• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Glock 34 -- any opinions

Karl

I hate the idea of buying a gun that has no use other than carry. I bought a G34 and will soon be picking it up (after I "cool down").

I bought it as a range toy, preferring a longer sight radius than the 17 offers. Also, the weight difference among Glocks is trivial, especially since I'm used to steel guns that make any Glock feel like a feather. I've never done IDPA, but it fits their box just in case I decide to try, unlike the 17L that's a tad too long for IDPA.

Anyone else here carry a G34? I assume it's within reason. After all, no larger than a 1911 and when fully loaded still lighter than an empty 1911.

I've also never carried before. I'd love to hear what holster you use if you pack a G34/G35. In a few weeks I should get my carry license. So now I have to get down the the nitty gritty details of how & where to actually attach a gun to my person. It was simple when I only had to support carry in theory all while Wisconsin said "NO!" The devil is in the details it seems.

tabigarasu

The Devil

I hate the idea of buying a gun that has no use other than carry. I bought a G34 and will soon be picking it up (after I "cool down").

I bought it as a range toy, preferring a longer sight radius than the 17 offers. Also, the weight difference among Glocks is trivial, especially since I'm used to steel guns that make any Glock feel like a feather. I've never done IDPA, but it fits their box just in case I decide to try, unlike the 17L that's a tad too long for IDPA.

Anyone else here carry a G34? I assume it's within reason. After all, no larger than a 1911 and when fully loaded still lighter than an empty 1911.

I've also never carried before. I'd love to hear what holster you use if you pack a G34/G35. In a few weeks I should get my carry license. So now I have to get down the the nitty gritty details of how & where to actually attach a gun to my person. It was simple when I only had to support carry in theory all while Wisconsin said "NO!" The devil is in the details it seems.

It is the details. Because of the length of the barrel, you're gonna want a lot of leather for inside the waistband carry - extending well down your leg; likewise, because of the length of the barrel, if you don't like IWB carry, you're gonna need a new wardrobe and manner of movement to maintain concealment. This whole process is a game of compromises. What do I want to carry and what am I willing to wear to accommodate it? I've got a guy for custom IWB. If I'm trying to conform to CCW laws, I wouldn't carry that length of barrel any other way.

Xulld

I OC'd one for a couple years in NC. I used a blackhawk Serpa.

Great gun, I have ~15,000 through mine with only a few hicups that all were either ammo, or operator errors. It is a little long but as you said its really equal in overall length to a 1911 with a beaver tail. I picked up a G26 for normal carry, but still LOVE the 34. I have never tried to conceal the 34, I did not find any production holsters for it that where not OWB.

Last edited:

Karl

I OC'd one for a couple years in NC. I used a blackhawk Serpa.

I will have to look into that holster. At this point I can only name a few companies that make holsters. Seems holsters are a whole complex subject, within the already complicated world of firearms.

Great gun, I have ~15,000 through mine with only a few hicups that all were either ammo, or operator errors. It is a little long but as you said its really equal in overall length to a 1911 with a beaver tail. I picked up a G26 for normal carry, but still LOVE the 34. I have never tried to conceal the 34, I did not find any production holsters for it that where not OWB.

Stuffing any gun in my pants doesn't sound real comfortable, which is what has me seriously considering open carry. My local gun shop has a G26 for rent, so I could give that a try. I noticed the weight difference between the 34 & 26 is just under 7 ounces, a good portion of which can be accounted for by the 7 rounds of ammo difference. With how light Glocks already are, it seems turning them into shrinky dinks doesn't do much to reduce weight, just size.

Karl

This whole process is a game of compromises. What do I want to carry and what am I willing to wear to accommodate it?

Yeah, I've noticed the compromise issue. Guns that are so small as to easily conceal are a horror to shoot. Just think of the under-10 ounce Ruger LCP where slight bumps are alleged to be sights.

I've got a guy for custom IWB. If I'm trying to conform to CCW laws, I wouldn't carry that length of barrel any other way.

Being in Wisconsin, I won't have to worry about any legal issues regarding my gun showing. Open carry is legal. I'll just have to deal with the stares of folks who think wearing a gun means you should be in a padded room. And deal with cops who inquire as to why I'm wearing a gun. "Because, it's my right, officer. Thanks for asking."

Yard Sale

Glock 34 -- any opinions
Cons: Crappy trigger, crappy sights, strange cycling feel, overpriced, not legal for GSSF Amateur/Stock

Pros: Light weight makes for more comfortable carry, reliable, IDPA and USPSA legal

As someone who has put a lot of rounds through models 26, 19, and 17, the 34 feels very strange to me. I suppose one could tailor a load or change the recoil spring and guide rod to make the cycling feel right.

Last edited:

Karl

Cons: Crappy trigger, crappy sights, strange cycling feel, overpriced, not legal for GSSF Amateur/Stock

I've felt far worse triggers, like the XD-M 5.25 Competition which is clearly trying to out-Glock the 34. Never even thought of GSSF when buying it, though that could be an issue for some. Agree, Glock isn't going to win any award for their odd sights.

Pros: Light weight makes for more comfortable carry, reliable, IDPA and USPSA legal

As someone who has put a lot of rounds through models 26, 19, and 17, the 34 feels very strange to me. I suppose one could tailor a load or change the recoil spring and guide rod to make the cycling feel right.

Feels very similar to a 17 I rented some weeks earlier & put 350 rounds through. Finally picked up the 34 yesterday, and I was quite pleased overall. Feels quite similar to the 17 IMO after 150 rounds thus far through the 34 (I used all the 9mm ammo I had on me).

The cycling feels fine to me, but then I must admit I have limited comparisons.

Xulld

I cant make heads or tails of this impression given my experiences. If anything I think it cycles much more smoothly than my other Glocks, I think that is more to do with the size of the slide, and the little cutout for "balance" (Glocks claim). (Also the fact I have 10 times the rounds thru this gun vs my other Glocks.)

Crappy trigger: Id have to get you to explain this as well. The 3.5 lb disconnect feels really good to me. Like most triggers it takes getting used to. If I shoot my Glock 26 a bunch then go back to the 34, the fact it is much lighter leads me to shoot before I am ready, but after 50 rounds or so I am back in form again.

Anyways, each to there own, I love my 34. Team Glock seem to put it to good use as well, and its very popular in USPSA production matches.

Last edited:

FilthyIlls

I carry a glock 34 IWB with a comp-tac Infidel. It might not be super comfortable, but that's what usually comes with carrying a gun. I usually wear a short sleeve button down unbuttoned over a t-shirt with some shorts. Summers here are brutal, but I can still carry it and not have to be uncomfortable in what I am wearing.