• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

My First Police Interaction

decklin

It's nice to hear about a positive interaction. Good for you and the cop.

Sawah, it's spelled Karate and you are confusing word order/association.

Amzbrady, thanks a lot. I was taking a drink when I clicked on your Star Trek pic.:D

Last edited:

amzbrady

The guy actually called me over to him. He was pretty passive-aggressive but he shook my hand and walked away. He stood by his car for 10 or so minutes talking to his wife. Then they left. I assumed it was him that called because when I said I didn't have a license he gave me a weird look. I did edit our the cop rolling up but he sat in his car for awhile and very gradually walked up to me. He stood about 10 feet behind me for a minute or so. I didn't think it captured the interaction very well so I cut it out.

Can you post the whole thing unedited from when you first spotted him to him leaving? Thanks really appreciate it.

ncwabbit

excuse me but did you folks miss the OP, as documented by his own admission on the utube clip, flatly state he has strapped on a firearm, OC, for his first time at the dog park, for the express purpose of intimination of another person.

this was a premeditated firearm carrying adventure which fortunately turned out positive.

sorry i do not share everyone's congraduatory salutations for someone who premeditates to toddle out w/a firearm to intiminate someone over a misadventure to his dog...me thinks it is an extremely bad reason to OC and then brag about it

wabbit

Last edited:

sudden valley gunner

excuse me but did you folks miss the OP, as documented by his own admission on the utube clip, flatly state he has strapped on a firearm, OC, for his first time at the dog park, for the express purpose of intimination of another person.

this was a premeditated firearm carrying adventure which fortunately turned out positive.

sorry i do not share everyone's congraduatory salutations for someone who premeditates to toddle out w/a firearm to intiminate someone over a misadventure to his dog...me thinks it is an extremely bad reason to OC and then brag about it

wabbit

Did you hear him say he hopes it deters what had happened previously? Do you work for Vancouver Prosecutors office?:rolleyes:

gogodawgs

Campaign Veteran

wabbit

Better listen again, listen for intent and what actually happened. You are off base. Don't believe it, I think I will be the first person to criticize if someone is out of line. And there will be many behind me to hold someone accountable if they are out of line.

ncwabbit

thanks svg, needed a chuckle...Vancouver Prosecutors office...merry met mate...

but efinition of deter: To prevent or discourage from acting, as by means of fear or doubt...
http://www.thefreedictionary.com/deter

so svg, is that why ppl OC is to inflict 'fear' in those around us?

wabbit

ps: gogodawgs, listened to it several times and not off base with my comments...sorry your perspective didn't let you be first to criticize...

Last edited:

sudden valley gunner

thanks svg, needed a chuckle...Vancouver Prosecutors office...merry met mate...

but efinition of deter: To prevent or discourage from acting, as by means of fear or doubt...

so svg, is that why ppl OC is to inflict 'fear' in those around us?

wabbit

ps: gogodawgs, listened to it several times and not off base with my comments...sorry your perspective didn't let you be first to criticize...

I OC because I can it's my right. I OC to educate others. I OC to normalize gun carry, to get people used to seeing guns around. If it happens to inflict fear in those who would want to harass or cause others harm and changes their behavior, I am cool with that too. I have seen the deterring effect of OC. And the very last reason I carry is for self defense, because that is the very last thing I would want to have to do with my firearm defend myself.

I have to admit when he first started talking about the dog park "issue" I was a little hesitant about his motives until he spoke more. I am absolutely positive his motive wasn't to instill fear in the general public but maybe make the guy who attacked his dog think twice, I see nothing wrong with that.

Stopping things by fear isn't always a bad thing. I had a guy come after me with a mason's hammer sometime ago, I turned my strong side to him calmly told him he better drop that "f'ing" hammer, and the next thing you heard was the hammer hitting the ground. Should I have not used "fear" to make him think a little more rationally? Should I have waited till he got closer and drawn, yet he was already approaching the 21 foot safety zone charging me? Should I have waited until he was past a point of me having to use my weapon?

The 2nd amendment is all about fear. It is supposed to keep our politicians in check by fear of an armed public.

You did raise a good point of discussion though, and to me these are things to think about on Why we carry.

amzbrady

I dont Open carry to intimidate either. I carry and what people percieve, is up to them. I always hope that what they perceive is that I am carrying in accordance to the law and that it is my right. I use to carry in the waist band and it used to dig into my side flaps. I now open carry and walk in comfort. If someone is intimidated by a properly carried firearm, then I would think that is their problem and is caused due to ignorance. As far as the OP, I would like to see the video uncut and unedited. My first thought was someone with under 30 posts and a camera man looking for a story, almost seems set up. I would think a proponate of the law, would have filed a police report on someone abusing an animal, esp since it was his own pet. Some things seem off. If I am off, then so be it.

