• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Out-of-state concealed carry permits approved (Wisconsin)

ccwinstructor

Centurion
March 21, 2012 By Bob Hague

A legislative committee has signed off on a rule which allows concealed carry permit holders from other states to carry concealed in Wisconsin, even though those states may have looser training requirements. Brian O’Keefe with the state Department of Justice told lawmakers on Tuesday that the agency has been able to keep up with demand for concealed carry permits. “We’re meeting all our statutory requirements,” O’Keefe told members of the Joint Committee on Administrative Rules. “Right now, on average, it’s probably about ten days we can turn them (permit requests) around.” About 100,000 applications have been received.

The JCAR approved an emergency rule allowing people issued permits in other states to carry concealed here, over the objections of Democrats on the panel. “To let people under reciprocity come in with a lesser degree of training and review than is required of our own citizens I think is absolutely wrong,” said state Senator Fred Risser.

“There is no requirement in the statute for other states training to be a factor in our recognition of our state, so we do not include that in our assessment of whether we recognize or not,” O’Keefe explained.

http://www.wrn.com/2012/03/out-of-state-concealed-carry-permits-approved/

ccwinstructor

Centurion
100,000 recieved. 2,000 not complete, disqualified 3,000 more each week

They are approving and returning permits within 10 days. At 108,000 permits, we reach 2% of the adult population in the first six months.

At 3,000 permits per week, we reach 3.5 percent by the first anniversary.

3.5 percent of the population is approximately 10 percent of voters.

ccwinstructor

Centurion
It only applies to people who are not Wisconsin residents.

I need details!

Does this mean any state that issues a license/permit will now be recognized? When does this go into effect?

I believe it means that they will recognize all permits from other states, but not for people who are Wisconsin residents.

davegran

Cassville Area -Twelve Miles From Anything, Wiscon
I need details!

Does this mean any state that issues a license/permit will now be recognized? When does this go into effect?
From the DOJ website:
Out-of-state Licenses Recognized in Wisconsin
Under s. 165.25(12m), Wis. Stats., DOJ is required to establish a list of states that issue a license to carry a concealed weapon, if that license requires, or designates that the holder chose to submit to, a background search that is comparable to the type of background check that DOJ is required to conduct for Wisconsin licensees. The Wisconsin background check includes two components: (1) a criminal history record search; and (2) a search of the national instant criminal background check system (NICS) operated by the Federal Bureau of Investigation. Any person who is at least 21 years of age, who is not a Wisconsin resident,* and who holds a valid concealed carry license issued by any of the states on DOJ’s list will be recognized in Wisconsin as an out-of-state licensee, per s. 175.60 (1)(g).

DOJ has now promulgated an administrative rule, Wis. Admin. code s. Jus 17.13, under which DOJ will maintain on this website a list of all states that DOJ has found to conduct background checks comparable to Wisconsin’s. In developing that list, DOJ determined that a background check is comparable to Wisconsin’s only if it includes both a criminal history record search and a NICS search. It is necessary to require inclusion of NICS because that database includes some data related to potential disqualifying conditions that is not included in other national background check databases or in databases operated by individual states.

In establishing this list, DOJ has tried to be as inclusive as possible and has communicated with officials in every other state to obtain information about their background check laws and policies. This list is current as of 12/08/11:

Arizona
Arkansas
California
Colorado
Connecticut
Georgia
Hawaii
Idaho
Indiana
Iowa
Kansas
Kentucky
Louisiana
Maryland
Michigan
Minnesota
Montana
Nebraska
New Mexico
New York
North Carolina
North Dakota
Pennsylvania
Tennessee
Texas
Utah
Virginia (Non-Resident Only)
Washington
Wyoming
Puerto Rico
U.S. Virgin Islands

hermannr

This flap in interesting as WI recognizes WA, and WA has NO training requirement. BTW: WA was one of the first group recognized.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Tell me one more time, please. Why are Virginia resident permits not honored. :banghead:

JJC

Pehaps I'm being nit picky. But why should we honor New York when New York doesn't honor any other permits. Now is the time for the good people of New York to demand their rights.

