• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Stop amd ID yourself law

cmr287

I have been tld there is NO stop and Identify your self law in this state. The only way a LEO can legally ID you is if you have intent to commit or in the act of commiting a crime. Where can I find this Law to print. I'd like to see it in black and while. Any help would be great.
Take care,
V/R
Chris

H

Herr Heckler Koch

Remember your Fourth and Fifth Amendment Rights!

Here is the statute. Good luck. Identify does not mean surrender your documents, but to say your name. A proper demand Papieren, Bitte! for your papers requires that you be detained with cause. I am not a lawyer. Take legal advice only from your personal attorney that has been bound to the canons by payment.

GEORGIA CODE Copyright 2011 by The State of Georgia All rights reserved.

*** Current Through the 2011 Extraordinary Session ***

TITLE 16. CRIMES AND OFFENSES
CHAPTER 11. OFFENSES AGAINST PUBLIC ORDER AND SAFETY
ARTICLE 2. OFFENSES AGAINST PUBLIC ORDER

O.C.G.A. § 16-11-36 (2011)

§ 16-11-36. Loitering or prowling

(a) A person commits the offense of loitering or prowling when he is in a place at a time or in a manner not usual for law-abiding individuals under circumstances that warrant a justifiable and reasonable alarm or immediate concern for the safety of persons or property in the vicinity.

(b) Among the circumstances which may be considered in determining whether alarm is warranted is the fact that the person takes flight upon the appearance of a law enforcement officer, refuses to identify himself, or manifestly endeavors to conceal himself or any object. Unless flight by the person or other circumstances make it impracticable, a law enforcement officer shall, prior to any arrest for an offense under this Code section, afford the person an opportunity to dispel any alarm or immediate concern which would otherwise be warranted by requesting the person to identify himself and explain his presence and conduct. No person shall be convicted of an offense under this Code section if the law enforcement officer failed to comply with the foregoing procedure or if it appears at trial that the explanation given by the person was true and would have dispelled the alarm or immediate concern.

(c) A person committing the offense of loitering or prowling shall be guilty of a misdemeanor.

(d) This Code section shall not be deemed or construed to affect or limit the powers of counties or municipal corporations to adopt ordinances or resolutions prohibiting loitering or prowling within their respective limits.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stop_and_identify_statutes

http://www.aclu.org/drug-law-reform-immigrants-rights-racial-justice/know-your-rights-what-do-if-you

Last edited:

Kingfish

Here is the statute...
This is ONLY when LE suspects you of prowling. Walking through Walmart stocking up on TP does not fit the definition of the statute mentioned.

To the OP:
There is no statute that says you don't have to produce ID. There is also no statute that says you do. Find and read up on state vs Jones. There are also a few other threads on this topic...Search is your friend.

cmr287

Thank you very much guys... I am getting as much information as I can before we have a town hall meeting with our Chief LEO. My ultimate goal is to have a peaceful Town Hall Meeting with him and our off duty officers to inform everyone of their rights as far as OC and CC go's and to bring up issuse in the Comunity in (general). I still dont have a date or time as of yet and as soon as I do I will start a thread for participation or to inform others as to what is happening in other counties. This is strictly peaceful! I have the ut-most respect for our LEO's as they are sworn to uphopld and protect the citizens of our community.~(THANK YOU) for your roll in keeping the peace~
V/R
Chris

cmr287

This sucks as to see how everything is open to interpretation. So what I understand and please correct me if I am out of my freaking mind. I can not find anywhere the says You have to show your ID, however if you don't they can make thing uncomfortable for you! I believe the only time you must show ID id if the person is under suspicion or in the act of committing, Both of which you MUST show ID. How ever if you are not under suspicion or in the act of committing your are not required to show your ID or Carry permit? Sorry for the late responses. I just got back from the Stan. This was my second deployment in the time from from which I last posted.

Are there any Lawyers out there that can give any advice and clear up this question. Im looking for something BLACK WHITE...

Thanks for the help!

Fallschirjmäger

This sucks as to see how everything is open to interpretation. So what I understand and please correct me if I am out of my freaking mind. I can not find anywhere the says You have to show your ID, however if you don't they can make thing uncomfortable for you! I believe the only time you must show ID id if the person is under suspicion or in the act of committing, Both of which you MUST show ID. How ever if you are not under suspicion or in the act of committing your are not required to show your ID or Carry permit? Sorry for the late responses. I just got back from the Stan. This was my second deployment in the time from from which I last posted.

