• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Harrassed by Chief of Police: Rallying the troops!

MKEgal

Good meeting with the Sheriff!
Looking forward to the next chapter, meeting with the Mayor.

Silverfox44 said:
OMG. I live in WA State and here we do not use the word BOY referring to you.
I think it might be more of the "I was powerless, now I can screw the rest of you" reaction.
Think about it - that term, esp. in that context (powerful to powerless) - is most often used toward blacks.
Wouldn't surprise me if the chief had been on the receiving end a few hundred times.
Doesn't excuse him being a bully. :mad:

If I'm trying to get the attention of a minor, I might say "hey, kid".
Might even use that with someone considerably younger than me, say half my age.
And I have referred to someone's child as "your boy" (or "his boy").
But only in jest & with someone I knew would take it as a joke would I use "boy" in the way in which the chief did with the OP.

Last edited:

sweetnsauer

Am I correct in thinking that in Louisiana is it legal to take an audio recording of a conversation so long as one or more parties to the conversation consent?

http://www.legis.state.la.us/lss/lss.asp?doc=78938

I was quite sure of this before I recorded anything, and I've been told this before by other people. It appears that the law says this pretty plainly. I just wanted to double-check to confirm. My friend recorded the conversation with Sheriff Williams. I consented for him to do so. We were not secretive about it, and he held his phone out the entire time in plain sight.

If everything is cool, I will share the conversation. I think you guys will be pleased with what the Sheriff had to say. The purpose is not to make him look bad at all, as it in fact makes him appear knowledgeable and polite (which he was). He's a good guy, and I trust that the St Helena deputies under his command will all be up to speed on OC. So next we need to make sure this is handled at the city level.

@ MKEgal: Of course not! Police officers, even the chief, should NOT be bullies! And we will hold them accountable for it as free citizens. :cool:

Seigi

I think that might be right, but don't take anyone's word for it - look it up yourself. We're not your lawyers. Maybe go find some cases that involve the statute.

As a matter of etiquette, you say he had the phone out but was its recording nature also apparent? And was the possibility that the tape would end up on the internet mentioned or implied? A summary with highlights is good enough, I think; no need to have the recording online.

Last edited: