Results 1 to 11 of 11

Thread: Summerlin Visit

  1. #1
    Regular Member stickslinger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Woodbridge
    Posts
    181

    Summerlin Visit

    All,

    May be going to Summerlin for a short visit. Any OC issues with that area?
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    NRA Certified Range Safety Officer

  2. #2
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    City? Who wants to live in a CITY?, Nevada, USA
    Posts
    1,196
    Only if you have a problem with the idea of being shot in the back by the local cops.

  3. #3
    28kfps
    Guest
    I am not sure that is the information he was looking for. Do you?

  4. #4
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Celina, TX
    Posts
    16
    Summerlin is neither better nor worse in terms of how OC is perceived than most other parts of the city. We just had a presumed self defense shooting incident here yesterday (about 1K yards from my house) so it's possible that people will be a bit more aware of firearms for a little while. Honestly though, I doubt it, we call them sheeple for a reason.

  5. #5
    Campaign Veteran MAC702's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Nevada
    Posts
    6,520
    No "issues" really. It's just still not common by any means. I've OC'd through Summerlin on my way to the DSRP Club for matches. I often wear my 1911 on my strong side while competing in vintage rifle matches out by Red Rock, and that includes ATM stops and fuel/snacks on the way.
    "It's not important how many people I've killed. What's important is how I get along with the people who are still alive" - Jimmy the Tulip

  6. #6
    Regular Member stickslinger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Woodbridge
    Posts
    181
    Quote Originally Posted by MAC702 View Post
    No "issues" really. It's just still not common by any means. I've OC'd through Summerlin on my way to the DSRP Club for matches. I often wear my 1911 on my strong side while competing in vintage rifle matches out by Red Rock, and that includes ATM stops and fuel/snacks on the way.
    Well, seems like another anti-OC area to me basically. I'll probably opt to leave it back home. Sucks, but don't want to get shot in the back for doing nothing illegal in the first place (by folks with the culpeper, va mentality). May go check the range out anyway though.

    -cheers
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    NRA Certified Range Safety Officer

  7. #7
    Campaign Veteran MAC702's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Nevada
    Posts
    6,520
    Quote Originally Posted by stickslinger View Post
    Well, seems like another anti-OC area to me basically. I'll probably opt to leave it back home. Sucks, but don't want to get shot in the back for doing nothing illegal in the first place ...
    As bad of a rep as our police have for "justified" shootings, you aren't in danger OC'ing down the street or in a business that doesn't ask you to leave. Summerlin is no different than the rest of the town, IMO, but I don't live there. This is not to say the rest of the town is all that OC-friendly, but don't expect Summerlin to be all that different than downtown or the strip.

    Outside of North Las Vegas city limits, it's the same police force in Summerlin as Downtown or on the Strip, or at Primm, etc.

    I actually don't know what DVC meant by his comment. Maybe there's a thread somewhere where he had a bad experience?
    "It's not important how many people I've killed. What's important is how I get along with the people who are still alive" - Jimmy the Tulip

  8. #8
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Fallon, Nevada, USA
    Posts
    5,580
    Quote Originally Posted by stickslinger View Post
    Well, seems like another anti-OC area to me basically. I'll probably opt to leave it back home. Sucks, but don't want to get shot in the back for doing nothing illegal in the first place (by folks with the culpeper, va mentality). May go check the range out anyway though.

    -cheers
    I haven't seen any evidence that the 'get shot in the back by cop' is actually a fear there. Have you?
    "Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." Benjamin Franklin

  9. #9
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Celina, TX
    Posts
    16
    Living in Summerlin for just over a year now I can definitely say I'm not worried in the slightest about getting randomly shot by Metro. In fact the Metro guys and I are huge fans of the local Chipotle and I see them in there all the time. I've seen them look and notice me, yet not a single one has ever said a word to me or do anything other than politely nod and smile.

    I'm sure it's great fun to reference the Costco shooting when talking about Summerlin, but adding a quip about Metro to nearly every thread asking a question is just degrading the signal to noise ratio on this board. In this circumstance a visitor shows up asking a question and ends up with a mistaken impression based on nothing more than people's desire to complain about Metro, I just don't see that as being terribly helpful.

  10. #10
    Regular Member The Big Guy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Waco, TX
    Posts
    1,950
    Quote Originally Posted by Elycion View Post
    I'm sure it's great fun to reference the Costco shooting when talking about Summerlin, but adding a quip about Metro to nearly every thread asking a question is just degrading the signal to noise ratio on this board. In this circumstance a visitor shows up asking a question and ends up with a mistaken impression based on nothing more than people's desire to complain about Metro, I just don't see that as being terribly helpful.

    Agreed

    TBG
    Life member GOA and NRA. Member of SAF, NAGR, TXGR and Cast Bullet Assoc.

  11. #11
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Fallon, Nevada, USA
    Posts
    5,580
    Quote Originally Posted by Elycion View Post
    Living in Summerlin for just over a year now I can definitely say I'm not worried in the slightest about getting randomly shot by Metro. In fact the Metro guys and I are huge fans of the local Chipotle and I see them in there all the time. I've seen them look and notice me, yet not a single one has ever said a word to me or do anything other than politely nod and smile.

    I'm sure it's great fun to reference the Costco shooting when talking about Summerlin, but adding a quip about Metro to nearly every thread asking a question is just degrading the signal to noise ratio on this board. In this circumstance a visitor shows up asking a question and ends up with a mistaken impression based on nothing more than people's desire to complain about Metro, I just don't see that as being terribly helpful.
    Yes.
    "Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." Benjamin Franklin

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •