Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Chicago cop: 'Your 1st Amendment rights can be terminated'

Chicago cop: 'Your 1st Amendment rights can be terminated'

It's on topic, trust me....

Chicago cop: ‘Your First Amendment rights can be terminated…’

A short-term detainment by police of two Chicago newsmen over the weekend as they worked a story about a 6-year-old child who was fatally shot is now flaring…

http://www.examiner.com/gun-rights-i...-be-terminated

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Workman View Post
    It's on topic, trust me....

Chicago cop: ‘Your First Amendment rights can be terminated…’

A short-term detainment by police of two Chicago newsmen over the weekend as they worked a story about a 6-year-old child who was fatally shot is now flaring…

http://www.examiner.com/gun-rights-i...-be-terminated
    1) what does this have to do with Washington?
    2) What does it have to do with Open Carry? Sure it has to do with a Right, just not the Right this forum is dedicated to.

Thanks for the spam Dave.

DELETED BY ADMINISTRATOR: Not something we want discussed here

BTW Dave, did you read the recent Federal Court ruling on fair use?
    https://www.eff.org/deeplinks/2012/0...nging-fair-use

Now I can quote you all I want, and your threats to sue are meaningless ;P Not saying I will, because I don't usually ready your stuff, but I can if I want lol.

Remember how that worked out for RightHaven. They didn't lose a little -- they lost EVERYTHING -- including all the IP they owned.
    http://www.techdirt.com/articles/201...-auction.shtml
    Last edited by Dave_pro2a; 03-20-2012 at 04:44 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave_pro2a View Post
    2) What does it have to do with Open Carry? Sure it has to do with a Right, just not the Right this forum is dedicated to.

Well, you didn't read the column, then, did you?

You get down a ways and there you find the abbreviated story about one Robert Stratton (a.k.a. Sudden Valley Gunner) and his adventures with the Bellingham police, and how these incidents are indicative of how some cops think they can "terminate" your civil rights.

You go ahead and quote me all you want.

You didn't read the article otherwise you'd realize that you are acting like a tool.

Thanks for not contributing.

As the sidenote, great read Dave.
    Quote Originally Posted by Beretta92FSLady
    I am no victim, just a poor college student who looks to the day where the rich have the living piss taxed out of them.

Quote Originally Posted by VW_Factor View Post
    You didn't read the article otherwise you'd realize that you are acting like a tool..
    According to Workman's reasoning: the Gay Marriage issue is relevant to this Open Carry forum. It has to do with Rights after all.

At the very least, his spam could have gone in the Illinois sub-forum.
    Last edited by Dave_pro2a; 03-20-2012 at 05:44 PM.

You go ahead and quote me all you want.
    Quoted, in case you ever threaten to sue me again :P

" About three years ago in Bellingham, a man named Robert Stratton was walking down Samish Way when he was confronted by a police officer with a drawn pistol. Stratton is an open carry activist and he was briefly detained. Stratton subsequently went to the police department to file a complaint, and there – according to his account to this column – was handcuffed and arrested and advised that if went to city hall, he would be arrested again. He was allegedly not allowed to file a complaint, and allegedly threatened with further harassment if he continued to open carry.

Stratton contacted an attorney and pursued a legal action against Bellingham police that lasted more than a year. Ultimately, the department settled out of court.

Alas – as we witnessed in 2011 in Canton, OH and covered most recently by this column – some individual officers go to extremes even with citizens who carry concealed.

Despite the best efforts of activists, working with police agencies, some police in Washington and elsewhere still don’t get it, and thus one sees confrontations in which an individual cop might just declare that “your rights can be terminated if you’re creating a scene or whatever.”

It may be educational to the mainstream press for this sort of thing to happen occasionally between reporters and cops. It reminds people that in addition to having their First Amendment rights “terminated,” other rights are equally at risk unless and until people like Stratton step up to the plate, or a Chicago film crew captures one of these moments and it goes viral across the Internet."

He mentions SVG's issue with Bellingham PD, I usually try to read a citation or link, before I spout off about the relevance, but your mileage may vary.

Continue reading on Examiner.com Chicago cop: ‘Your First Amendment rights can be terminated…’ - Seattle gun rights | Examiner.com http://www.examiner.com/gun-rights-i...#ixzz1phDcToaJ

you are acting like a tool.
    Well, considering your sig line, you don't have room to criticize.

Quote Originally Posted by Vitaeus View Post
    " About three years ago in Bellingham, a man named Robert Stratton was walking down Samish Way when he was confronted by a police officer with a drawn pistol. Stratton is an open carry activist and he was briefly detained. Stratton subsequently went to the police department to file a complaint, and there – according to his account to this column – was handcuffed and arrested and advised that if went to city hall, he would be arrested again. He was allegedly not allowed to file a complaint, and allegedly threatened with further harassment if he continued to open carry.

Stratton contacted an attorney and pursued a legal action against Bellingham police that lasted more than a year. Ultimately, the department settled out of court.

Alas – as we witnessed in 2011 in Canton, OH and covered most recently by this column – some individual officers go to extremes even with citizens who carry concealed.

Despite the best efforts of activists, working with police agencies, some police in Washington and elsewhere still don’t get it, and thus one sees confrontations in which an individual cop might just declare that “your rights can be terminated if you’re creating a scene or whatever.”

