• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

I'll need your facebook password.

H

Herr Heckler Koch

..., employers are able to ask for facebook and e-mail passwords now. Needless to say, my facebook is going away soon.
Only "now," when could they not request personal/private information? Your Facebook will not go away. Pay attention.

GhostOfJefferson

http://www.news.com.au/business/ill...cebook-passwords/story-e6frfm1i-1226306126856

So jist of it is, employers are able to ask for facebook and e-mail passwords now. Needless to say, my facebook is going away soon.

Why? Just say "no" and note that it is a very private account only given out to close family and friends. If they press it as a condition of employment, would you really want to work there to begin with then?

It seems to me, and I'm just tossing this around in my head a bit, that Facebook pages contain all kinds of information that they're not allowed to ask you in an interview, which could cause them to hold a bias against you such as, oh say, discrimination based on religion/age/ethnic background, for example. I wonder if some smart nob of a civil rights lawyer might want to look into this as a route around them demanding such information from you as a condition of employment?

Steeler-gal

They cannot require you to share your password. Doing so violates FB rules and it violates your company's acceptable use policy (assuming they have one). I wouldn't work some place that asked me for that info.

If you don't want your future employer to see your profile info just lock down your profile to friends only and don't "friend" any recruiters. Don't friend anyone who isn't actually a friend.

==========================================
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
Looking for training by experienced staff?
We are the largest all female only firearms group on the East Coast offering firearms training courses and services provided by our experienced and certified female instructors.
http://www.shecanshoot.com/

ScottNH

They cannot require you to share your password. Doing so violates FB rules and it violates your company's acceptable use policy (assuming they have one). I wouldn't work some place that asked me for that info.

If you don't want your future employer to see your profile info just lock down your profile to friends only and don't "friend" any recruiters. Don't friend anyone who isn't actually a friend.

We are the largest all female only firearms group on the East Coast offering firearms training courses and services provided by our experienced and certified female instructors.

Sure they can, and recruiters are doing it during interviews as a condition of employment. "Here's a computer. Log into your Facebok account. Step back. Don't want to share? Exit is the first door on the left. Thanks for coming."

It's not hypothetical. It's happening now.

Last edited:

Steeler-gal

Sure they can, and recruiters are doing it during interviews as a condition of employment. "Here's a computer. Log into your Facebok account. Step back. Don't want to share? Exit is the first door on the left. Thanks for coming."

That's different than asking for your password but I wouldn't comply with this request either.

wrightme

IMHO, it is a clear invasion of privacy, and violates the limits set upon the interviewer. In addition, as mentioned in that article, it is also a violation of the online service's ToS in the case of FB, and very likely, for other services as well.

PistolPackingMomma

That's different than asking for your password but I wouldn't comply with this request either.

+1

Under what compulsion are people required to even admit they have a facebook account? A potential employer does not need to know anything about me other than that I'm not a criminal, I'm punctual, and qualified for the job.

GhostOfJefferson

Oh, no question, I think we've all heard about it in real life to some degree.

But as I mention, doing that forces me to reveal my religious beliefs, my sexual orientation, my age, as well as revealing private information of people who have *not* consented to have it violated by this company (the people I Friend). I strongly suspect that a very, very good lawsuit can be made out of this practice and get it stopped wholesale. If they can't ask my religious affiliation during an interview, as that might lead to discriminatory hiring practices, that alone precludes them being able to ask for it to be revealed by me through other means as a condition of employment (just using religious beliefs as one of many, many potentially discriminatory inducing revelations).

Put another way, if I were "forced" at my current job to suddenly reveal my FB account, and they fired me, I can guarantee you that I'm going to say that they did so due to some illegal Discrimination practice due to forcing me to disclose information they have no legal right to ask (as noted above). I suspect nobody has approached it from this angle yet, but I could be wrong, it seems to be at least worth exploring, legally.

H

Herr Heckler Koch

There are clearly jobs and there are "jobs." Some career-jobs require maintenance of security clearance.

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
Hah! This is dumb. I'd just make an "alternate" Facebook page if I thought a company was going to do that. Two can play games. ;)

I notice that article claimed most agencies doing this are police, sheriffs, etc.

It would be kind of funny if I applied for a job like that. I'd have to explain why I am seeking employment in a field in which I have publicly stated my intent to fire 99% of present employees.

Last edited:

sawah

First, what MORON doesn't have a plain jane FB page set up when applying for a high security high risk job? (and what moron puts his proclivities to put on furry dog costumes and hump their neighbor's dog on FB?)

So I kind of applaud this. It weeds out the nincompoops and dunderheads. I don't want to be working next to a freak. If you're a freak and want a job apply at the local tattoo parlor fercryinoutloud.

In my case, I had just gotten a new 'Credit Card' and they wanted to verify that I was who I said I was. So to do so they let me charge stuff and then RANDOMLY denied a purchase (when there was plenty left on the card). THEN I had to call them up and tell them my personal bank info so they could VERIFY who I was. (Wut?). I never had this happen before, and it was as part of a larger corporation that I got the card so there was plenty of verification.

So what did this 'security team' do to verify me? They looked up my name on google and copied down some phone numbers (at random but associated with that (common) name) and asked me to give them MY phone number to see if it matched. Of course, it didn't. Because? Because they looked it up on GOOGLE, gawdbless me Hesus.

Finally they insisted on listening in on my (3 party) bank log in and personal info to verify it was me. I said 'gee thanks for totally embarrassing me in front of the vendor due to you serendipitously deciding to deny a charge. A-hats.

/rant

GhostOfJefferson

It's not about "proclivities to hump your neighbor's dog". It's about things like, say, venting about work, in private, to your family or friends at the end of a frustrating day.

I'm not a fan of making multiple "faces" in order to have to retain what should be basic privacy. The less games we have to play in this society, the better. It's none of their damned business, and they can take their request and insert it where the sun is least likely to gaze down upon.

H

Herr Heckler Koch

Statement of Rights and Responsibilities

https://www.facebook.com/legal/terms
4. Registration and Account Security

Facebook users provide their real names and information, and we need your help to keep it that way. Here are some commitments you make to us relating to registering and maintaining the security of your account:

You will not provide any false personal information on Facebook, or create an account for anyone other than yourself without permission.
You will not create more than one personal profile.
If we disable your account, you will not create another one without our permission.
[ ... ]
You will keep your contact information accurate and up-to-date.
You will not share your password, (or in the case of developers, your secret key), let anyone else access your account, or do anything else that might jeopardize the security of your account.
[ ... ]
If you select a username for your account we reserve the right to remove or reclaim it if we believe appropriate (such as when a trademark owner complains about a username that does not closely relate to a user's actual name).

Last edited:

wrightme

First, what MORON doesn't have a plain jane FB page set up when applying for a high security high risk job? (and what moron puts his proclivities to put on furry dog costumes and hump their neighbor's dog on FB?)
Each 'moron' who chooses to NOT violate the Facebook ToS, which prohibit multiple accounts........

Last edited: