• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

If a President Has a Power to Assassinate You...

Freedom First

This is an excellent article on the true danger posed by "assumed" powers when in the hands of an executive.

"If a president of the U.S. has a power to assassinate American citizens, then, logically, this means that he also has punitive powers that stop short of killing, since killing is for most of us just about the worst thing that can be done to us. In particular, if he has the assassination power, then he also has the power to imprison you indefinitely, to torture you, to starve you, to isolate you from the company of others, to take away all your property, to prevent you from working, to remove your vital organs, and to mutilate you. If a president has a power to kill you, then he has the power to do anything he wishes with you and to you."

Link to full article here.

My comments here.

Gil223

This is an excellent article on the true danger posed by "assumed" powers when in the hands of an executive.

"If a president of the U.S. has a power to assassinate American citizens, then, logically, this means that he also has punitive powers that stop short of killing, since killing is for most of us just about the worst thing that can be done to us. In particular, if he has the assassination power, then he also has the power to imprison you indefinitely, to torture you, to starve you, to isolate you from the company of others, to take away all your property, to prevent you from working, to remove your vital organs, and to mutilate you. If a president has a power to kill you, then he has the power to do anything he wishes with you and to you."

Link to full article here.

My comments here.

I read the article and found it to be........ of some interest. For being a small word, "If" carries a lot of suppositional weight. Of course the president has no official power to "assassinate" anyone, but when you're at the top of the political food chain you can get almost anything done by somebody, and still maintain 10 levels of deniability. And then there is the 'cleaner' option. We all can recall how the killer of the killer of JFK - Jack Ruby - died of a "pulmonary embolism, secondary to lung cancer", thereby eliminating the lower two levels that might someday trigger a need for deniability in the upper echelons. I consider no self-preserving action as to be beneath politicians. Pax...

Last edited:

F350

This is another blogger crying over the killing of Anwar al-Awlak.

If a US born person is actively engaged in acts of war against the US and is actively implementing plans to kill US citizens, but is beyond the ability of the US to arrest and try him; what would you suggest? Sit around drinking tea and say "Tisk, tisk, what a bad boy he is, if he ever comes back to the US we'll teach him a lesson"!

Stanley

This is another blogger crying over the killing of Anwar al-Awlak.

If a US born person is actively engaged in acts of war against the US and is actively implementing plans to kill US citizens, but is beyond the ability of the US to arrest and try him; what would you suggest? Sit around drinking tea and say "Tisk, tisk, what a bad boy he is, if he ever comes back to the US we'll teach him a lesson"!

+1

And killing someone is hardly the worst thing you can do to someone...

Freedom First

Don't like tea that much... I would prefer to see acting immediately through Due Process. Trial in absentia. You know, that pesky Fourth Amendment thing? Then, when Due Process has been satisfied and a conviction has been reached by a jury, put out a nice reward for the first one to bring in his head. Attached or not.

I take issue with killing a man without a trial... Either all Americans have Natural Rights which are codified and protected by the Constitution or none of us do.

When the POTUS assumes power to kill any American, he assumes the power to kill us all. Sorry, read your history. Tyrants tend to use powers left to them by their predecessors. Bush left the Patriot Act and Obama has expanded on that. What will the next man do with the power to kill certain Americans?

Last edited:

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
Great! Then let the executive prove it to a court.

The point isn't that the prez killed someone. The point is that the prez did it not only without trial but without a shred of judicial oversight, completely denying both the father's due process rights and the son's.

The son, you say?

Yep. His 16 yr old son was killed in a separate strike. Somehow, that gets overlooked a lot.

I don't care how "out of reach" the guy is, the executive can make a case before a judge and jury. They had plenty of time for that against the father. They had tried and failed months earlier.

All anybody has to go on is the executive's say-so that this guy was a threat that needed killing. Sorry, that horse won't run.

Last edited:

OC for ME

When more US citizens start taking incoming Hellfire missiles, then I'll start to get concerned about the president assassinating US citizens. What is more local is thug cops assassinating US citizens rights.

Stanley

Great! Then let the executive prove it to a court.

The point isn't that the prez killed someone. The point is that the prez did it not only without trial but without a shred of judicial oversight, completely denying both the father's due process rights and the son's.

The son, you say?

Yep. His 16 yr old son was killed in a separate strike. Somehow, that gets overlooked a lot.

I don't care how "out of reach" the guy is, the executive can make a case before a judge and jury. They had plenty of time for that against the father. They had tried and failed months earlier.

All anybody has to go on is the executive's say-so that this guy was a threat that needed killing. Sorry, that horse won't run.

I think you are mistaken.

He was added to the list for being a member of Al Qaeda. Congress approved considering Al Qaeda members as military enemies of the state and therefore, as military targets, they are not protected by the ban on assassinations, American citizen or not.

The executive really doesn't need to prove anything, well, they only need to prove he is a member of Al-Qaeda. He's on tv, youtube, Al-Jazeera and multiple other news sources stating he is in Al-Qaeda. Done... A confession, that's clearly not forced, is proof enough. Despite our newfound love of DNA and other types of evidence, a confession still meets the minimum requirement of proof.

Plus the list he was on was NOT an assassination list. It was a list of targets "approved for capturing or killing."

Essentially, he was wanted, dead or alive. That used to be the operating procedure in this country back when the government was smaller and the country was free like many people here wish it were again. People were to be brought in dead or alive.

Shrug...

He shouldn't have been in a war zone, actively fighting for a military enemy, in a foreign land. If American laws can be applied outside of the country, like in cases of child sex vacations (whatever they call that nastiness) then surely American law can be SUSPENDED outside of the country.

Article 3 - Section 3 of the Constitution

Treason against the United States, shall consist only in levying War against them, or in adhering to their Enemies, giving them Aid and Comfort. No Person shall be convicted of Treason unless on the Testimony of two Witnesses to the same overt Act, or on Confession in open Court. The Congress shall have Power to declare the Punishment of Treason, but no Attainder of Treason shall work Corruption of Blood, or Forfeiture except during the Life of the Person attainted.

He clearly admitted treason on multiple media outlets. Congress, not the president, determined Al-Qaeda to be an "Enemy." Clearly, through his admission, he was "levying War, adhering to Enemies and giving Aid and Comfort."

Clearly, he confessed...

If your hang up is the in "Open Court" part I'd get over it. One could argue he voluntarily gave up, or "waived his right" to "open court" by hiding in a foreign land while continuing to levy war against us. Note the Constitution does NOT specify how one may or may not waive their right or who gets to decide if it has or hasn't been waived. Plus, clearly, open court was intended for the confession to be heard by everyone so that they knew it was not coerced. I'm pretty sure his antics on Youtube and Al-Jazeera meet this requirement.

Since we do have trials in absentia, absence clearly can be used as a waiver of the right to confront accusers or participate in their own defense. It follows then that perhaps absence can be used as a waiver for the entire trial.

Plus, since we know the constitution applies to ALL people within our legal jurisdiction and not just citizens it would seem that Constitutional rights are not attached to citizenship but rather to physical location. It would then follow that the Constitution only applies within our jurisdiction. This dbag was clearly out of the jurisdiction of the Constitution and therefore should not have been protected by it.

Of course, I'm no Constitutional scholar so...

Last edited:
H

Herr Heckler Koch

How are American booted thugs differentiated here in the United States from there in A Frikkin' 'stan?

Once combatants are liable to criminal law then the military is obsolescent.

"Oyez, oyez. Silence in the court. Speak and ye shall be heard." "We hear the application to Hellfire-missile Hill 526. Prosecutor, make your argument."

Freedom First

I think you are mistaken.

Been there, done that... :D

Article 3 - Section 3 of the Constitution

Treason against the United States, shall consist only in levying War against them, or in adhering to their Enemies, giving them Aid and Comfort. No Person shall be convicted of Treason unless on the Testimony of two Witnesses to the same overt Act, or on Confession in open Court. The Congress shall have Power to declare the Punishment of Treason, but no Attainder of Treason shall work Corruption of Blood, or Forfeiture except during the Life of the Person attainted.

He clearly admitted treason on multiple media outlets. Congress, not the president, determined Al-Qaeda to be an "Enemy." Clearly, through his admission, he was "levying War, adhering to Enemies and giving Aid and Comfort."

Clearly, he confessed...

If your hang up is the in "Open Court" part I'd get over it. One could argue he voluntarily gave up, or "waived his right" to "open court" by hiding in a foreign land while continuing to levy war against us. Note the Constitution does NOT specify how one may or may not waive their right or who gets to decide if it has or hasn't been waived. Plus, clearly, open court was intended for the confession to be heard by everyone so that they knew it was not coerced. I'm pretty sure his antics on Youtube and Al-Jazeera meet this requirement.

Since we do have trials in absentia, absence clearly can be used as a waiver of the right to confront accusers or participate in their own defense. It follows then that perhaps absence can be used as a waiver for the entire trial.

Plus, since we know the constitution applies to ALL people within our legal jurisdiction and not just citizens it would seem that Constitutional rights are not attached to citizenship but rather to physical location. It would then follow that the Constitution only applies within our jurisdiction. This dbag was clearly out of the jurisdiction of the Constitution and therefore should not have been protected by it.

Of course, I'm no Constitutional scholar so...

Good post and many good points Stanley. The issue I do have is that any of the points you made can be bent in the future to apply to me. Or my kids.

If the executive can just say, "He's a terrorist!" then he can say anyone is. That is the "assumed power" that I find abominable and clearly unconstitutional.

If the government can waive a trial to someone at a whim merely because they happen to be elsewhere, rather than a trial in absentia, then we all lose our right to trial by our peers.

If all they need is a spoken phrase or written word to kill us, then again we all lose our right to a trial.

One man losing his Rights to our government means we all lose those same Rights.

Stanley

Been there, done that... :D

Good post and many good points Stanley. The issue I do have is that any of the points you made can be bent in the future to apply to me. Or my kids.

If the executive can just say, "He's a terrorist!" then he can say anyone is. That is the "assumed power" that I find abominable and clearly unconstitutional.

If the government can waive a trial to someone at a whim merely because they happen to be elsewhere, rather than a trial in absentia, then we all lose our right to trial by our peers.

If all they need is a spoken phrase or written word to kill us, then again we all lose our right to a trial.

One man losing his Rights to our government means we all lose those same Rights.

I would say then that "trials in absentia" are violations of civil rights and that henceforth, all confessions should not be counted as evidence...

This is one of those letter vs spirit of the law things.

The constitution only addresses traitors that have been caught. I doesn't address traitors actively engaged in warfare.

You say they are criminals deserving of a trial. I say they are by criminals, but soldiers of an enemy army.

If gaining citizenship in another country can result in the loss of citizenship then joining an enemy army should result in the same.

I

Freedom First

I would say then that "trials in absentia" are violations of civil rights and that henceforth, all confessions should not be counted as evidence...

This is one of those letter vs spirit of the law things.

The constitution only addresses traitors that have been caught. I doesn't address traitors actively engaged in warfare.

You say they are criminals deserving of a trial. I say they are by criminals, but soldiers of an enemy army.

If gaining citizenship in another country can result in the loss of citizenship then joining an enemy army should result in the same.

I

Agreed but any impingement on the Rights of one man is an impingement on the Rights of us all. That is not a letter of the law, it's reality.

Think of it this way: In many states we are ALL forced to obey unconstitutional gun control laws (CPL, GFZ, etc.) because of some few or even one man's crime. The government has now trained generations of Americans to believe that "...shall not be infringed." means "can be messed with when the government says it can." Not so but it's an accepted reality.

riverrat10k

Don't like tea that much... I would prefer to see acting immediately through Due Process. Trial in absentia. You know, that pesky Fourth Amendment thing? Then, when Due Process has been satisfied and a conviction has been reached by a jury, put out a nice reward for the first one to bring in his head. Attached or not.

I take issue with killing a man without a trial... Either all Americans have Natural Rights which are codified and protected by the Constitution or none of us do.

When the POTUS assumes power to kill any American, he assumes the power to kill us all. Sorry, read your history. Tyrants tend to use powers left to them by their predecessors. Bush left the Patriot Act and Obama has expanded on that. What will the next man do with the power to kill certain Americans?

This. American citizens get a trial, even if in absentia. Read the Constitution, y'all.

H

Herr Heckler Koch

Threads are becoming challenging to read for all the "This message is hidden because"

The United States Constitution applies to Americans.

And, now, another one.

Last edited:

Stanley

The United States Constitution applies to Americans.

And, now, another one.

The Constitution applies to everyone within the borders of the United States... Even illegal aliens are protected by the Constitution.

That implies that the Constitution is attached to location and not citizenship.

If citizens aren't bound to laws of the United States outside of our territory then why would the government be???

Just declaring "No, that's the way it is!!" ain't gonna cut it.

Also, if the "citizenship" is the overriding concern then all Al-Qaeda has to do is make sure an American citizen is with every single "unit" they have and then PRESTO we can't bomb them because that would be violating the American's civil rights??? That ain't gonna fly neither...

If you are surrounded by the enemy and you are NOT a hostage/POW then you've rescinded your rights. Hell, the cops can shoot you whilst trying to get the bad guy and suffer no repercussions. Why then can't the army bomb an American citizen in an attempt to kill the other non-citizen bad guys that were with him???

That was true in the Civil War, WW1, WW2, Korea, Vietnam and now Yemen...

Last edited:

OC for ME

I'm not losing any sleep over a dead scumbag terrorist or his kid. Brought a little smile of satisfaction in fact. I consider the expenditure of ordinance to ice that scumbag terrorist the perfect example of my tax dollars hard at work. I don't know about anyone else, but I don't get many opportunities to say that.

If that scumbag terrorist and his kid would've stayed here in the US and 'preached' to the faithful, here, he and his kid may have been in Gitmo right now (maybe not, given how screwy this DoJ and Obama are about such folks), instead of in heaven hanging with 72 'you know whats'. That scumbag killed his kid, or more accurately, that kid was dead already thanks to daddy, he just didn't know it.

Now, if I'm driving around in Yemen, I might keep one eye out for any UCAVs, just in case I just happen to be on the same section of road, at the same time as some scumbag terrorist.

Since I don't go to Yemen, or other places where scumbag terrorists hang out, I won't need to keep one eye open for UCAVs.

H

Herr Heckler Koch

Since I don't go to Yemen, or other places where scumbag terrorists hang out, I won't need to keep one eye open for UCAVs.
UCAV are being authorized for use by domestic (paramilitarized) police forces here in America. Pre-existing laws prohibit shooting them down.