Again...

need more input

johnny5isalive.jpg

Stretch

Lets review: Previous visit to the dog park, man attacks dog (just sounds funny). Next visit, dog owner brings along friend (deterrent), video camera (deterrent), and straps on his firearm (deterrent). Any one of those may or may not keep a person from choosing to attack the dog again, the owner, or maybe even chase a car down the street. Would it be any different had he put a can of mace on his belt?

Knowledge

wabbit

I don't leave my house without my gun, in fact I haven't since I started OCing. So, to assume I went to the dog park to "intimidate" anyone would be vastly mistaken. By that logic I went to Alderwood Mall OCing for the first time to return merchandise and wanted to "intimidate" REI for selling my wife a coat she didn't like. Or I went to the Library OCing for the first time to "intimidate" them because I don't like their late return policy. It's the first time cause I just bought my first gun, soooooo it's my first time OCing in places that I normally go.

Knowledge

Oh, and I called the cops when that guy threw my dog Maverick. All they did was tell him to leave. And I carry that camera when I leave the house because I thought it would be cool to Vlog rather then type what I did while OCing. I like videos. I respect a lot of your opinions and I intend to remain responsible with a firearm on my hip. I also agree with what SVG said about why he OC. If you want to know my motives or whatever send me a message. Why assume anything when I'm right here to answer questions. Just saying, sorry for the rambling.

Peace

Metalhead47

What, two pages in & no comment from dave_pro2a criticizing this cop's behavior?? :eek:

The word is intimidate.

sawah; said:
ManInBlack; said:
slapmonkay; said:

OH GOOD GAWD Can't we even agree on what someone SAID around here?? <facepalm>

I don't leave my house without my gun, in fact I haven't since I started OCing. So, to assume I went to the dog park to "intimidate" anyone would be vastly mistaken. By that logic I went to Alderwood Mall OCing for the first time to return merchandise and wanted to "intimidate" REI for selling my wife a coat she didn't like. Or I went to the Library OCing for the first time to "intimidate" them because I don't like their late return policy. It's the first time cause I just bought my first gun, soooooo it's my first time OCing in places that I normally go.

Good on you for handling it well, & good on the cop too. Hope to see you 'round some time. Would have been nice to get that fool on camera just for the LOLZ tho. That's got to rank in the top 10 "Stupidest things heard while OCing" list.

Last edited:

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
SNIP The 2nd amendment is all about fear. It is supposed to keep our politicians in check by fear of an armed public.

I missed that chapter. :p:)

If that is part of the plan, the politicians didn't get the memo. Look how we're treated--and we've got guns.

The Founders who wrote on the subject seemed more of mind that guns were available for actual use against an overbearing government. Thos. Jefferson went further and even suggested people periodically take up arms to remind the government they possess the spirit of resistance. Hypothetically speaking, of course.

H

Herr Heckler Koch

The 2nd amendment is all about fear. It is supposed to keep our politicians in check by fear of an armed public.
If by "politician" is meant elected official, then what is the significance of him being fearful of the armed constituency that elected him? The elected official has their faith or he does not. If not, then he should be recalled.

Fallschirjmäger

... deter: To prevent or discourage from acting, as by means of fear or doubt...

in·tim·i·date (n-tm-dt)
tr.v. in·tim·i·dat·ed, in·tim·i·dat·ing, in·tim·i·dates
1. To make timid; fill with fear.
2. To coerce or inhibit by or as if by threats.
also courtesy of TheFreeDictionary.com

I also heard what the original poster said, he said deter which fits the definition. He did not say intimidate, and his actions did not fit the definition of intimidation.

Not saying you're wrong; but you heard what wasn't he said, and you defined what wasn't there.

Last edited:

Fallschirjmäger

Now, if the OP wanted to carry to intimidate, he could have just followed SLC Police Chief Chris Burbank's example, and I quote, "...But open-carry is different, he adds. For example, a law enforcement officer openly carries a weapon for its “intimidation factor. In law enforcement, that’s the message you send...”
Chief Burbank carries a gun to frighten, intimidate, and instill fear in the people.

ManInBlack

If by "politician" is meant elected official, then what is the significance of him being fearful of the armed constituency that elected him? The elected official has their faith or he does not. If not, then he should be recalled.

1. Not all states have the recall, and what offices are subject to recall vary in the states that do.
2. Think of it as an additional deterrent to them trying to pull some shady stuff on the sly...

sudden valley gunner

I missed that chapter. :p:)

If that is part of the plan, the politicians didn't get the memo. Look how we're treated--and we've got guns.

The Founders who wrote on the subject seemed more of mind that guns were available for actual use against an overbearing government. Thos. Jefferson went further and even suggested people periodically take up arms to remind the government they possess the spirit of resistance. Hypothetically speaking, of course.

That's what I am getting at it was meant to be an implied threat of violence against tyranny or an overbearing government. I think the nationalist for more central control Hamilton would wonder why we let our governments get so out of hand.

jbone

I see some landmines there in the park, the guy should have been more worried abount his kids stepping into one of those, also looked the the Officer was trying to aviod one or two himself.

Add: Nice Job.

Last edited: