Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: I'll need your facebook password.

I'll need your facebook password.

http://www.news.com.au/business/ill-...-1226306126856

So jist of it is, employers are able to ask for facebook and e-mail passwords now. Needless to say, my facebook is going away soon.

Herr Heckler Koch
    Quote Originally Posted by Brion View Post
    ..., employers are able to ask for facebook and e-mail passwords now. Needless to say, my facebook is going away soon.
    Only "now," when could they not request personal/private information? Your Facebook will not go away. Pay attention.

So jist of it is, employers are able to ask for facebook and e-mail passwords now. Needless to say, my facebook is going away soon.
    Why? Just say "no" and note that it is a very private account only given out to close family and friends. If they press it as a condition of employment, would you really want to work there to begin with then?

It seems to me, and I'm just tossing this around in my head a bit, that Facebook pages contain all kinds of information that they're not allowed to ask you in an interview, which could cause them to hold a bias against you such as, oh say, discrimination based on religion/age/ethnic background, for example. I wonder if some smart nob of a civil rights lawyer might want to look into this as a route around them demanding such information from you as a condition of employment?

They cannot require you to share your password. Doing so violates FB rules and it violates your company's acceptable use policy (assuming they have one). I wouldn't work some place that asked me for that info.

If you don't want your future employer to see your profile info just lock down your profile to friends only and don't "friend" any recruiters. Don't friend anyone who isn't actually a friend.

==========================================
    NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
    Looking for training by experienced staff?
    We are the largest all female only firearms group on the East Coast offering firearms training courses and services provided by our experienced and certified female instructors.
    http://www.shecanshoot.com/
    =============================
    NRA Certified Instructor & Range Safety Officer
    Teaching classes in Lorton VA & Springfield VA
    PM me if you need a class, RSO or safety briefing

Quote Originally Posted by Steeler-gal View Post
    They cannot require you to share your password. Doing so violates FB rules and it violates your company's acceptable use policy (assuming they have one). I wouldn't work some place that asked me for that info.

If you don't want your future employer to see your profile info just lock down your profile to friends only and don't "friend" any recruiters. Don't friend anyone who isn't actually a friend.

We are the largest all female only firearms group on the East Coast offering firearms training courses and services provided by our experienced and certified female instructors.
    Sure they can, and recruiters are doing it during interviews as a condition of employment. "Here's a computer. Log into your Facebok account. Step back. Don't want to share? Exit is the first door on the left. Thanks for coming."

It's not hypothetical. It's happening now.
    Last edited by ScottNH; 03-21-2012 at 10:52 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by ScottNH View Post
    Sure they can, and recruiters are doing it during interviews as a condition of employment. "Here's a computer. Log into your Facebok account. Step back. Don't want to share? Exit is the first door on the left. Thanks for coming."

That's different than asking for your password but I wouldn't comply with this request either.

Director, Oklahoma Open Carry Association
    "Facebook? What's that?" "Never heard of it"

IMHO, it is a clear invasion of privacy, and violates the limits set upon the interviewer. In addition, as mentioned in that article, it is also a violation of the online service's ToS in the case of FB, and very likely, for other services as well.
    "Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." Benjamin Franklin

Quote Originally Posted by Steeler-gal View Post
    That's different than asking for your password but I wouldn't comply with this request either.

+1

Under what compulsion are people required to even admit they have a facebook account? A potential employer does not need to know anything about me other than that I'm not a criminal, I'm punctual, and qualified for the job.

Quote Originally Posted by ScottNH View Post

Oh, no question, I think we've all heard about it in real life to some degree.

But as I mention, doing that forces me to reveal my religious beliefs, my sexual orientation, my age, as well as revealing private information of people who have *not* consented to have it violated by this company (the people I Friend). I strongly suspect that a very, very good lawsuit can be made out of this practice and get it stopped wholesale. If they can't ask my religious affiliation during an interview, as that might lead to discriminatory hiring practices, that alone precludes them being able to ask for it to be revealed by me through other means as a condition of employment (just using religious beliefs as one of many, many potentially discriminatory inducing revelations).

Put another way, if I were "forced" at my current job to suddenly reveal my FB account, and they fired me, I can guarantee you that I'm going to say that they did so due to some illegal Discrimination practice due to forcing me to disclose information they have no legal right to ask (as noted above). I suspect nobody has approached it from this angle yet, but I could be wrong, it seems to be at least worth exploring, legally.

Herr Heckler Koch
    There are clearly jobs and there are "jobs." Some career-jobs require maintenance of security clearance.

Hah! This is dumb. I'd just make an "alternate" Facebook page if I thought a company was going to do that. Two can play games.

I notice that article claimed most agencies doing this are police, sheriffs, etc.

It would be kind of funny if I applied for a job like that. I'd have to explain why I am seeking employment in a field in which I have publicly stated my intent to fire 99% of present employees.
    Last edited by marshaul; 03-21-2012 at 01:07 PM.

