• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

My First Police Interaction

Knowledge

Was at the dog park with some friends. This guy calls me over to ask me to conceal my gun. He said he didn't want his kids to have to see me kill someone. Not sure I understand his logic but I told him that I couldn't because I don't have my CPL. He asked me how I'm allowed to carry it. He must have not believed me, so he called the police.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SUp51lnlpRg&feature=g-upl&context=G29df0bdAUAAAAAAAAAA

Fallschirjmäger

Absolutely fabulous.
Especially so because the officer realizes 1) it's not you he has to worry about and 2) his job would be easier if more people would take responsibility for their own protection.

davidmcbeth

Banned
Was at the dog park with some friends. This guy calls me over to ask me to conceal my gun. He said he didn't want his kids to have to see me kill someone. [/url]

Should have said that if he did not want his kids to see you kill someone then he should not be bothering you.

Knowledge

Absolutely fabulous.
Especially so because the officer realizes 1) it's not you he has to worry about and 2) his job would be easier if more people would take responsibility for their own protection.

Yeah, I was really excited to put out a good police interaction sense most of the Youtube videos are so negative.

PistolPackingMomma

Good on the cop. You should reward him with a box of doughnuts and a note of appreciation to his superiors.

carsontech

Activist Member
Nice job.

I lol'ed at the "he didn't want his kids to have to see me kill someone" part. So, to him, because he can see your gun, that means your going to use it? Illogical.

Last edited:

amzbrady

Too bad you didnt get the a$$hat on video that approached you. Maybe a second cam on your person for sound would be good, and the first part as the officer approached, instead of a cut right to him talking to you showing that he didnt approach low ready, or asking for ID, then the handshake to end it as he left. Cut and edited video gives a slightly different appearance. Maybe someday dispatch will start doing their job correctly and ask the caller if the MWAG is holding it or if they have it properly holstered. Then the police can just do a driveby and verify everything is as reported, no need for them to get out of the car for a properly holstered firearm. Great job though.

Last edited:

sawah

HOLY COW I am just amazed that you missed it.

This guy threatened to KILL you for open carrying.

'I don't want to have my kids see me kill someone, so cover up'.

You should have had him arrested for deadly threats (IANAL) to your person. Got him to repeat his threat.

He was not talking about YOU killing anyone. He was saying he might have to kill you (I presume he was thinking with his bare hands - maybe he was a Karotty Expert or something.)

Good on you for the video, and very sorry to hear some jerk threw your dog! (?)

Fallschirjmäger

The phrase 'I don't want to have my kids see me kill someone, so cover up' wasn't in quotations in the original post. As I understood it the 'me' was in reference to the OP and he didn't correct anyone's understanding.

PistolPackingMomma

@ Sawah

No, if he were threatening the OPer, then it would have read "he didn't want his kids have to see HIM kill someone", instead of "he didn't want his kids to have to see ME kill someone."

No offense, sugar, but calm down and read a little slower.

Last edited:

ManInBlack

That's about as good as a police encounter can be.

Hopefully the officer will realize that he can just observe lawful behavior and drive away. Or, better yet, educate the caller on why it is important to not abuse the 911 system...

sawah

No, guys, I think I'm right. The approachee said 'I don't want my kids to have to see me kill someone' doesn't make ANY sense when the 'me' is the OC-er, and it makes perfect sense (as a threat) if the 'me' is the approachee.

I guess you had to be there but what I'm saying is true. One 'me' makes no sense the other attributed 'me' is a veiled threat to the OC-er.

But whatever, the incident resolved peacefully. I still think I'd like to hear the actual conversation the approachee had with the OP.

Sorry but this passive aggressive 'for the kids' stuff just gets my panties in a major twist. :)

slapmonkay

Campaign Veteran
No, guys, I think I'm right. The approachee said 'I don't want my kids to have to see me kill someone' doesn't make ANY sense when the 'me' is the OC-er, and it makes perfect sense (as a threat) if the 'me' is the approachee.

I guess you had to be there but what I'm saying is true. One 'me' makes no sense the other attributed 'me' is a veiled threat to the OC-er.

But whatever, the incident resolved peacefully. I still think I'd like to hear the actual conversation the approachee had with the OP.

Sorry but this passive aggressive 'for the kids' stuff just gets my panties in a major twist. :)

Hmm. I think you got it backwards. He did not use quotes and your quote is incorrect...

'I don't want my kids to have to see me kill someone'

Does Not Equal

He said he didn't want his kids to have to see me kill someone.

Here is how I read it.

He [Other Person] said he [Other Person] didn't want his [Other Person's] kids to have to see me [OCer] kill someone.

The OP would have used 'He said he didn't want his kids to have to see him kill someone', if it was the way you imply IMO.

Last edited:

ManInBlack

Let me break this down for you:
He said he didn't want his kids to have to see me kill someone.

He [whiner] said he [whiner] didn't want his [whiner's] kids to have to see me [open carrier] kill someone.

If the OP intended to convey what you suggest, it would have read like this:
He said he didn't want his kids, "to have to see me kill someone."

Knowledge

The guy actually called me over to him. He was pretty passive-aggressive but he shook my hand and walked away. He stood by his car for 10 or so minutes talking to his wife. Then they left. I assumed it was him that called because when I said I didn't have a license he gave me a weird look. I did edit our the cop rolling up but he sat in his car for awhile and very gradually walked up to me. He stood about 10 feet behind me for a minute or so. I didn't think it captured the interaction very well so I cut it out.