleworth vs City of Birmingham, Alabama 317 US 262

Where rights secured by the Constitution are involved, there can be no legislation which would abrogate them.
    - Miranda vs Arizona 384 US 436

We do need to pack the room. It's planned to be heard on Thursday at 8:30 AM in Lansing. I can't guarantee the agenda won't change between now and then -- but I'd appreciate the mere attendance of those who can attend.
    Call for a cop, call for an ambulance, and call for a pizza. See who shows up first.

I am not a lawyer (merely an omnipotent member of a continuum). The contents of this post are not a substitute for sound legal advice from a licensed attorney in your jurisdiction.

Comments and views stated in my post are my own and do not necessarily represent the views of Michigan Open Carry, Inc. unless stated otherwise in the post.

Banned
    I wonder if they are going to sit on this one too?

Quote Originally Posted by stainless1911 View Post
    I wonder if they are going to sit on this one too?

How do you mean "sit on this"?

Banned
    I cant remember the #, bit the one to eliminate PFZs that was introduced last year.

Quote Originally Posted by TheQ View Post
    We do need to pack the room. It's planned to be heard on Thursday at 8:30 AM in Lansing.
    If you post the details I can probably attend.
    "If we lose freedom here, there's no place to escape to."
    "Liberals claim to want to give a hearing to other views, but then are shocked and offended to discover that there are other views." – William F. Buckley
    "...go home from us in peace. We seek not your counsel, nor arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you. May your chains set lightly upon you; and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen." – Samuel Adams
    Wheels

Quote Originally Posted by griffin View Post
    If you post the details I can probably attend.
    If I can post details, I will. I've posted more than my legislative handlers would have allowed me so far to this point.

I have read the bill...that's pretty much the high points.

I cant remember the #, bit the one to eliminate PFZs that was introduced last year.
    SB 58, you mean.

We expect this one to be heard this Thursday in front of the Senate Natural Resources Committee. I'll be there on behalf of MOC. Brady will be there on behalf of MCRGO. Both orgs will support the bill.

Packing the room with gun owners would help the cause a lot. Let's all do our best.
    Last edited by TheQ; 03-20-2012 at 12:00 AM.

if i can ill be there.
    -George Mason

PSS
    Should be PPS.

http://www.beedictionary.com/common-errors/pss_vs_pps

Bronson
    Those who expect to reap the benefits of freedom, must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it. – Thomas Paine

Quote Originally Posted by Bronson View Post
    I'll keep that in mind I can't edit what its done or the archives though...

8:30 AM
    There is no good reason why anything should take place that early in the morning? 6 am is for going to bed, not getting up,

Bronson
    Those who expect to reap the benefits of freedom, must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it. – Thomas Paine

hey Q I'm having trouble finding who the members of that committee are. Is Senate leader Randy Richardville one of them?
    If guns cause crime, all mine are defective- Ted Nugent

Quote Originally Posted by detroit_fan View Post
    hey Q I'm having trouble finding who the members of that committee are. Is Senate leader Randy Richardville one of them?
    At this point in time we aren't asking anyone to make contact with any committee members. Stay tuned, that may change shortly.

At this point in time we aren't asking anyone to make contact with any committee members. Stay tuned, that may change shortly.
    OK.

I recently(within last month) contacted Randy since he is my state senator and the senate leader to ask him for some positive 2A legislation this session and he relied back-

"I have always supported the right to bear arms and as an adamant Second Amendment supporter, I’ve long championed efforts to uphold (and restore) gun owners’ rights. I am still working with my colleagues on changing the laws in regards to concealed weapons. We are making this issue a priority for 2012. It is a very important issue for myself and many others in my caucus. I appreciate your continued interest in this matter."

so hopefully this has his support too
    If guns cause crime, all mine are defective- Ted Nugent

Looks pretty good so far.
    Except for training for a seperate license(more red tape control)!
    With a CPL,we can already carry in PFZs!We do not need seperate license and training to do this.We just need the law to eliminate CC restrictions.It's that simple.But we are talking about the government being simple!NOT!!!
    Last edited by hamaneggs; 03-20-2012 at 06:58 PM.
    Today JESUS would tell me to sell my coat and buy two Springfield XD Compact 45acp's!

NRA LIFER,GOA,MOC Inc.,CLSD,MCRGO,UAW! MOLON LABE!!

Banned
    Believe me, I'm on your side here. This is just, IMO a stepping stone. It won't affect me directly anyhow, but if it helps to restore someones rights, I'm in.

It could very well mean that a person could CC where they otherwise would have been asked to leave, ie. Waterford Schools, or a bar, hospital etc... That means they have a chance of defending themselves when otherwise they would have been unarmed. We'll get constitutional carry, and OC/Transport eventually. Just keep pluggin' away at it.

-George Mason

this will affect me seeing as how i am a delivery driver for a local pizza shop and often deliver to the bar having to disarm first.
    -George Mason

Banned
    This is excellent news!

Kudos to all who have helped to get this going.

CALL TO ACTION!CALL TO ACTION!CALL TO ACTION!CALL TO ACTION!CALL TO ACTION!CALL TO ACTION!CALL TO ACTION!CALL TO ACTION!CALL TO ACTION!CALL TO ACTION!CALL TO ACTION!CALL TO ACTION!

A Call to action by MOC President Phillip Hofmeister.

The email (linked above) includes drafts of the bill.

CALL TO ACTION!CALL TO ACTION!CALL TO ACTION!CALL TO ACTION!CALL TO ACTION!CALL TO ACTION!CALL TO ACTION!CALL TO ACTION!CALL TO ACTION!CALL TO ACTION!CALL TO ACTION!CALL TO ACTION!

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast