• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Greater Lynchburg Transit Company No Weapons

Jero1987

I had a question for some of you more legally minded folks. GLTC (the bus company) for lynchburg does take public funds.
They also according to their website ban all weapons: http://www.gltconline.com/page.php?...e/Services/General_Operations_Information.xml
Wouldn't they fall under pre-emption?

Thanks!
James

P.S. I could also be wrong about the tax payer funding. I just thought they did take some city/tax money. Just wanted to see if any lynchburg area people knew some details.

P.S.S. It does take > $1 million from tax payers. (page 11 of proposed budget) http://www.mediafire.com/?44bdi7al87ct9qt

Last edited:

jmelvin

Founder's Club Member
GLTConline resource titled "The Economic Impact of GLTC on the Lynchburg Region" dated February 15, 2010 indicates in Chapter 2 "GLTC was established in 1974 as a non-profit company owned by the City of Lynchburg, Virginia. Its mission is "to provide safe, dependable, affordable, accessible, and high quality public transportation to the Central Virginia community"". The paper also states that the GLTC Board of Directors are appointed by the Lynchburg City Council. The Board of Directors selects a management company to oversee daily operations and implement Board decisions. First Transit Management services is the current management company and provides various support roles to GLTC.

Sounds like we have ourselve a 15.2-915 infraction to me as GLTC is owned by the City of Lynchburg and First Transit Management is the city's agent in the operation of the city's bus service. Jero want to sit down and discuss over dinner how to do a "cease and desist" type letter later this week?

User or VCDL President if you peek in on this discussion do you have any suggestions for a situation like this? I've addressed a few counties over their 15.2-915 infractions and they've changed their ways, but I'm not sure if I go the same way with a city's agent.

Last edited:

TFred

What do I know from squat, but from looking at the info presented, it seems like a slam dunk! Good find!

My comment would be to first assume that they are ignorant, and generally law-abiding folks. If you show them the law, and their exposure to liability from litigation, that should spur quick action. If not, then you take off the gloves!

TFred

Last edited:

jmelvin

Founder's Club Member
Sounds like a good approach TFred. That's the approach I used with Campbell County for their parks, and Tazewell for their parks too. It worked in both cases.

Snazuolu

now that LU has stopped their contract with GLTC, will they even survive?? falwell also said he'd like to do away with the train station downtown and put it somewhere near LU. wouldnt surprise me if he takes it over soon

half_life1052

LU?

Assume nothing about what LU has said publicly. Wait for them to actually take action. Then you will know their true intentions.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
Gentlemen, load your cameras, prime your recorders, poison your pens.....and CHARGE! :uhoh:

images

Jero1987

now that LU has stopped their contract with GLTC, will they even survive?? falwell also said he'd like to do away with the train station downtown and put it somewhere near LU. wouldnt surprise me if he takes it over soon

As long as they take $1.15 million from VA taxpayers, they better follow the law.

ed

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
Loudoun County - Dulles Airport, Virginia, USA
Just got an email. I believe our friend Ed has gotten the ban removed. Woot!
Dear Mr Levine:
>
> I have received your email about the automated announcement on GLTC's
> buses concerning weapons. I have consulted with legal counsel and we are
> removing the notice on the website immediately, and will update our PA
> system and any printed material as soon as practical.
>
> Thank you for bringing this issue to our attention.
>
> Respectfully,
>
> Michael J. Carroll
>
> General Manager, GLTC
> PO Box 797
> Lynchburg, VA 24505
> 434.455.5084 (V)
> 434.847.8621 (F)
> 434.546.3029 (C)
> "Go Green, Ride Blue"

Jero1987

Just got an email. I believe our friend Ed has gotten the ban removed. Woot!

Dear Mr Levine:

I have received your email about the automated announcement on GLTC's buses concerning weapons. I have consulted with legal counsel and we are removing the notice on the website immediately, and will update our PA system and any printed material as soon as practical.

Thank you for bringing this issue to our attention.

Respectfully,

Michael J. Carroll

jmelvin

Founder's Club Member
Good stuff, thanks Ed for sending the note and Jero for identifying this issue. For some reason my workplace has GLTConline blocked so this saves me from having to access it at home, instead of during a coffee break or such.

Last edited:

riverrat10k

Nice catch Jero, and what can I say, Ed?

Ya' know I think we should all look into Ed's postcard thingy. As jmelvin noted, sometimes all it takes is a polite note that they could have liability.

Well done to the three of you!

zoom6zoom

It definitely proves that the polite, "hey, just trying to prevent a problem for you" approach definitely is better than immediately being confrontational.

Of course, if they don't go for the velvet glove, the iron fist is always in reserve inside.