No facebook 'account'....no problem.
    "I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it." - Thomas Jefferson.

"Better that ten guilty persons escape, than that one innocent suffer" - English jurist William Blackstone.
    It is AFAIK original to me. Compromise is failure on the installment plan, particularly when dealing with so intractable an opponent as ignorance. - Nightmare

Not everyone has a FB account in their given name, and having Public and Personal persona's may be the next step in the evolution of social media.

Quote Originally Posted by Herr Heckler Koch View Post
    There are clearly jobs and there are "jobs." Some career-jobs require maintenance of security clearance.
    Have you heard of a single bg check that requires you to fork over account names and passwords so they can root around inside?
    "Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." Benjamin Franklin

First, what MORON doesn't have a plain jane FB page set up when applying for a high security high risk job? (and what moron puts his proclivities to put on furry dog costumes and hump their neighbor's dog on FB?)

So I kind of applaud this. It weeds out the nincompoops and dunderheads. I don't want to be working next to a freak. If you're a freak and want a job apply at the local tattoo parlor fercryinoutloud.

In my case, I had just gotten a new 'Credit Card' and they wanted to verify that I was who I said I was. So to do so they let me charge stuff and then RANDOMLY denied a purchase (when there was plenty left on the card). THEN I had to call them up and tell them my personal bank info so they could VERIFY who I was. (Wut?). I never had this happen before, and it was as part of a larger corporation that I got the card so there was plenty of verification.

So what did this 'security team' do to verify me? They looked up my name on google and copied down some phone numbers (at random but associated with that (common) name) and asked me to give them MY phone number to see if it matched. Of course, it didn't. Because? Because they looked it up on GOOGLE, gawdbless me Hesus.

Finally they insisted on listening in on my (3 party) bank log in and personal info to verify it was me. I said 'gee thanks for totally embarrassing me in front of the vendor due to you serendipitously deciding to deny a charge. A-hats.

/rant
    A firearm is a tool of convenience, not effectiveness - Clint Smith, Thunder Ranch

It's not about "proclivities to hump your neighbor's dog". It's about things like, say, venting about work, in private, to your family or friends at the end of a frustrating day.

I'm not a fan of making multiple "faces" in order to have to retain what should be basic privacy. The less games we have to play in this society, the better. It's none of their damned business, and they can take their request and insert it where the sun is least likely to gaze down upon.

Herr Heckler Koch

Statement of Rights and Responsibilities

https://www.facebook.com/legal/terms
    4. Registration and Account Security

Facebook users provide their real names and information, and we need your help to keep it that way. Here are some commitments you make to us relating to registering and maintaining the security of your account:

You will not provide any false personal information on Facebook, or create an account for anyone other than yourself without permission.
    You will not create more than one personal profile.
    If we disable your account, you will not create another one without our permission.
    [ ... ]
    You will keep your contact information accurate and up-to-date.
    You will not share your password, (or in the case of developers, your secret key), let anyone else access your account, or do anything else that might jeopardize the security of your account.
    [ ... ]
    If you select a username for your account we reserve the right to remove or reclaim it if we believe appropriate (such as when a trademark owner complains about a username that does not closely relate to a user's actual name).
    Last edited by Herr Heckler Koch; 03-21-2012 at 03:41 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by sawah View Post
    First, what MORON doesn't have a plain jane FB page set up when applying for a high security high risk job? (and what moron puts his proclivities to put on furry dog costumes and hump their neighbor's dog on FB?)
    Each 'moron' who chooses to NOT violate the Facebook ToS, which prohibit multiple accounts........
    Last edited by wrightme; 03-21-2012 at 03:40 PM. Reason: Sigh. Just to add that on this ONE item, I agree with Doug.

Whats Facebook?

I use an abacus.
    Quote Originally Posted by Beretta92FSLady
    I am no victim, just a poor college student who looks to the day where the rich have the living piss taxed out of them.

That is true but it is the job if the investigator to find me. Not the other way around.

If they do a google hack and find me that's fine but I'm certainly not giving up any info to them.

If you absolutely Have to vent about work... for da sake of all dat's holey Swiss cheese....... do it on NotAlwaysRight.com

Thanks for this link. It says right on that same page
    You will not share your password, (or in the case of developers, your secret key), let anyone else access your account, or do anything else that might jeopardize the security of your account.
    So this violates FB terms of service. They can't ask and you aren't permitted to give it out anyway.

Herr Heckler Koch

Questionnaire for National Security Positions OPM SF-86

http://www.opm.gov/Forms/pdf_fill/sf86.pdf is 127 pages long. Question 5 is of other names. Other names is among the first questions in a polygraph exam.

Banned

Should have beat the crap out of the interviewer ... wouldn't be asking anyone else...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast