• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

gov't buying up all ammo in .223, 9mm, .45

ManInBlack

Judging by this
Sent: Monday, March 19, 2012 8:27 PM
To: The Americas, Israel & Europe

and the fact that the article is written at an, at best, 8th grade level, I'm going with "no."

The last time I was there, I would be surprised if my local Cabela's didn't have 20,000 rounds of .223 on the floor. Walmart also has a good supply.

Ammoman has plenty: http://ammoman.com/c/8/223-556 (and at good prices! Dang, I might have to stock up myself!)

Jason in WI

Why would the government buy up Military Surplus? :uhoh:

From what I've read the ammo makers are behind because they are filling .gov contracts, add in tax return time, Election mania (remember 2008 when ammo dried up also?) and toss in the end of world'ers and that should explain most of the supply and demand problems. Let's also not forget the huge upswing in firearm sales that also need to be feed since Obummer got.

Firearms Iinstuctor

The Obama admin as tried to stop the sale of surplus ammo and brass. They rather have it sold as scrap but so far congress has not let them.

If I remember right the last time a big govermant ammo contract was let.

I heard the same rumors. About the goverment buying up all the ammo.

If you have missed the cheap ammo and are just buying now one has to pay the price.

wrightme

Anecdote evidence indicates that we are in a similar 'mode' that we were in right up to the election. In othere words, it is a seller's market, because everyone wanting guns and/or ammo is buying it off the shelves. Hopefully, manufacturing will keep up.

Bud's for one, indicates a very high rate of sales.

Last edited:

Fast Ed

There actually seems to be a glut of .223 62 grain and 55 grain ammo on the market right now. I am seeing low prices on the M855 that I have never seen before. I have had trouble getting .45 ACP reloading components lately. I had to wait for brass and bullets on my last order. Other than that, I doubt if the gov't would place ammo in the surplus market just to buy it back. I know they are stupid sometimes, but even I don't think they are that stupid. We are pretty much out of Iraq, winding down in Afghanistan and haven't started the next one in Iran yet. Suppliers have a bunch of capacity in the .223 and 9mm stuff so they would be smart to keep the machines running and push volume out to the civilian shooters. They make more money that way and keep some more Americans employed.

IIRC, the army is changing over to a "green" bullet that would obsolete the M855 green tip stuff. I have also heard that most of the ground units prefer the 77 grain OTM bullet instead of the 62 grain anyway. Maybe the supply chain is going away from the M855, which would also explain the glut. Here's an artlcle.

http://www.foxnews.com/scitech/2011/05/04/army-demonstrate-new-green-ammo-maryland/

Fast Ed

Last edited:

Captain Nemo

Is this rumor making the rounds again? The goverment is not buying up any ammo other than that which it has contracted for. In 2009 as a result of an administrative policy change the government had intended to quit selling once fired brass to the civilian population. The brass included .223, .45 and 9mm cartridge sizes. The intent was to shred it and sell it to China as raw material. Congress stepped in and pressured the DOD to recant it's decision, which it did. No brass was shredded. How this got morphed into the comment that the government was buying up those specific calibers of ammunition is anyone's guess. Someone playing "telephone" as we did in grade school I suppose. I've heard the comment a number of times that the govt. was buying up all that ammunition to keep it out of civilian hands, not true. For a period of time there was a shortage of ammo available to the public due to suppliers having to commit most of their production to fill Govt. contracts. For a while it was difficult to find certain brands of .22 caliber ammo because of the need to fill the Govt. contracts for the other calibers, but there was no government buy up of any ammunition. Think about it. 160 thousand troops in Afghanistan and Iraq at that time, plus all the military training bases, burns up a lot of ammo and puts an enormous strain on production capability.

Horseman

purchase contract announced

http://www.businessinsider.com/us-i...many-as-450-million-new-rounds-of-ammo-2012-3

quote: "The Department of Homeland Security (DHS) and its Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) office is getting an "indefinite delivery" of an "indefinite quantity" of .40 caliber ammunition from defense contractor ATK.

U.S. agents will receive a maximum of 450 million rounds over five years, according to a press release on the deal. "

Read more: http://www.businessinsider.com/us-i...llion-new-rounds-of-ammo-2012-3#ixzz1qcwXVfnO

ManInBlack

http://www.businessinsider.com/us-i...many-as-450-million-new-rounds-of-ammo-2012-3

quote: "The Department of Homeland Security (DHS) and its Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) office is getting an "indefinite delivery" of an "indefinite quantity" of .40 caliber ammunition from defense contractor ATK.

U.S. agents will receive a maximum of 450 million rounds over five years, according to a press release on the deal. "

Read more: http://www.businessinsider.com/us-i...llion-new-rounds-of-ammo-2012-3#ixzz1qcwXVfnO

The delivery and quantity are indefinite because the initial term of the contract is one year, renewable to five. Please stop spreading easily-debunkable rumors, as you are making the rest of us look bad.