It may be educational to the mainstream press for this sort of thing to happen occasionally between reporters and cops. It reminds people that in addition to having their First Amendment rights “terminated,” other rights are equally at risk unless and until people like Stratton step up to the plate, or a Chicago film crew captures one of these moments and it goes viral across the Internet."

He mentions SVG's issue with Bellingham PD, I usually try to read a citation or link, before I spout off about the relevance, but your mileage may vary.

Continue reading on Examiner.com Chicago cop: ‘Your First Amendment rights can be terminated…’ - Seattle gun rights | Examiner.com http://www.examiner.com/gun-rights-i...#ixzz1phDcToaJ

Thx
    Evidently somebody didn't read far enough...

:-)

Quote Originally Posted by Vitaeus View Post

If Workman hadn't written it I would have But I consider him kind of a hack.

And his posts are essentially spam imho... especially in light of how he seldom makes a post that is NOT shameless self promotional in nature (a drive by link to his own writings).

If he wants to use forums solely to further his writing career, then he should buy banner ads imho, like any other COMMERCIAL enterprise.
    Last edited by Dave_pro2a; 03-20-2012 at 05:58 PM.

Well, considering your sig line, you don't have room to criticize.
    I have all the room I'd like to have to criticize anything and everything I would like.

You're welcome.
    Quote Originally Posted by Beretta92FSLady
    I am no victim, just a poor college student who looks to the day where the rich have the living piss taxed out of them.

You didn't read the article otherwise you'd realize that you are acting like a tool.

Thanks for not contributing.

As the sidenote, great read Dave.
    +1.

This guy is always getting his Cheerios pissed in.

Sent by Droid

Wow! Smells like grudge in here.

Thanks for the good read Mr. Workman.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave in Edmonds View Post
    Wow! Smells like grudge in here.

Thanks for the good read Mr. Workman.
    Well, it smells like something.

I'm still waiting for him to figure out that if he doesn't care to read my stuff...he simply needs to not read it.

Gentelmen, while I do not always agree with Dave, I do like to read what he has to say, as I do everyones viewpoint...you do know that opinions are like back sides? Everyone has one and they all stink. including mine.

Regular Member sudden valley gunner's Avatar
    Would it be biased if I said I enjoyed this article?

The 2A is just as important as our other rights and I think Dave did a good job tying that theme together. I think to remind folks to stand up for our fundamental rights is important.
    I am not anti Cop I am just pro Citizen.

U.S. v. Minker, 350 US 179, at page 187
    "Because of what appears to be a lawful command on the surface, many citizens, because
    of their respect for what only appears to be a law, are cunningly coerced into waiving their
    rights, due to ignorance." (Paraphrased)

Quote Originally Posted by sudden valley gunner View Post
    Would it be biased if I said I enjoyed this article?

The 2A is just as important as our other rights and I think Dave did a good job tying that theme together. I think to remind folks to stand up for our fundamental rights is important.
    That of course, was the idea. And no bias indicated

It appears to have hit a nerve with some of the other forums where it is showing up, too. Evidently, Chicago isn't the only place where certain coppers think they can "terminate your rights."
    Last edited by Dave Workman; 03-20-2012 at 08:35 PM.

According to Workman's reasoning: the Gay Marriage issue is relevant to this Open Carry forum. It has to do with Rights after all.

At the very least, his spam could have gone in the Illinois sub-forum.
    HINT: I consider Dave Workman a friend and one of the good ones. To paraphrase the good book, it profiteth one not to pick a fight with a friend of the Administrator.

Quote Originally Posted by Administrator View Post
    HINT: I consider Dave Workman a friend and one of the good ones. To paraphrase the good book, it profiteth one not to pick a fight with a friend of the Administrator.
    Hey, thanks for the official clarification/warning.

I shalln't criticize Dave Workman any further on this forum.

Interesting article. SVG is right about all the rights tying together. People who pick and choose are no better than those who want to take away the rights you like.

Regular Member sudden valley gunner's Avatar
    That of course, was the idea. And no bias indicated

It appears to have hit a nerve with some of the other forums where it is showing up, too. Evidently, Chicago isn't the only place where certain coppers think they can "terminate your rights."

This is why I don't buy the "bad apple" argument. It isn't just "isolated" incidents. I would be curious to look at some of those other links. This is really the only forum I am a steady member of.
    I am not anti Cop I am just pro Citizen.

U.S. v. Minker, 350 US 179, at page 187
    "Because of what appears to be a lawful command on the surface, many citizens, because
    of their respect for what only appears to be a law, are cunningly coerced into waiving their
    rights, due to ignorance." (Paraphrased)

Quote Originally Posted by sudden valley gunner View Post
    This is why I don't buy the "bad apple" argument. It isn't just "isolated" incidents. I would be curious to look at some of those other links. This is really the only forum I am a steady member of.
    There's a great big internet out there. You're a good guy with good ideas, and imho you should participate in other gun forums too.

Many have much larger WA sub forums (or WA membership numbers) than this one. Go out and be a good influence

Founder's Club Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Administrator View Post
    John 486:28 I've read that! I think there is a psalm that speaks to the same point.
    I'll make you an offer: I will argue and fight for all of your rights, if you will do the same for me. That is the only way freedom can work. We have to respect all rights, all the time--and strive to win the rights of the other guy as much as for ourselves.

If I am equal to another, how can I legitimately govern him without his express individual consent?

There is no human being on earth I hate so much I would actually vote to inflict government upon him.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast