• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Blundered into OC'ing in Denver, Met a Denver LEO!

M-Taliesin

Howdy Folks!
I went to my friendly Bello Credit Union the other day at Aurora Town Center, and of course, I was open carrying... like I do... and the point of my visit wasn't something this branch could accomodate. They recommended I should visit their branch at Havana and Mississippi.

So while I was out and about yesterday, I decided (impromptu fashion) to drop by that branch. Here is where that darn Denver boundary, meandering as it does all over the front range, proves problematic. Of course, I was open carrying as usual.

At 6th and Havana, you're still in Aurora for several more blocks west of Havana. So, I naturally figured that the line was several blocks west of Mississippi and Havana. Turned out, that wasn't quite accurate.

I walked into the bank, pistol proudly holstered on my hip, and just inside the entrance sat a Denver cop. I thought it odd that a Denver cop should be playing bank dick in an Aurora bank, but just went ahead with my business. In front of the cop was a sign-in sheet for folks needing to talk with a bank representative. Since my visit concerned a name change to my business enterprise, I signed in. He didn't say anything about my pistol, and I mentioned to him that I am armed but had no plans of doing anything nefarious. Tried to make that sound humorous, but he didn't appear to be endowed with a sense of humor. "You got a carry permit?" He asked.
"Yep! Sure do. You need to see it?"
"No," he replied. "But you aren't supposed to carry in here being it is private property."
Seeing an opportunity to say something smart, like... gee, I musta missed seeing the posting at the entrance, I simply held my tongue. He didn't tell me to leave, nor remove my sidearm, so I just stood back to await a bank rep to help me with my business. The cop kept looking at me like he was nervous or somehow similarly pushed out of shape, but I casually ignored him. Finally I got called to one of the desks and sat down to business with a representative. A question of process came up and the rep I was talking with needed to consult with another rep to determine the correct answer to my question, and nature was calling on me something powerful. I asked to check in with a man about a horse, and he walked with me to unlock an area where the restrooms are hidden. The cop eyed holes through me as we passed his position, but I continued to ignore his annoyance. After my work was done in the restroom, I came back through, again passing the LEO, and again feeling radiation burns welling up on my skin from his laser-like stare. The cop, previously consumed with text messages on his cellular phone now used it instead like a phone. He spent the rest of my visit time there talking with somebody on the phone. I figured he was calling in folks from SWAT, the RIOT squad, and perhaps even a contingent of the national guard. But that didn't happen either.

Once my business with the rep was done, I sauntered up to a teller window to make a depossit. The whole time I was at the teller station, the LEO kept watching me most intently. AFter doing a deposit, I turned and headed out the door. Half expecting to see a cordon had been thrown up around the bank, I was almost disappointed that nothing untoward took place. I walked across the parking lot, got in my rental car, and left the area.

So there you have it. I open carried in Denver. If I'd crossed Havana street to the east, I'd have been in Aurora, where open carry rights are respected and honored. But I was totally in Denver territory. Barely, but inside their stomping grounds. While at the teller window I verified that we were, indeed, in Denver at that location. But I made no effort to conceal my pistol. Seemed anticlimatic at that point anyhow, considering the LEO had gazed upon it already!

I was in Denver, I was open carrying, I was nearly eyeball to eyeball with a Denver LEO, and I survived to tell this tale. He didn't hassle me (much) and I was left alone to do my business and leave unmolested.

Maybe Denver figures there ain't much point fighting against open carry when their pre-emption exemption is likely to get overturned should somebody make a fuss of it.

Well, I guess them's the berries!
Blessings,
M-Taliesin

mahkagari

Bellco has been cool to me. I made some post somewhere in here about speaking to them about their policy. It's worth noting that one of the feeder groups is government employees which includes ex and current LEOs. Not only are there plenty of those hanging around carrying (and you're more likely to be mistaken for one), but they are member owned and will set the policy.

You mentioned the LEO's demeanor, how about the bank employees?

M-Taliesin

You mentioned the LEO's demeanor, how about the bank employees?

Howdy Mahkagari!
I've never been received with anything apart from cordiality and friendly service at any Bellco I've visited while open carrying. The same is true of TCF banks and Credit Union of Denver. Nobody in any of those places has ever given any indication they are alarmed or want me to leave. I go in, do my business and go my merry, without anybody saying anything to me.

The one exception is the experience I described here. The D-LEO was sitting ensconced at a desk immediately inside the front door, facing the door, with the demanor that indicated he was working as guard/greeter/bank dick! He asks you to sign in if you want to meet with a bank representative for whatever business you may have. I frequently need papers notorized, and the credit union provides that service through member representatives. Since I needed a change to my business entity, I had to sign in to get 'in line' to see one. Hence, I was right there in front of the guy where he couldn't have missed my pistol if he'd wanted to. Sorta obvious at 2 - 2 & 1/2 feet distance.

But Bellco employees... never a comment or evidence of concern.

At TCF, I was approached by the branch manager. He struck up a conversation and we were soon discussing open carry vs. CCW, the process for obtaining a CCW, and opinions on various handguns for carry. He was interested enough to ask legitimate questions and explained that he intends to get his CCW, and didn't really know how to start that process. I never got the impression he was 'feeling' me out to determine whether I might be a threat or anything like that. The conversation started with "What model of handgun do you like to carry?" We talked about my XDm .40 compact on my hip, and he rejoined about his favorite pistol and how he was thinking about getting his CCW.

I think that D-leo in Bellco was likely bored out of his little mind, and saw an opportunity to be officious without any real authority to infringe on my rights. That musta galled him something serious.

Blessings,
M-Taliesin

Hamans-gallows

"Maybe Denver figures there ain't much point fighting against open carry when their pre-emption exemption is likely to get overturned should somebody make a fuss of it."

I think you may be on to something there.

Aj Weaver

It doesn't help that even the officers don't know know what the current law is. I saw this because I called Denver to find out if it was just the city of Denver or the County of Denver. The first officer I spoke to stated "As far as I know Open Carry is legal in Denver, but the city and county of Denver are the same" I told him I didn't think that was right and he agreed to look into it further and he would call me back. Sure enough he called me back and told me he was wrong that open carry is still illegal.

ZackL

This whole thread brings up a few questions for me; the first of which is, what can be done to strike down the ban? I mean, the only option I have really heard is that someone has to take it to trial. Which really doesn't sound too enticing. Next, what exactly are the rules if you happen to meander into Denver? Finally, if you're on privately held property, even if it's open to public access but doesn't encounter a large number of people (church, co-op, credit union, etc), who would have the final say? In the case of the co-op, as members are owners, would you have a say and have to defer to the board of directors or other such body?

Red Dawg

Well, Mr. M-T, you have had an eventful week, looking at the other posts, you have posted. LOL...You are the official ambassador for mid/south Colorado Open Carry Inc....Every time I read one of your posts, I always expect it to go downhill. Why, because you are a pretty nice feller, and eventually, somebody HAS to mess with you....Being a "poopy head"...Just smile...

M-Taliesin

Well, Mr. M-T, you have had an eventful week,
<Snip>
Being a "poopy head"...Just smile...

Howdy Red Dawg!
Yes, it has been an eventful week. Between getting stopped for a headlight, Finding an 18k gold earring and a 14k gold religous medal on Monday, finding two gold rings (10k and 14k) on Tuesday, going to the range yesterday to put at least 100 rounds down range, and finding a gold bracelet today, all in a week when I learned my first social security check will be here by April 28th, chasing around to do service of process on a couple of folks and trying to get folks to get along on the Colorado forum lately (a feat similar to herding cats, I might add) it has been quite the week.

All the more reason to kick back, relax, and enjoy being Mr. poopie head on a quiet evening at home.

Now, all I'd need to make the week complete is a fugitive to chase and haul off to jail!
Then I could have the complete poopie head experience all sewed up!

Thanks for the grins!
Appreciate you for the grins!
M-Taliesin