• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

"Finger ‘gun’ lands dad in jail with son"

TFred

My first thought, Surry Redux... but apparently not charged with brandishing, but rather "assault on a law enforcement officer by intimidation", and two misdemeanor counts of obstruction of justice.

http://blogs.fredericksburg.com/newsdesk/2012/03/21/finger-gun-lands-dad-in-jail-with-son/

TFred

A Fredericksburg man was charged with two felonies Tuesday after he pretended to shoot at two city detectives by pointing his finger, police said.
The incident occurred outside Fredericksburg General District Court on Princess Anne Street following a preliminary hearing for the suspect’s son, city police spokeswoman Natatia Bledsoe said.

Two detectives ... had testified against the son, and the father apparently wasn’t happy with what they had to say.

Bledsoe said 58-year-old David Thomas Loveless was overheard making a comment about getting back at the detectives and made a gun gesture toward them as they got into their vehicles.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
I can't say it was the smartest thing in the world but the Cops reacted just as badly. Is NOVA a haven for idiot cops?
I guess that's where Richmond Cops that get fired for STOOPID....go.:lol: It used to be Hanover.

I can see the recruiting ads now:

nova.jpg

Last edited:
H

Herr Heckler Koch

I can see the recruiting ads now:
Judge Dredd's constabulary taken to new lows. Noomi Rapace's 'Lisbeth Salander' (Swedish Dragon Tattoo film character) might be Detective Chief Inspector.

Last edited:

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
I have never been more afraid in my life
?

Now where did I hear that before?

Now I'm not suggesting that anybody ought to be able to go around mumbling under their breath and such, but if the gesture described was sufficient to intimidate both cops simultaneously I'd hate to see what they go through when pulling a blue-haired old lady over for going 26 in a 25 zone.:uhoh:

stay safe.

nuc65

Activist Member
?

Now where did I hear that before?

Now I'm not suggesting that anybody ought to be able to go around mumbling under their breath and such, but if the gesture described was sufficient to intimidate both cops simultaneously I'd hate to see what they go through when pulling a blue-haired old lady over for going 26 in a 25 zone.:uhoh:

stay safe.

Maybe they are from the Culpeper area?

user

Accomplished Advocate
If they found that "intimidating", the F'burg cops must be a bunch of, well, you know. Sensitive people. And I wouldn't want to hurt their feelings.

paramedic

They just use freedom of speech defense. If all those people can burn the American Flag and get away with it under freedom of speech, then is this not the same thing

Mayhem

"Bledsoe said 58-year-old David Thomas Loveless was overheard making a comment about getting back at the detectives and made a gun gesture toward them as they got into their vehicles."

I don't know... Dude made comments about "getting back" at the cops who testified. That is no different than intimidating a witness in any trial. Fuzz or not. This is what causes people to NOT want to testify in trials and permits thugs to get off for their crimes.

And then to take it to the next level to let the po-po know that you are gunning for them by making a gesture you are "shooting them".
Same thing applies. You are trying to intimidate a witness and make them think twice about participating in court.

It is one thing to go get some surprise payback if that is what you really want to do. But when you speak out so they can hear you and you make a visual indication to remind them how they could get hurt while you would never act on it. But you are hoping to mess with them and get them to recant or not testify, or even lie so save their family from possible future harm.... I say that is wrong!!

And for all those people who play like it is no big deal and the fuzz should just suck it up.... I can tell you I was scared to death one night driving in South East DC when I got lost. Dude pulled up next to me and started talking about capping my butt and started reaching under his seat. I thought for sure I was about to get killed. I was lucky he did not have anything but I can tell you... I did not find it funny.

From the internet
"An assault is any unlawful attempt or offer with force or violence to do a corporal hurt to another, whether from malice or wantonness; for example, by striking at him or even holding up the fist at him in a threatening or insulting manner, or with other circumstances as denote at the time. an intention, coupled with a present ability, of actual violence against his person, as by pointing a weapon at him when he is within reach of it. When the injury is actually inflicted, it amounts to a battery. "

So it seems like indicating you want to shoot someone, as was done with a hand gesture, would actually be an assault. No different than walking up and showing your fists. Both ways are trying to scare someone. Right?

Last edited:

Mayhem

Heard this on the radio this morning, along with audio from the accused. His story? " I was lighting a cigarette."

Are you for real??? hahaahahaaah!!! And the talk about "getting back at them" was... the about the tobacco company? haahah

I am going to have to follow this story.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
My first thought, Surry Redux... but apparently not charged with brandishing, but rather "assault on a law enforcement officer by intimidation", and two misdemeanor counts of obstruction of justice.
--snip--

Terrifying, just terrifying!