• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Sb59

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

Bikenut

If they don't, the reporters will report that the sheriffs are constantly losing money and having to pay punitive damages to applicants. It will be a field day.

Election day will come for the Sheriff.
Hold on.... does this bill effectively do away with "shall issue" by leaving the decision up to the Sheriff like it was before?

Remember MCL 123.1102... a law with absolutely no teeth? Will this be another situation where the only "teeth" is public opinion?

xmanhockey7

Hold on.... does this bill effectively do away with "shall issue" by leaving the decision up to the Sheriff like it was before?

Remember MCL 123.1102... a law with absolutely no teeth? Will this be another situation where the only "teeth" is public opinion?

No in fact this law has teeth. Lets say they deny you because well they just don't want to issue permits. If the court find that they're doing it just to do it they must pay the application fee plus a penalty of up to $500 and they have to pay for all legal fees (lawyer, court, etc).

WilDChilD

I was at the meeting this morning. It went well if your in favor of this bill. Only one opposed and that was just because of funding. Many people spoke with some very good points. I would like thank Q and any others that helped with this bill, I am excited to see it passed.

xmanhockey7

I was at the meeting this morning. It went well if your in favor of this bill. Only one opposed and that was just because of funding. Many people spoke with some very good points. I would like thank Q and any others that helped with this bill, I am excited to see it passed.

Sweet! I've been waiting for someone to post about it.

B

Bikenut

No in fact this law has teeth. Lets say they deny you because well they just don't want to issue permits. If the court find that they're doing it just to do it they must pay the application fee plus a penalty of up to $500 and they have to pay for all legal fees (lawyer, court, etc).
Thanks Xman...

detroit_fan

thanks to those of you that made the trip today to support this. i'm not trying to get ahead of myself, but if it passed the committee so positively it seems it should pass the senate no problem. how are things looking in the house?

TheQ

detroit_fan

What funding concerns were there?

stainless1911

Banned
Oakland county has one of the most funded police forces in the state. They have the resources to fly around in helicopters , have sports cars for cruisers and enough time to prosecute criminals and non criminals alike, they can just go sit in a corer and shut up.

Venator

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter
Oakland county has one of the most funded police forces in the state. They have the resources to fly around in helicopters , have sports cars for cruisers and enough time to prosecute criminals and non criminals alike, they can just go sit in a corer and shut up.
The under-sheriff stated they spend like $400,000 a year to process CPLs but only get like $170,000 back from fees. The figures are from memory, but I think are close. The point is they subsidize the CPLs in their county.

stainless1911

Banned
Why should it cost so much?

When we present our case to Lansing for Constitutional Carry, it would be wise for us to bring these figures for every single county and use them to argue our point. It is apparently costing the state millions of dollars to maintain an unconstitutional system that only serves to empower criminals, and put lives at risk.

Venator

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter
Why should it cost so much?

When we present our case to Lansing for Constitutional Carry, it would be wise for us to bring these figures for every single county and use them to argue our point. It is apparently costing the state millions of dollars to maintain an unconstitutional system that only serves to empower criminals, and put lives at risk.
Ask the Sheriff.

fozzy71

Obviously I haven't read the bill yet, but was curious:

If this passes, will someone with a CPL still be able to OC in the PFZ's like they can now (regardless of whether they have gotten the extra training)? I almost never go into PFZ's but I OC 99.9% of everywhere I go so I was curious if this bill would suddenly make CC required where OC was required previously.

Last edited:

Haman J.T.

For those who cannot afford the extra training,like me and those who make much less than I do,this is cost prohibitive and unconstitutional! I did mention in my emails to the 4 senators that I believe the hundreds or thousands of rounds a current CPL holder fires,prior to renewing,should give them automatic exemption on their new CPL!

stainless1911

Banned
How much extra do you think its going to cost? You're talking about training, right? 200 rounds is about 85$ if you dont reload, 11$ if you do.

ETA If I can do what I can do with next to nothing, anybody can. I dont buy the "I cant afford" it excuse.

Last edited:

Yooper

How much extra do you think its going to cost? You're talking about training, right? 200 rounds is about 85$ if you dont reload, 11$ if you do.

ETA If I can do what I can do with next to nothing, anybody can. I dont buy the "I cant afford" it excuse.

Ammo, class costs, baby sitters, gas, day off of work, etc.
I don't like paying for a right, and this is paying more for additional rights. I will call my Senator (Casperson) and tell him to support it, but let him know of my objections to it.

He is a co-sponsor of SB58, so I'm sure he'll vote for SB59.

Status
Not open for further replies.