• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Open Carry in North Carolina specifically Iredell County

mstrplmber

Hi I am new to this forum, and I found it by viewing you tube videos. I have owned a Taurus PT-92 9mm semi-auto for 30 years now. I live in N.C. I have searched the Internet to try and find out what the Open Carry laws are in N.C. I have not been able to find information pertaining to open carry. I have searched the N.C. General Statutes to no avail. I even contacted the Iredell County Sherriff's department and was told they have literature on open carry, but could not give me any information for a website that pertains to that particular issue. I was told they could mail me a copy which I decided not to do. I was then instructed to call back in 10 minutes to speak with an officer which I did not do. I do not wish to have a concealed carry permit even though I could. I feel I have the right according to the 2nd amendment to bear arms. One of the articles I ran accross in my internet search said that different counties in N.C. have different laws about open carry, but there was no pertinent information about individual counties. I have been robbed 2 times in my life both were home invasions in which I was at home, unfortunately I was not anywhere near my 9mm, and fortunately I was not hurt. Ever since the last incident which was in 1999 I open carry in my house and my car. While in the car I place it on the passenger's seat. If anyone could supply me with some answers I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks in advance to any response I receive.

Spirit4earth

NC is an open-carry state. However, I'm sure individual counties and municipalities can make up laws. Go to USA Carry. They'll have the info you need.

mstrplmber

I appreciate the info on USA Carry, howeverI still did not find the answers I am looking for. I would like specific information on Iredell County. Thanks

ManInBlack

1) You'll probably get more and better answers by posting in the North Carolina state forum.

2) Laws describe prohibited conduct. They do not provide an exhaustive list of all legal behavior. You will not find a law that says you can openly carry a firearm, that you can possess a loaded mag while open carrying, etc., etc.

3) Google is your friend. You say you have checked the North Carolina statutes; here are the Iredell County ordinances: http://library.municode.com/index.aspx?clientId=12084

According to the North Carolina page located here: http://opencarry.org/nc.html
Complete state preemption of firearms laws except localities may regulate the possession of firearms:
  • In public-owned buildings
  • On the grounds or parking areas of those buildings
  • In public parks or recreation areas
Additionally, under NC Code Chapter 14 � 160A.189, a city may by ordinance ... regulate the display of firearms on the streets, sidewalks, alleys, or other public property.

While the word "display" does not appear to be defined in the Code, some localities in NC have adopted, or are considering adopting ordinances like the city of Chapel Hill's which restrict the open carry of handguns.

This was challenged in State v. Fennell (1989) and the NC Court of Appeals upheld previous NC court decisions stating that the guarantee of an individual right to openly bear arms in the NC constitution was subject to reasonable regulation declaring that "a pistol shall not be under a certain length."

NOTE: Almost all states allow local regulation of the discharge of firearms

With this in mind, I would also look up the ordinances of any cities you frequent within Iredell County just to be on the safe side.

I also typed "open carry" "iredell county" into google and got plenty of results. I would start digging through those.

Open carry is great, but if you don't know the law, you can get into a lot of trouble. In my opinion, it's worth the effort to do some legwork on your own and not rely on internet opinions.

Just my $0.02.

Last edited:

aosailor

I appreciate the info on USA Carry, howeverI still did not find the answers I am looking for. I would like specific information on Iredell County. Thanks

Where did you get this "info" that every county in NC has different laws about OC? I live in Iredell county, Mooresville to be exact and there are no special or different rules here than the surrounding counties or NC state law. Just know where you can and cant carry per state/federal law and you will be fine

**I've been OCing everyday through out this entire state for about 5yrs.

Last edited:

solus

You need to put quotation marks on the " I wont be wronged, I wont be insulted, and I wont be laid hands on>" Its a John Wayne quote from the :Shootist"

tgm, welcome to the OC forum and your first post but, i believe you might find the thread you posted to died, oh, almost two years ago?

how's you OC'g in NC going tho?

ipse

American Patriot

If there is not a law against it, then it is legal. OC is legal in NC. There are some prohibited areas, but they are few.