• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Denied firearm sale

abollmeyer

Hello all,

I was recently denied a transaction for the sale of a firearm by TICS. I do not have a history of mental illness, nor have I ever been committed. I have also never been arrested.

The sales person said it could be due to the fact that I was a veteran with secret clearance. Has anyone ever heard of this? Are there any other reasons that I could have been denied? I have a brother that is currently is jail for armed robbery. I've also been wondering if this could affect my background check?

Thanks in advance.

ManInBlack

I have a brother that is currently is jail for armed robbery. I've also been wondering if this could affect my background check?

Does he have a similar name? That could be a problem, although I've only heard of it resulting in delays, not denials. Then again, I've had no experience dealing with TICS, only NICS. Tennessee might have different policies.

I don't believe having possessed a secret clearance would have any effect.

abollmeyer

We both share the same last name. I would think the SSN would prevent this confusion though. Have you ever submitted an appeal with NICS? I have the form filled out online with the exception of the transaction number I am trying to get from the gun dealer.

ManInBlack

We both share the same last name. I would think the SSN would prevent this confusion though. Have you ever submitted an appeal with NICS? I have the form filled out online with the exception of the transaction number I am trying to get from the gun dealer.

No, I have never filed an appeal. In fact, I don't buy any guns from dealers these days; strictly private sale.

Since the federal government lies, lies all the time, and lies even when the truth would serve it well, I'll never be convinced that they destroy the background check record like they're supposed to. That's just too much valuable information for FEDGOV to pass up...

Last edited:

Fallguy

It could be almost anything but I would file an appeal, I don't have the link to the website now, but well over half of denials that are appealed are reversed.

One of the biggest problems is something that shows up but doesn't have a disposition on it.

I wouldn't think it is the secret clearance, I have to have one for where I work and haven't had that problem.

KBCraig

It's not your clearance. You have to have a Secret clearance to pull latrine duty these days.

The state of Tennessee doesn't even know you have such a clearance, and even if they did, what possible basis would that be for a denial?

The overwhelming probability is that someone with a similar name and birthdate is a prohibited person. File the appeal.