• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Moving to Missouri

attrapereves

I'll be moving to Columbia in a little over a month. I don't intend on getting a Missouri permit as my Florida and Arizona permits will be valid there. If I intend on staying in Missouri for a long time, I will consider getting the CCW. Has anyone been harassed as a Missouri resident but having an out-of-state permit?

How is OC viewed in Columbia?

Lastly, are there any good outdoor ranges in the area that allow high powered rifles?

I'm looking forward to the move!

jimogden

I have my ccw through florida and never had any problems. Been pulled over a couple times with it and the cops were cool with it. I had one say he wished I had one through missouri so it would show up when he runs my name but that's the worst I've had happen. I live in the kc area and only open carried twice but had no troubles either time...of course one of those times was when I stopped in the hood to get gas.

mspgunner

I'll be moving to Columbia in a little over a month. I don't intend on getting a Missouri permit as my Florida and Arizona permits will be valid there. If I intend on staying in Missouri for a long time, I will consider getting the CCW. Has anyone been harassed as a Missouri resident but having an out-of-state permit?

How is OC viewed in Columbia?

Lastly, are there any good outdoor ranges in the area that allow high powered rifles?

I'm looking forward to the move!

I'm sure some one from Columbia will chime in, as far as i've heard ut is very OC cool!

Mule

A few miles north of town on Hwy 63 is a Mo Dept of Conservation range. Berms to 100 yards. Free to use, your tax dollars at work.

Sometimes patronized by those with poor gun handling etiquette.

F350

I'll be moving to Columbia in a little over a month. If you're looking for a great country house I still have one a few miles to the west, would consider a rent, 4200 sq feet on 20 acres, you can shoot deer off the back deck, and one hell of a deck if I may say so myself.

I don't intend on getting a Missouri permit as my Florida and Arizona permits will be valid there.Yep out of state permits for residents are just fine

If I intend on staying in Missouri for a long time, I will consider getting the CCW. Has anyone been harassed as a Missouri resident but having an out-of-state permit?Nope; due to shenanigans pulled by some county sheriffs after the passage of CCW some I know refuse to get a Missouri permit (controlled by the sheriffs who keep the money)and carry on out of state permits. Most LEO (outside the major shinola holes of St Louis [The Loo, as in toilet] and Kansas Chitty) are cool with carrying and know the laws, the Missouri Highway Patrol are extremely professional and supportive of carrying. Also Missouri is NOT a must inform state, but many do and seem to get a little leeway in a stop.

How is OC viewed in Columbia? I OCed there quite often, the only "problem" is answering questions from people; I have been "cop bumped" a few times (cop approaches and asks a simple question just to see how you react) I have walked past the police HQ and through the downtown while OCing without any trouble

Lastly, are there any good outdoor ranges in the area that allow high powered rifles? Green Valley Gun Club, what use to be the Chapman Academe, home of the Banchi Cup is now part of Green Valley and still home of the Bianchi Cup, good bunch of guys to get involved with

I'm looking forward to the move! Columbia is not a bad area I think you will like it there

OK...A couple more points about Columbia;

1} There is a gun-shop indoor range that is to be avoided, the owners are politically connected and she use to be in the legislature until term limited out, they are responsible (through their hand picked replacement) for a recent ____ing up of the CCW law. It is called Target Masters.

2} You need to join www.missouricarry.com/, great bunch of people and the best source for Missouri gun info (and inside scoop on the above)

3} Just to the NW is a little company called Central Missouri Machine Gun (CMMG) maker of some really fine AR-15s, their gun shop is called The Black Rifle just behind the Waffle House on Rangeline Rd in Columbia, and is the place to go for all things "Black Rifle".

4} Boone County State Bank is gun friendly; it's locally owned and one of the best banks I have ever dealt with (and I'm just shy of 60).

5} Do you like to fish? The spring shore line crappie bite on Mark Twain Lake is unbelievable!!!!! Also a river to the south along I-44 called the Gasconade has 2 claims to fame, (1) it is the crookedest river in the world (at one point you can put in and drift ~14 miles and only be 3 miles from where you put in). (2) It is said to be the best small mouth river in the country.

6} If you do get your Missouri CCW, contact Tim Oliver @ learntocarry.com

PM if you want any more info

Redbaron007

Not a citizen of Columbia; however, I do OC when there. Never had any issues at WalMart or Cracker Barrel; just a few glances, especially at Cracker Barrel by some seasoned citizens.