• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Justice Department, FBI to probe shooting death of Florida teen

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
If you physically injure/kill someone you have, among other things, violated their civil rights. You do not have to be a government entity/employee to commit this crime. The FBI investigates civil rights abuse cases. Both circumstances have been the way things are ever since the Civil Rights Act of 1964 was passed.

There are folks from all three sides of the fence who are both sitting in a federal prison and under obligation as part of their sentencing to pay large sums of money in compensation for violating the civil rights of those they injured/killed. Not that there's a tinker's chance they will ever actually pay the first penny.

Hope this basic explanation helps.,

stay safe.

Beretta92FSLady

Zimmerman is in hot water, IMO. Zimmerman, "F*cking C00ns" 2:22.

[video=youtube;mOpGAOXL5Uk]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mOpGAOXL5Uk&feature=player_embedded[/video]

Last edited:

thebigsd

Founder's Club Member
Zimmerman is in hot water, IMO. Zimmerman, "F*cking C00ns" 2:22.

[video=youtube;mOpGAOXL5Uk]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mOpGAOXL5Uk&feature=player_embedded[/video]

I agree that he is in hot water. As new information continues to come to light it just looks worse and worse for him.

Beretta92FSLady

I agree that he is in hot water. As new information continues to come to light it just looks worse and worse for him.

And the police department. Although, the police department will get off, Zimmerman won't. Murder under Federal hate crime is life in prison, from what I understand.

thebigsd

Founder's Club Member
And the police department. Although, the police department will get off, Zimmerman won't. Murder under Federal hate crime is life in prison, from what I understand.

Still not sure why people are saying he is white. He certainly looks Hispanic to me. I mean it could be a hate crime either way, but still.

Last edited:

Beretta92FSLady

Still not sure why people are saying he is white. He certainly looks Hispanic to me.

He is Hispanic. Sharpton was referring to Zimmerman as white; then again, Sharpton only sees black, and white, IMO. Hate crimes aren't geared towards whites only even though it might seem to be the case.

Last edited:

RegalNC

The "Media" was first o refer to the shooter as White

He is Hispanic. Sharpton was referring to Zimmerman as white; then again, Sharpton only sees black, and white, IMO. Hate crimes aren't geared towards whites only even though it might seem to be the case.

This is not about Sharpton, this is about a person that chose to confront a teenager walking through the neighbor and ending up shooting him for what appears unjustified reasons. IMHO

Jack House

Ya know, it's a blatant example of hypocrisy whereby everyone is harping on the fact the kid was black and that the reasons for Zimmerman's suspicions were possibly based on his race, all the while automatically assuming that Zimmerman is white. :rolleyes:

People are focusing too much on the wrong things. All that matters is how the fight started and why he followed the boy. It seems pretty clear why he followed the boy, so all that's left of importance is what happened during the confrontation.

Dreamer

I am watching MSNBC right now, the host is giving me a freaking heachache.

The media has already started dancing in the blood of young Mr. Martin, saying that FL's "Stand Your Ground" law is a "crazy self-defense law"...

When Lawrence O'Donnell used that phrase "crazy self-defense law" (2:56) tonight and called the spread of this law through the USA a "contagion" (1:18), I nearly threw my dinner at the TV. (I've included time stamps for Beretta92FSLady)

http://video.msnbc.msn.com/the-last-word/46803754/#46803754

I guess they don't remember WHY the "stand your ground" laws were pushed through in the first place--it was a way to allow women who were the victims of domestic abuse to use lethal force in self-defense against their crazy abusive husbands. Previously, it was not legally acceptable for a wife to use lethal force against her husband--even in self-defense--in their own home. The "Stand Your Ground" laws changed that.

But now, the media trying to paint SYG laws as if they are some sort of "license to kill", which is a blatant lie. They are demonizing this law and saying that the LAW caused the shooting, and the LAW is "shielding" the shooter. More lies and logical fallacies...

This shoot has a LOT of unanswered questions. Did the victim confront the shooter when he was approached, or did he just keep walking. Was the victim beligerent, or did he physically respond in any way? Did he make verbal threats? We don't know, and probably never will...

I find it difficult to believe that there was no real investigation done. Perhaps the Prosecutor, Norman Wolfinger, has some sort of personal connection with the shooter or his father.

After all, Sanford PD and the Brevard/Seminole County--18th Circuit Court Prosecutor's office is sort of known for this sort of judicial mismanagement...

Last edited:

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
Ya know, it's a blatant example of hypocrisy whereby everyone is harping on the fact the kid was black and that the reasons for Zimmerman's suspicions were possibly based on his race, all the while automatically assuming that Zimmerman is white.

I fail to see what the one has to do with the other. Zimmerman looks pretty obviously hispanic to me anyway; I wonder if you're not assuming that people are assuming he's white.

Everyone knows that there is no racial discord between the hispanic and black communities, right? None whatsoever. :rolleyes:

Z1P2

I really don't understand how the stand your ground law could possibly cover Zimmerman when Zimmerman was the one who stalked and murdered the teenager... the teenager would be the one that would be covered under the stand your ground law since he was being stalked by an armed murderer, he had the right to defend himself... Zimmerman did not have the right to stalk and murder the kid. I just don't understand why Zimmerman would in any way, shape or form be shielded from prosecution by that law. Maybe someone can explain it to me.

Last edited:

Beretta92FSLady

The media has already started dancing in the blood of young Mr. Martin, saying that FL's "Stand Your Ground" law is a "crazy self-defense law"...

When Lawrence O'Donnell used that phrase "crazy self-defense law" (2:56) tonight and called the spread of this law through the USA a "contagion" (1:18), I nearly threw my dinner at the TV. (I've included time stamps for Beretta92FSLady)

[snip]

First, I can't stand O'Donnell. Second, hearing him relating "stand your ground" to this particular shooting is disingenuous but I have to trust that listeners to his nonsense like that don't buy into the sh*t.

thebigsd

Founder's Club Member
SNIP Zimmerman looks pretty obviously hispanic to me anyway; I wonder if you're not assuming that people are assuming he's white.

Not at all, early news stories reported that the police were saying that he was white. In addition, all of the early media coverage indicated that Zimmerman was white. I think just about everyone now knows that he is Hispanic.

va_tazdad

Florida screwed the pooch

I know that there is already a thread on this shooting but this article brings up many new topics of discussion.

http://usnews.msnbc.msn.com/_news/2...shooting-death-of-florida-teen-trayvon-martin

How is the FBI getting involved in a state case? Personally, I think this was a bad shoot but it should be handled at the local/state level.

Whereas neither the local or state law encorcement agencies investigated, it has fallen to the FBI to investigate why they have not done their job and because the young man's civil rights were violatyed by his death. There is also the minor problem of the media winding up the "black community" against everyone because the "white man" didn't get arrested as he should have.

In simple terms, Florida screwed the pooch and the feds have to fix it again.