• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

LEO encounter

saefrog

Great Cop

I thought this was funny...Kudos to this open carry citizen...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1n1BHJs5V5c

I would actually give kudos to the police officer for acting professionally and doing the right thing, however, if nothing was accomplished from the stop and the citizen is doing a legal action as the officer admitted himself, then isn't it a waste of resources and time to even do the stop in the first place? I understand most 911 calls can't be disregarded by the officers, but most places allow 911 calls to be disregarded either by a supervisor or dispatch who understands that the action is legal and police can't take any action. The officer could have been using that time to do drug interdiction stops instead.

Damiansar-15

Agree

LEOs will stopping wasting their time, if they realize nothing will come from talking to OCers. If they believe they can spark something that leads to an arrest, I am sure they will pursue. If all they are going to get is an awkward situation caught on tape everytime they "investigate" an open carry incident, then they probably will request a disregard or make the "investigation" very quick and painless, e.g. say "be safe, and have a nice day"...

The LEO had the same "gum-pack" camera on his chest that I use for open carry... Having the handheld makes it more obvious that one is taping and allows the open carrier an instrument to focus on when ignoring questions from LEOs.

Damian