• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Chicago cop: 'Your 1st Amendment rights can be terminated'

Dave_pro2a

It's on topic, trust me....

Chicago cop: ‘Your First Amendment rights can be terminated…’

A short-term detainment by police of two Chicago newsmen over the weekend as they worked a story about a 6-year-old child who was fatally shot is now flaring…

http://www.examiner.com/gun-rights-...your-first-amendment-rights-can-be-terminated

1) what does this have to do with Washington?
2) What does it have to do with Open Carry? Sure it has to do with a Right, just not the Right this forum is dedicated to.

Thanks for the spam Dave.

Dave_pro2a

BTW Dave, did you read the recent Federal Court ruling on fair use?
https://www.eff.org/deeplinks/2012/...-excerpt-online-forum-non-infringing-fair-use

Now I can quote you all I want, and your threats to sue are meaningless ;P Not saying I will, because I don't usually ready your stuff, but I can if I want lol.

Remember how that worked out for RightHaven. They didn't lose a little -- they lost EVERYTHING -- including all the IP they owned.
http://www.techdirt.com/articles/20...ned-now-transferred-to-receiver-auction.shtml

Last edited:

Dave Workman

2) What does it have to do with Open Carry? Sure it has to do with a Right, just not the Right this forum is dedicated to.

Well, you didn't read the column, then, did you?

You get down a ways and there you find the abbreviated story about one Robert Stratton (a.k.a. Sudden Valley Gunner) and his adventures with the Bellingham police, and how these incidents are indicative of how some cops think they can "terminate" your civil rights.

You go ahead and quote me all you want.

VW_Factor

You didn't read the article otherwise you'd realize that you are acting like a tool.

Thanks for not contributing.

As the sidenote, great read Dave.

Dave_pro2a

You didn't read the article otherwise you'd realize that you are acting like a tool..

According to Workman's reasoning: the Gay Marriage issue is relevant to this Open Carry forum. It has to do with Rights after all.

At the very least, his spam could have gone in the Illinois sub-forum.

Last edited:

Vitaeus

" About three years ago in Bellingham, a man named Robert Stratton was walking down Samish Way when he was confronted by a police officer with a drawn pistol. Stratton is an open carry activist and he was briefly detained. Stratton subsequently went to the police department to file a complaint, and there – according to his account to this column – was handcuffed and arrested and advised that if went to city hall, he would be arrested again. He was allegedly not allowed to file a complaint, and allegedly threatened with further harassment if he continued to open carry.

Stratton contacted an attorney and pursued a legal action against Bellingham police that lasted more than a year. Ultimately, the department settled out of court.

Alas – as we witnessed in 2011 in Canton, OH and covered most recently by this column – some individual officers go to extremes even with citizens who carry concealed.

Despite the best efforts of activists, working with police agencies, some police in Washington and elsewhere still don’t get it, and thus one sees confrontations in which an individual cop might just declare that “your rights can be terminated if you’re creating a scene or whatever.”

It may be educational to the mainstream press for this sort of thing to happen occasionally between reporters and cops. It reminds people that in addition to having their First Amendment rights “terminated,” other rights are equally at risk unless and until people like Stratton step up to the plate, or a Chicago film crew captures one of these moments and it goes viral across the Internet."

He mentions SVG's issue with Bellingham PD, I usually try to read a citation or link, before I spout off about the relevance, but your mileage may vary.

Continue reading on Examiner.com Chicago cop: ‘Your First Amendment rights can be terminated…’ - Seattle gun rights | Examiner.com http://www.examiner.com/gun-rights-...ndment-rights-can-be-terminated#ixzz1phDcToaJ

Dave Workman

" About three years ago in Bellingham, a man named Robert Stratton was walking down Samish Way when he was confronted by a police officer with a drawn pistol. Stratton is an open carry activist and he was briefly detained. Stratton subsequently went to the police department to file a complaint, and there – according to his account to this column – was handcuffed and arrested and advised that if went to city hall, he would be arrested again. He was allegedly not allowed to file a complaint, and allegedly threatened with further harassment if he continued to open carry.

Stratton contacted an attorney and pursued a legal action against Bellingham police that lasted more than a year. Ultimately, the department settled out of court.

Alas – as we witnessed in 2011 in Canton, OH and covered most recently by this column – some individual officers go to extremes even with citizens who carry concealed.

Despite the best efforts of activists, working with police agencies, some police in Washington and elsewhere still don’t get it, and thus one sees confrontations in which an individual cop might just declare that “your rights can be terminated if you’re creating a scene or whatever.”

It may be educational to the mainstream press for this sort of thing to happen occasionally between reporters and cops. It reminds people that in addition to having their First Amendment rights “terminated,” other rights are equally at risk unless and until people like Stratton step up to the plate, or a Chicago film crew captures one of these moments and it goes viral across the Internet."

He mentions SVG's issue with Bellingham PD, I usually try to read a citation or link, before I spout off about the relevance, but your mileage may vary.

Continue reading on Examiner.com Chicago cop: ‘Your First Amendment rights can be terminated…’ - Seattle gun rights | Examiner.com http://www.examiner.com/gun-rights-...ndment-rights-can-be-terminated#ixzz1phDcToaJ

Thx
Evidently somebody didn't read far enough...

:)

Dave_pro2a

If Workman hadn't written it I would have ;) But I consider him kind of a hack.

And his posts are essentially spam imho... especially in light of how he seldom makes a post that is NOT shameless self promotional in nature (a drive by link to his own writings).

If he wants to use forums solely to further his writing career, then he should buy banner ads imho, like any other COMMERCIAL enterprise.

Last edited:

hermannr

Gentelmen, while I do not always agree with Dave, I do like to read what he has to say, as I do everyones viewpoint...you do know that opinions are like back sides? Everyone has one and they all stink. including mine.

sudden valley gunner

Would it be biased if I said I enjoyed this article? :cool:

The 2A is just as important as our other rights and I think Dave did a good job tying that theme together. I think to remind folks to stand up for our fundamental rights is important.

Dave Workman

Would it be biased if I said I enjoyed this article? :cool:

The 2A is just as important as our other rights and I think Dave did a good job tying that theme together. I think to remind folks to stand up for our fundamental rights is important.

That of course, was the idea. And no bias indicated :D

It appears to have hit a nerve with some of the other forums where it is showing up, too. Evidently, Chicago isn't the only place where certain coppers think they can "terminate your rights."

Last edited:

John Pierce

Administrator
Staff member
According to Workman's reasoning: the Gay Marriage issue is relevant to this Open Carry forum. It has to do with Rights after all.

At the very least, his spam could have gone in the Illinois sub-forum.

HINT: I consider Dave Workman a friend and one of the good ones. To paraphrase the good book, it profiteth one not to pick a fight with a friend of the Administrator. :)