• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

I'll need your facebook password.

Steeler-gal

There are clearly jobs and there are "jobs." Some career-jobs require maintenance of security clearance.

That is true but it is the job if the investigator to find me. Not the other way around.

If they do a google hack and find me that's fine but I'm certainly not giving up any info to them.

==========================================
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
Looking for training by experienced staff?
We are the largest all female only firearms group on the East Coast offering firearms training courses and services provided by our experienced and certified female instructors.
http://www.shecanshoot.com/

Steeler-gal

Thanks for this link. It says right on that same page
You will not share your password, (or in the case of developers, your secret key), let anyone else access your account, or do anything else that might jeopardize the security of your account.

So this violates FB terms of service. They can't ask and you aren't permitted to give it out anyway.

We are the largest all female only firearms group on the East Coast offering firearms training courses and services provided by our experienced and certified female instructors.

Steeler-gal

http://www.opm.gov/Forms/pdf_fill/sf86.pdf is 127 pages long. Question 5 is of other names. Other names is among the first questions in a polygraph exam.

Been there done that 100 times. This form is not an employment application. The info in this form is not investigated by HR and really should only be seen by Security anyway. Now filling this out you are basically giving them permission to violate your privacy so all bets are off. I still would never and have never given up a password.

sawah

Each 'moron' who chooses to NOT violate the Facebook ToS, which prohibit multiple accounts........

A plain jane FB account does not have to violate anything, and can be your real information. You might set up one for other stuff, say started by a spouse or someone uninterested in using FB and still not violate anything just because he lets you type stuff on it on your shared PC at home. But I guarantee you there are probably very few FB users who don't have multiple pages. I only have one and two friends and don't use it much, but it's pretty plain and boring. Guess that says something about me...(hangs head).

I guess my point is, if you don't have a FB page and you know they'll ask for one, why not set up a boring but believable page beforehand. In fact anyone using the 'gray man' philosophy probably already sees ahead to doing things like this. I never use my real name on the interwebs and never have, but I have no reason to hide anything either.

Last edited:

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
I think the real problem here is an employer who does not tell applicants about social network passwords before the job interview.

If it is going to be demanded as a condition of employment, so be it. But, to not disclose the requirement as part of the initial listing of qualifications is way, way below the belt.

Imagine how many companies would see their pool of applicants significantly dry up if they included the requirement right up front in the initial advertising.

But, apparently some spring it on the applicant during an interview, not when he's filling out his application or resume cover letter.

Creepy really.

"Thank you, ma'am. You just convinced me I don't want to work here. Was this your idea? Or, does the company president know about it? Never mind, he's going to know about it by the end of the afternoon. As will every social network and industry network to which I belong."

Last edited:

PistolPackingMomma

A plain jane FB account does not have to violate anything, and can be your real information. You might set up one for other stuff, say started by a spouse or someone uninterested in using FB and still not violate anything just because he lets you type stuff on it on your shared PC at home. But I guarantee you there are probably very few FB users who don't have multiple pages. I only have one and two friends and don't use it much, but it's pretty plain and boring. Guess that says something about me...(hangs head).

I guess my point is, if you don't have a FB page and you know they'll ask for one, why not set up a boring but believable page beforehand. In fact anyone using the 'gray man' philosophy probably already sees ahead to doing things like this. I never use my real name on the interwebs and never have, but I have no reason to hide anything either.

The only issue with this, is that by playing along, it gives the impression that there isn't anything wrong with them trying to invade one's privacy. If you never discipline the dog, it never learns it's bad to bite.

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
I think the real problem here is an employer who does not tell applicants about social network passwords before the job interview.

If it is going to be demanded as a condition of employment, so be it. But, to not disclose the requirement as part of the initial listing of qualifications is way, way below the belt.

Imagine how many companies would see their pool of applicants significantly dry up if they included the requirement right up front in the initial advertising.

But, apparently some spring it on the applicant during an interview, not when he's filling out his application or resume cover letter.

Creepy really.

"Thank you, ma'am. You just convinced me I don't want to work here. Was this your idea? Or, does the company president know about it? Never mind, he's going to know about it by the end of the afternoon. As will every social network and industry network to which I belong."

The only issue with this, is that by playing along, it gives the impression that there isn't anything wrong with them trying to invade one's privacy. If you never discipline the dog, it never learns it's bad to bite.

Points taken.

My reply to such a request:

"I lost my Facebook account in a tragic boating accident..."

Best post in this thread. :lol:

wrightme

If you have one fb account, and create a second one, you have violated their ToS, plain and simple. Not everyone has one. I have one, and only one.

OC for ME

<snip> I guess my point is, if you don't have a FB page and you know they'll ask for one, why not set up a boring but believable page beforehand. In fact anyone using the 'gray man' philosophy probably already sees ahead to doing things like this. I never use my real name on the interwebs and never have, but I have no reason to hide anything either.
If I know a possible future employer will require access to my facebook account, that I do not have, I should generate a facebook account. Interesting.

Then again, not having a facebook account these days may be an indication to a future employer that I may be anti-social. Interesting.

ScottNH

My reply to such a request:

"I lost my Facebook account in a tragic boating accident..."

If you don't want/need the job, there are many funny and clever things you can say.

If do do want/need the job, different story. And lying during an interview can come back later as auto-grounds for termination. Which has its own legacy.

Brion

Employers are playing on peoples despiration for a job so the get to say no to everyone that refuses to give the info. Something els, its been said anything put on facebook is no longer yours so its not an invation of privacy my fear is when facebook becomes a mandatory thing to have to get a decent job and things like ''i dont have facebook'' doesnt fly.

All im saying is watch out before this becomes something everyone asks for and not just a few companies

Last edited: