Thread: Oklahoma Next State to Open Carry

Oklahoma Next State to Open Carry: Nov.1 (2012)

Looks like Oklahoma is next state to open carry

Regarding “Oklahoma Senate passes firearm open carry measure” (News, March 15): House Bill 2522 and Senate Bill 1733, allowing guns to be openly carried like police officers, are on their way to the House.
    http://newsok.com/open-carry-will-ch...rticle/3659337

Watch Video Senate Bill Discussion and voting: http://okhouse.granicus.com/MediaPla...&meta_id=18968

News Articles/Videos: http://newsok.com/article/3660549

http://www.news9.com/story/17261024/...ry-handgun-law
    Last edited by seminoles1999; 05-14-2012 at 08:55 PM.

It's funny. Does anyone know how last year, if it wasn't for one committee head, they would of had unlicensed OC (by a huge margin); yet, this year all they could get is licensed? Better than nothing but still a big disappointment.

This is great news for Florida though. After nothing happens in OK, it can be used next year in the debates, such as they are, in the Fl legislature. Assuming it gets a hearing.
    Last edited by 77zach; 03-22-2012 at 09:47 AM.
    “If the natural tendencies of mankind are so bad that it is not safe to permit people to be free, how is it that the tendencies of these organizers are always good? Do not the legislators and their appointed agents also belong to the human race? Or do they believe that they themselves are made of a finer clay than the rest of mankind? ” -Bastiat

I don't "need" to openly carry a handgun or own an "assault weapon" any more than Rosa Parks needed a seat on the bus.

Quote Originally Posted by 77zach View Post
    It's funny. Does anyone know how last year, if it wasn't for one committee head, they would of had unlicensed OC (by a huge margin); yet, this year all they could get is licensed? Better than nothing but still a big disappointment.

This is great news for Florida though. After nothing happens in OK, it can be used next year in the debates, such as they are, in the Fl legislature. Assuming it gets a hearing.
    You will be there, right?
    When those in Government fail to see the danger in too much Government, they become the danger.
    (Original quote by me)

If we lose the Second Amendment it is only a matter of time before we lose the First Amendment, then the Fourth Amendment and then it is all downhill from there ...

I've OCed and didn't scare the horses or stampede the women!

It's too late to train when you are in the middle of a gunfight ... (me)

IDPA SSP/MM

Quote Originally Posted by Ironside View Post
    You will be there, right?
    I think it will be decided long before I showed up. I can't watch any TV anymore because propaganda contrary to my worldview makes me ill. I'm a very intolerant person, and I don't think I could sit through those committee hearings.
    “If the natural tendencies of mankind are so bad that it is not safe to permit people to be free, how is it that the tendencies of these organizers are always good? Do not the legislators and their appointed agents also belong to the human race? Or do they believe that they themselves are made of a finer clay than the rest of mankind? ” -Bastiat

I don't "need" to openly carry a handgun or own an "assault weapon" any more than Rosa Parks needed a seat on the bus.

I must be confused. I thought you were considering running for office.
    When those in Government fail to see the danger in too much Government, they become the danger.
    (Original quote by me)

If we lose the Second Amendment it is only a matter of time before we lose the First Amendment, then the Fourth Amendment and then it is all downhill from there ...

I've OCed and didn't scare the horses or stampede the women!

It's too late to train when you are in the middle of a gunfight ... (me)

IDPA SSP/MM

Quote Originally Posted by Ironside View Post
    I must be confused. I thought you were considering running for office.
    LOL.No. No decent person would ever run for office. Except maybe ron paul.

NO Open Carry for Oklahoma, Bill was gutted

-------------------------------------------------------------------

Senate Waters Down Open-Carry Legislation

Sen. Jim Wilson: "When you bring a gun to the problem, you exacerbate the problem," said Wilson, who opposed the measure

By BARBARA HOBEROCK World Capitol Bureau
    Published: 4/25/2012 1:45 AM
    Last Modified: 4/25/2012 8:30 AM

OKLAHOMA CITY - The state Senate on Tuesday sent the House a watered-down open-carry bill.

But the measure's author, Sen. Greg Treat, R-Oklahoma City, said House Bill 2522 still could be used as a vehicle to enact open carry.

House Bill 2522 would allow land owners to openly carry weapons on their property.

It also would allow for those with weapons locked in their cars to also have ammunition in the secured vehicle.

The measure passed by a vote of 39-2 with no debate.

Sens. Al McCaffrey, D-Oklahoma City, and Jim Wilson, D-Tahlequah, cast the lone no votes.

McCaffrey, a former police officer, said he thought the measure would be a threat to law enforcement.

Wilson said people who want to openly carry weapons want to intimidate others.

"There is no reason to do it," Wilson said. "They can conceal carry. When you bring a gun to the problem, you exacerbate the problem. It makes us look stupid."

In March, the Senate Committee on Public Safety passed the measure.

As passed out of committee, it would have allowed for firearms to be carried openly without a concealed-carry permit, but Treat made changes to the measure on the Senate floor.

Source: Tulsa World (25 April)

A holstered handgun worn by one respectful, polite, and peaceful citizen can only be perceived to "intimidate" other persons who are themselves intent upon engaging in intimidation.

Actually, the reason law enforcement, and armed guards don't conceal is that they don't want criminally inclined individuals to assume that they are defenseless, and therefore - easy prey. Sooo.... ???
    Last edited by rushcreek2; 04-25-2012 at 07:06 PM.

And once again, people who know very little or nothing about firearms wind up making the laws to turn normal, law abiding citizens, exercising their 2nd Amendment rights, into criminals for no apparent reason other than "I think they intimidate people".

Hmm, politicians who are afraid they might not get reelected trample on citizen's rights.

Oklahoma's OC bill got gutted just like ours by people who don't actually understand (or care to) guns and the Constitution.

Yes, it's sad.

AD (open carry advocate and practitioner)
    NRA Life - AMA Life - ABATE Life
    Viet-Nam Helicopters Pilots Assn - Life
    IDPA, ICORE and USPSA carry gun shooter - Glock Armorer
    NRA Certified Instructor

Bad news

This is bad news for Florida too. I thought that with another concealed only state legalizing open carry Fl's next attempt would be even stronger. Now with this and the Treyvon Martin false flag attack on our rights, it's hard to see it happening for the foreseeable future. Our lawmakers are weak minded followers.

HB 2522 (Gutted) - (Companion Bill) - SB 1733 Still Alive!

Oklahomans with concealed handgun permits would be allowed to carry their weapons in the open if Senate Bill 1733 becomes law.

Senate Bill 1733 would allow anyone possessing a license to carry a firearm under the Oklahoma Self Defense Act to carry the weapon either openly or concealed. It passed 85-3 and is headed for a conference committee.

It also would allow a property owner to openly carry a handgun on his or her land. No concealed carry permit would be required.

Read more: http://newsok.com/oklahoma-house-pas...670106/?page=1

Watch The House Session for SB 1733 (Link Below)

http://okhouse.granicus.com/MediaPla...&meta_id=19521
    Last edited by seminoles1999; 04-28-2012 at 11:33 PM.

SB 1733 was passed by the Senate 33-10 and sent ordered enrolled on 5/8. Sent to the Governor for signature.
    Director,
    Florida Carry, Inc.

Detached reflection cannot be demanded in the presence of an uplifted knife.
    -Justice Oliver Wendel Holmes
    Brown v. United States, 1921

Quote Originally Posted by rvrctyrngr View Post
    SB 1733 was passed by the Senate 33-10 and sent ordered enrolled on 5/8. Sent to the Governor for signature.
    Excellent. Next year, OC advocates in Fl will be able to point to a state that recently transitioned from CC only to OC.

Quote Originally Posted by 77zach View Post
    This is bad news for Florida too. I thought that with another concealed only state legalizing open carry Fl's next attempt would be even stronger. Now with this and the Treyvon Martin false flag attack on our rights, it's hard to see it happening for the foreseeable future. Our lawmakers are weak minded followers.
    Florida is a unique playing field. It has probably not occurred to many of the folks in Florida - that had Zimmerman been open carrying - he would probably not have incurred the injuries allegedly inflicted by Martin = Trayvon Martin would still be alive, and I am convinced that Zimmerman would most certainly have preferred that Martin had survived rather than the way it went down on Feb. 26th.

Quote Originally Posted by rushcreek2 View Post
    Florida is a unique playing field. It has probably not occurred to many of the folks in Florida - that had Zimmerman been open carrying - he would probably not have incurred the injuries allegedly inflicted by Martin = Trayvon Martin would still be alive, and I am convinced that Zimmerman would most certainly have preferred that Martin had survived rather than the way it went down on Feb. 26th.
    Excellent point, I never thought of it this way.
    Open carry would have kept Trayvon away.

Oklahoma - Open Carry State (Effective Nov 1, 2012)

Oklahoma Gov. Mary Fallin says she'll sign open carry gun measure

Gov. Mary Fallin told delegates Saturday at the Oklahoma Republican State Convention she will sign into law the bill that will allow those with concealed handgun permits to openly carry their weapons. The measure would take effect Nov. 1.

“I'm going to be signing that bill,” Fallin announced to 1,400 delegates at the Oklahoma Republican State Convention, drawing cheers and applause. “I've been waiting a long time.”

Oklahoma will become the 26th state to allow open carrying of handguns, she said.

Read more: http://newsok.com/oklahoma-gov.-mary...#ixzz1utY2xtXj

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

UPDATE!

Gov. Fallin signed Bill May 15 2012

Source: http://www.oklegislature.gov/Billinfo.aspx?Bill=SB1733
    Last edited by seminoles1999; 05-15-2012 at 03:22 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by seminoles1999 View Post
    Oklahoma - Open Carry State (Effective Nov 1, 2012)

Oklahoma will become the 26th state to allow open carrying of handguns, she said.

Read more: http://newsok.com/oklahoma-gov.-mary...#ixzz1utY2xtXj

Nope. More like the 40th state to recognize OC. Well, in the 2013 FL session this can be brought up. When the FSA and Retail Federation say they're more worried about the transition from CC to OC we'll ask "Is this a problem in Oklahoma? No? Have a nice day." Of course MN and ND went from no/may issue to shall issue and they allow OC, so OK isn't the first anyway.

Gov. Fallin signs open carry legislation into law

Bill allows those licensed to carry a firearm to do so openly

Gov. Mary Fallin signed Senate Bill 1733 into law Tuesday, allowing Oklahomans to openly carry firearms.

The bill permits licensed individuals to openly carry a weapon or conceal it. It also allows property owners to openly carry a firearm on their property without a concealed carry permit for the purpose of self-defense.

“As a strong supporter of the Second Amendment and a gun owner myself, I’m happy to sign this bill into law and grant law-abiding citizens the ability to openly carry firearms,” Fallin said. “Senate Bill 1733 sends a strong message that Oklahoma values the rights of its citizens to defend themselves, their family and their property. It does so in a responsible way by requiring those citizens who choose to open-carry to undergo both firearms training and a background check.”

Oklahoma is now the 25th state with a law either allowing residents to openly carry only with a license, or not requiring a license. Oklahoma now joins Utah, North Dakota, Minnesota, Iowa, Indiana, Tennessee, Georgia, Mississippi, New Jersey, Connecticut, Rhode Island, Hawaii and Massachusetts as a licensed open carry state.

To receive a license applicants must take a firearms safety and training course and submit to a background check by the Oklahoma State Bureau of Investigation. Those convicted of felonies and certain misdemeanors may not receive a handgun license.

Businesses may continue to prohibit firearms to be carried on their premises. The bill prohibits carrying firearms on properties owned or leased by the city, state or federal government, at corrections facilities, in schools or college campuses, in liquor stores and at sports arenas during sporting events.

The bill was sponsored by Sen. Anthony Sykes and Rep. Jeff Hickman.

“I want to thank Sen. Sykes and Rep. Hickman, as well as the entire Legislature, for their commitment to protecting the Second Amendment rights of Oklahomans," Fallin said.

Source: http://www.koco.com/news/politics/Go...o/-/index.html

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Today, Governor Mary Fallin signed into law the Open Carry/Omnibus gun bill, Senate Bill 1733. Senate Bill 1733 is an omnibus firearm bill containing significant improvements to Oklahoma gun laws, including allowing concealed carry permit holders the choice of open carrying.

Other important provisions include language prohibiting persons, property owners and companies from banning ammunition in locked vehicles; changing the “immediate notification” requirement when a permit holder is stopped by a law enforcement officer to notification at “first opportunity” while also greatly reducing the associated fine for non-compliance; a provision allowing people to carry firearms openly without a permit on their private property; and revisions to the current Oklahoma statute striking the word “concealed” from Oklahoma firearm permit citations and applying the lawful open carrying of firearms to Oklahoma's firearms preemption law. Additionally, this legislation will allow Sooner State military personnel stationed outside Oklahoma to obtain an Oklahoma permit. This new law becomes effective November 1, 2012.

Source: http://www.nraila.org/legislation/st...-oklahoma.aspx
    Last edited by seminoles1999; 05-15-2012 at 07:40 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by seminoles1999 View Post
    Gov. Fallin signs open carry legislation into law

Bill allows those licensed to carry a firearm to do so openly

Gov. Mary Fallin signed Senate Bill 1733 into law Tuesday, allowing Oklahomans to openly carry firearms.

The bill permits licensed individuals to openly carry a weapon or conceal it. It also allows property owners to openly carry a firearm on their property without a concealed carry permit for the purpose of self-defense.

“As a strong supporter of the Second Amendment and a gun owner myself, I’m happy to sign this bill into law and grant law-abiding citizens the ability to openly carry firearms,” Fallin said. “Senate Bill 1733 sends a strong message that Oklahoma values the rights of its citizens to defend themselves, their family and their property. It does so in a responsible way by requiring those citizens who choose to open-carry to undergo both firearms training and a background check.”

Oklahoma is now the 25th state with a law either allowing residents to openly carry only with a license, or not requiring a license. Oklahoma now joins Utah, North Dakota, Minnesota, Iowa, Indiana, Tennessee, Georgia, Mississippi, New Jersey, Connecticut, Rhode Island, Hawaii and Massachusetts as a licensed open carry state.

To receive a license applicants must take a firearms safety and training course and submit to a background check by the Oklahoma State Bureau of Investigation. Those convicted of felonies and certain misdemeanors may not receive a handgun license.

Businesses may continue to prohibit firearms to be carried on their premises. The bill prohibits carrying firearms on properties owned or leased by the city, state or federal government, at corrections facilities, in schools or college campuses, in liquor stores and at sports arenas during sporting events.

The bill was sponsored by Sen. Anthony Sykes and Rep. Jeff Hickman.

“I want to thank Sen. Sykes and Rep. Hickman, as well as the entire Legislature, for their commitment to protecting the Second Amendment rights of Oklahomans," Fallin said.

Source: http://www.koco.com/news/politics/Go...o/-/index.html

hahahah- did anyone else notice it says "Hawaii"?? lol
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

doubt is a distraction from reality. fear is acknowledging doubt as reality.

it's time to tap in to a higher reality; the one you were made for.