• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Assault on independence continues. Obama HQ briefs Romney's press corps

georg jetson

isn't that kind of attitude a trip? The person saying it (i've heard it countless times) is blaming the victim for the bad choices of the republican party. They assume that my vote belongs to the gop and that if i don't vote how they say, that means that my vote now belongs to the dems.

The correct way to look at it, from what i've discerned, is that if the gop cannot nominate a decent candidate and earn my vote, then they are the ones responsible for the election of obama/any other democrat. They have failed, they have not provided sufficient reason to choose them, they are the ones that need to change or they are the ones that accept the blame. How dare any party assume that they own my vote.

EXACTLy!

Last edited:

()pen(arry

Was busy earlier, so I hadn't had a chance to figure out what Hillsdale is. Didn't take much to figure it out: "National Review has described Hillsdale as a 'citadel of American conservatism.'" Well, with that sterling endorsement, I'm just positive we're dealing with objective, fact-based information! Seriously, that's like a Communist arguing with a libertarian, and saying, "Libertarianism is fascism! For proof, just read Mao's Little Red Book!" Well done, sir, well done. Glenn Beck should be calling you with a job offer soon.

EDIT: I'm chuckling, right now, because as I was writing my first response to your silly claim this morning, I thought to myself, "I'll bet this guy reads the NRO and fools like Brent Bozell." Pretty sure I nailed it.

Last edited:

beebobby

So is a vote for Romney, seeing as he's exactly like Obama.

:banghead:

You couldn't possibly fail to see this if you had a single political conviction not dictated to you by a talking head.

You mean someone like Rush Limbaugh?

DrakeZ07

Are you sure you're voting in the correct party? Take the quiz.

According to that quiz;

Your PERSONAL issues Score is 90%

Your ECONOMIC issues Score is 40%

According to your answers, the political group that agrees with you most is... Liberal.

Never would have guessed, as most of the answers, for me, was just common sense not reflecting party lines.

Jim675

Founder's Club Member
That quiz has been around for some time. Its always interesting when new people take it. We're all so sure we're "normal" that people are often shocked that their answers skew them into an unexpected group.

DangerClose

A vote for Ron Paul is a vote for Obama.

Obama is for cutting spending, cutting taxes, eliminating the IRS, auditing The Fed, against the Patriot Act and NDAA and undeclared wars? I did not know that.

I'll still vote for Obomney, and I make sure I keep tabs on legislative candidates. If we keep pressure on them they will send bills to the WH Obomney will have no choice but too sign. A third party will only draw from the republican votes.

You're going to keep tabs and pressure on the legislative candidates who support the Patriot Act, NDAA, ridiculous levels of spending based on Baseline Budgeting, and who get all swoony for "fiscally conservative" budget proposals that add trillions to the debt the first 10 years and don't balance the budget for 30 years from big-government fake conservatives like Paul Ryan?

beebobby

Obama is for cutting spending, cutting taxes, eliminating the IRS, auditing The Fed, against the Patriot Act and NDAA and undeclared wars? I did not know that.

I didn't say Obama held Ron Paul's political beliefs. I meant that a vote for Ron Paul is a wasted GOP vote due to the fact that he has no chance. Currently he's the Ralph Nader of the GOP, good ideas, fun to watch, but no chance in h3ll.

GhostOfJefferson

I didn't say Obama held Ron Paul's political beliefs. I meant that a vote for Ron Paul is a wasted GOP vote due to the fact that he has no chance. Currently he's the Ralph Nader of the GOP, good ideas, fun to watch, but no chance in h3ll.

Show me where the GOP owns my vote. Further, explain to me how if the GOP fails to endorse a candidate that earns my vote, that is somehow my fault and not the GOP's.

Thanks in advance.

georg jetson

He was being facetious. A vote for Ron Paul is the only vote NOT wasted. A vote for any other Repub or Democratic candidate is a wasted vote because it's a vote for the "same ol same ol".

By your "wasted vote logic", the only vote not wasted is to vote for the candidate that wins. May I borrow your crystal ball so that I know who to vote for?

Last edited:

DangerClose

Also, a very good argument can be made that Ron Paul is the ONLY guy who can beat Obama. He'll get the "anyone but Obama" vote plus the independent vote plus disenfranchised Dem votes, etc.

But, establishment Republicans would rather give Obama four more years than have Ron Paul as President and show the world what a real conservative and real constitutionalist and real HONEST President is like.

H

Herr Heckler Koch

Week 4 - Separation of Powers: Preventing Tyranny

http://constitution.hillsdale.edu/ https://s.ytimg.com/yt/swfbin/watch_as3-vflJeIHMg.swf at ~22:00

Drawing from from Federalist 15, "Why has government been instituted at all?" the lecturer says, "The Founding Fathers were certainly not libertarians. Government, properly done, is an essential good, as opposed to the libertarian's view, in its purest form, that government of all kinds is, by definition, nothing but an organized criminal enterprise.
Riight

beebobby

He was being facetious. A vote for Ron Paul is the only vote NOT wasted. A vote for any other Repub or Democratic candidate is a wasted vote because it's a vote for the "same ol same ol".

By your "wasted vote logic", the only vote not wasted is to vote for the candidate that wins. May I borrow your crystal ball so that I know who to vote for?

No crystal ball necessary. If you want to cast your vote for the eventual winner, vote for the incumbent.

()pen(arry

1. Attempting to prove that "the Founding Fathers" weren't libertarians is of no purpose, since no one is claiming that they were.
  2. I did, implicitly, rebuff your claim that "the Founding Fathers" "rejected libertarianism", exactly zero support for which you have provided, here or elsewhere.
  3. Federalist #15 expresses an argument that if a government is to have the power to enact law, it must, by definition, have the power to define and enforce consequence for violation of that law; this argument, does not, by itself, have anything to do with arguing whether a government should have the power to enact law, nor whether a government should have the power to enact laws of various kinds.
  4. While there is a meaning of the phrase "the Founding Fathers" that is functionally useful in limited circumstances, there is no group of historical people to whom the collective label can reasonably be applied for which one can simply, and singularly, claim or deny political philosophy. They were as far from uniform in their principles and opinions as are, say, libertarians today.
  5. Not only should it be obvious that not all of "the Founding Fathers" agreed with Federalist #15, it should be especially obvious, since that lack of universal agreement with the philosophy behind Federalist #15 is precisely why Federalist #15 was written in the first place.
  6. Your lecturer makes a specific assertion about what "the libertarian's view" is. Poignantly, this assertion is baseless and, not surprisingly, false.
  7. Only a minute subset of those who claim for themselves the label "libertarian" are opposed to government, per se. The popular conflation of "libertarian" and "anarchist" is borne of sheer, and often willful, ignorance.
  8. Even were we to assume that your lecturer is right about what "the Founding Fathers" believed, and what "the libertarian's view" is, nothing that you have quoted demonstrates, by any argument that can be considered to be valid according to reason and logic, that "the Founding Fathers" and libertarians are in philosophical conflict.
  9. Taking all of the above into account, it is abundantly clear that your lecturer is an ignoramus, at best, and a charlatan, more like.