JJC

protias

Pehaps I'm being nit picky. But why should we honor New York when New York doesn't honor any other permits. Now is the time for the good people of New York to demand their rights.

JJC

Better question, why shouldn't we?

Captain Nemo

Two subjects involved here. Training and background checks. Out of state permits are recognized in Wisconsin if their training requirements are less than ours. Out of state permits ar not recognized if the other states background check does not include both a check of the state's criminal data base and the FBI NICS data base.

While the relaxion of training requirements may imply that licensee's in other states with lessor training requirements have carte blanche approval to carry a concealed handgun in Wisconsin, The requirement for a dual background check throttles that notion.

The requirement for the dual check will prove to be a headache for the DoJ, which by statute must maintain a current list of states whose permits are recognized by Wisconsin. The presumption is that the list would be ever growing and relatively stable. More and more states are slowly pursuing constitutional carry ( I think it was reported on this forum that there are 12 states in that process at this time). If background checks are eliminated as a result of adopting constitutional carry then that states name would have to be removed from the DoJ list. The list would become volatile and require that the DoJ keep it current real time and not just periodically update it. It would have to be kept current real time for court and law enforcement reasons. There are already states that appear on the current list that don't make muster. Maintaining the list may become a bigger chore than the DoJ envisioned.

Add the pending potential national reciprocity bill( HR822) to the fray and the DoJ has quite a delemma brewing. (HR822 was approved by the house of representatives November 16, 2011.

hermannr

JJC

The reality in NY is, they do not have a "right" to bear arms in their State constitution. Much different than other states where there is at least some kind of acknowledgement of the 2A within the state constitution.

I do not begrudge a NY Citizen the "Right" my state constitution guarantees me...they can come on out and OC like I do, even apply for a Non-resident permit under the same conditions I have, I think it is good...HR822 SHOULD not be necessary, but the reality is, NY, NJ, MD, OR, CA and HI have no intention of ever acknowledging some other state's citizens "Right" to carry for SD unless they are actually forced to.

Well, actually OR does, but not for concealed.

Last edited:

WisconsinDavid

Texas

I wish my old home state of Texas recognized our WI permits as valid. I'll be visiting family there in April, but will not be able to carry there. I wrote their people to ask if there was any legislation in the works to recognize us as valid there, but was told nothing is pending.

E6chevron

That DOJ list is "current as of 12/08/11" And it is still the same list and date on their website (I do check in there for updates every other week or so...)

This new rule appears to be from 3/21/12. So when is it effective?

Brendon,

Do not depend on information from the mass media to be accurate.

This article is referring to a Proposed Permanent Rule that has been proposed by the Joint Committee on Rules and Regulations (JCRAR). It's purpose is to implement 2011 Act35 statute additions and changes. Primarily it supports Statute 175.60

There is no effective date for these rules yet, we are currently operating on Emergency Rules.

davegran

Cassville Area -Twelve Miles From Anything, Wiscon
Which also seems interesting as Missouri has more stringent training requirements than Wisconsin.....yet I don't see it on the list. What gives?
Wisconsin approval of another state's license depends on how they conduct their background check; no criminal history record search and/or no NICS check, no approval.
Out-of-state Licenses Recognized in Wisconsin
Under s. 165.25(12m), Wis. Stats., DOJ is required to establish a list of states that issue a license to carry a concealed weapon, if that license requires, or designates that the holder chose to submit to, a background search that is comparable to the type of background check that DOJ is required to conduct for Wisconsin licensees. The Wisconsin background check includes two components: (1) a criminal history record search; and (2) a search of the national instant criminal background check system (NICS) operated by the Federal Bureau of Investigation. Any person who is at least 21 years of age, who is not a Wisconsin resident,* and who holds a valid concealed carry license issued by any of the states on DOJ’s list will be recognized in Wisconsin as an out-of-state licensee, per s. 175.60 (1)(g).

mrjam2jab

More and more states are slowly pursuing constitutional carry ( I think it was reported on this forum that there are 12 states in that process at this time). If background checks are eliminated as a result of adopting constitutional carry then that states name would have to be removed from the DoJ list.

It seems to be that the states that are going ConCarry are still offering the permits to those that want one for reciprocity purposes....therefore the background checks still remain.