Are there any Lawyers out there that can give any advice and clear up this question. Im looking for something BLACK WHITE...
Thanks for the help!
No lawyers necessary; there is no section under the Georgia Code that requires you to carry an identification card. The only time you are required to possess a license is when performing a licensed activity (such as driving) and where the code specifies that a license must be displayed. That being the case, how can you be required to produce an item that you are not required to have?

In regards to carrying a firearm, the code requires that one must possess a license..
- does not provide that it must be displayed upon demand
- does not criminalize failure do do so and
- makes it an element of the crime (the police first suspect and then must prove) that you do not possess one rather than an element of the defense (you must prove your innocence in court).

Just be sure not do do anything suspicious like walking in a public park.

Last edited:

self preservation

No lawyers necessary; there is no section under the Georgia Code that requires you to carry an identification card. The only time you are required to possess a license is when performing a licensed activity (such as driving) and where the code specifies that a license must be displayed. That being the case, how can you be required to produce an item that you are not required to have?

In regards to carrying a firearm, the code requires that one must possess a license..
- makes it an element of the crime (the police first suspect and then must prove) that you do not possess one rather than an element of the defense (you must prove your innocence in court).

Just be sure not do do anything suspicious like walking in a public park.

You didn't post the sexy picture of yourself :(

Fallschirjmäger

By the way, how is the suit going?
Fallschirmjäger said:
John Monroe
Any updates/news regarding the civil lawsuit (1:12-cv-01459-WDS?) and Gary Pirkle Park?
Yrfthflsrvnt
Fallschirmjäger
John R. Monroe said:
Nope, just waiting for the court to rule whether we get to move forward with a trial.
John

Just waiting for it to wind its way through the court system. I'm still holding out hope for an amicable solution, but since the attorney for the officers is getting paid by the hour, I don't see any incentive.

Sirrah Greed

This is ONLY when LE suspects you of prowling. Walking through Walmart stocking up on TP does not fit the definition of the statute mentioned.

To the OP:
There is no statute that says you don't have to produce ID. There is also no statute that says you do. Find and read up on state vs Jones. There are also a few other threads on this topic...Search is your friend.

If you are walking through WalMart and approached by an Officer who was looking for a person identified as wearing similar clothes, skin color, etc. by an emergency call (prank) I would imagine you are required to state your name. In Georgia anyway.

Also, you DO have to produce documentation when you are operating a motor vehicle, which should be noted since they love to combine the laws of driver and person traveling on foot in the same paragraph. Read something earlier that in mid-paragraph mentioned motor vehicles and then immediately went back to being on foot.

The other part is, none of this will prevent your arrest, unlawful arrest due to poor training can't be avoided. :(

loi·ter
ˈloidər/
verb
gerund or present participle: loitering
1)stand or wait around idly or without apparent purpose.
"she saw Mary loitering near the cloakrooms"
synonyms: linger, wait, skulk; More
2)travel indolently and with frequent pauses. (MY WIFE SHOPPING, ARREST HER SO I CAN GO HOME)
"they loitered along in the sunshine, stopping at the least excuse"

Fallschirjmäger

As this has changed recently, it behooves me to correct outdated information...

O.C.G.A. § 16-11-137
Required possession of weapons carry license or proof of exemption when carrying a weapon; detention for investigation of carrying permit
(a) Every license holder shall have his or her valid weapons carry license in his or her immediate possession at all times when carrying a weapon, or if such person is exempt from having a weapons carry license pursuant to Code Section 16-11-130 or subsection (c) of Code Section 16-11-127.1, he or she shall have proof of his or her exemption in his or her immediate possession at all times when carrying a weapon, and his or her failure to do so shall be prima-facie evidence of a violation of the applicable provision of Code Sections 16-11-126 through 16-11-127.2.

(b) A person carrying a weapon shall not be subject to detention for the sole purpose of investigating whether such person has a weapons carry license.

(c) A person convicted of a violation of this Code section shall be fined not more than $10.00 if he or she produces in court his or her weapons carry license, provided that it was valid at the time of his or her arrest, or produces proof of his or her exemption.​

So, you are now required to carry your weapons license with you when carrying.
You are not required to display it to any officer to satisfy his inquisitiveness.
If you have committed some criminal act and don't have your license with you, you face a $10 fine (the same amount as not having your driving license with you when driving).

Let us now reinter this old thing.

davidmcbeth

Banned
I have been tld there is NO stop and Identify your self law in this state. The only way a LEO can legally ID you is if you have intent to commit or in the act of commiting a crime. Where can I find this Law to print. I'd like to see it in black and while. Any help would be great.
Take care,
V/R
Chris

where to find that law? no where. The courts made it up. See Terry v. Ohio, SCOTUS.

solus

where to find that law? no where. The courts made it up. See Terry v. Ohio, SCOTUS.

timely response dave, almost three years have past since the nice poster asked his question...and it has been almost two years since he has signed in...

guess he got tired of waiting for your timely response....

ipse

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
Two things for newer readers to keep in mind about "stop and identify":

1. Even though a state might not have a stop-and-identify statute, plenty of local jurisdictions might have a stop-and-identify ordinance. The few I've read all had serious penalties for refusing to comply. Six months to a year in jail, stiff fines, that sort of thing.

2. Whether you know you are doing nothing suspicious is not what counts. It is what information the cop has. The crucial point is that you do not get to decide on the scene whether the cop has genuine reason to seize you temporarily and demand your ID. It is the judge at your pre-trial hearing who decides whether the cop had genuine reason to suspect you. Meaning--after you've been arrested, posted bail, hired a lawyer, etc.

Consider and research thoroughly before deciding your own personal policy about providing ID to a cop.

OC for ME

+1

Carefully distinguish between verbally identifying oneself and surrendering identification documents. One impinges on the Fifth Amendment and the other on the Fourth Amendment.
Research what a arrest is in your state.

For example:
RSMo 544.180. Arrest. - An arrest is made by an actual restraint of the person of the defendant, or by his submission to the custody of the officer, under authority of a warrant or otherwise. The officer must inform the defendant by what authority he acts, and must also show the warrant if required.
A Terry stop in Missouri is a arrest...in my view, and as such not a peep will be heard from me. The cop will need to do cop things to get my personal information...I will be recording he doing his cop things.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
Research what a arrest is in your state.

For example:A Terry stop in Missouri is a arrest...in my view, and as such not a peep will be heard from me. The cop will need to do cop things to get my personal information...I will be recording he doing his cop things.

Had you heard about Hiibel vs 6th Judicial District Court?*

(Larry?) Hiibel refused to comply with a Nevada cop's identity demand. The cop arrested him for violating Nevada's stop-and-identify statute. Hiibel appealed all the way to SCOTUS. SCOTUS ruled--in so many words--that being required to give your name (and address?) does not violate your 5th Amendment right to remain silent.

If you or anyone else lives in a state with a stop-and-identify statute, or a locality with a stop-and-identify ordinance, you will want to read at least the official syllabus (summary) of that court case.

*The dashcam video of Hiibel's encounter with Nevada police that led to his arrest and the US Supreme Court decision is on YouTube.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=APynGWWqD8Y

Last edited:

davidmcbeth

Banned
Two things for newer readers to keep in mind about "stop and identify":

1. Even though a state might not have a stop-and-identify statute, plenty of local jurisdictions might have a stop-and-identify ordinance. The few I've read all had serious penalties for refusing to comply. Six months to a year in jail, stiff fines, that sort of thing.

2. Whether you know you are doing nothing suspicious is not what counts. It is what information the cop has. The crucial point is that you do not get to decide on the scene whether the cop has genuine reason to seize you temporarily and demand your ID. It is the judge at your pre-trial hearing who decides whether the cop had genuine reason to suspect you. Meaning--after you've been arrested, posted bail, hired a lawyer, etc.

Consider and research thoroughly before deciding your own personal policy about providing ID to a cop.

Good advice. Outside of state/local laws...the 4th amendment allows (so courts have said anyway) them to stop you with RAS and then IDing yourself (not to provide actual ID but just to ID) is required (if RAS is there). Of course, if the cop had RAS or not may be apparent to the citizen but may also not be. Now, if they already know you ... IDing is not required.

Fallschirjmäger

Even though a state might not have a stop-and-identify statute, plenty of local jurisdictions might have a stop-and-identify ordinance. The few I've read all had serious penalties for refusing to comply. Six months to a year in jail, stiff fines, that sort of thing.
Since you've read a few, I suppose you wouldn't mind providing a link to one or two? I'm interested in what communities can mandate that I carry any sort of identification with me when wandering about.