• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Opinions please

C.Stewart

Hey everyone, thinking of buying a new handgun and would love your opinions. Its a Sig Sauer P226 TAC OP.40 I love it compared to other guns i've shot and my current
XD 45 so just want some feedback on what you all think of it and any issues might have had. Thanks in advance.

M-Taliesin

Howdy Pard!
Wait a sec... am I missing something here? You're asking for opinions on a Sig 226? One of the finest handguns ever made?
What on earth could the question be?

Consider that handgun was adopted by many law enforcement agencies around the nation, and the FBI went to that weapon for their agents along with many in the intelligence community. The Navy Seals rely on a version of the 226 for their combat handgun. Those are some pretty darn impressive opinions right there.

The only real question you should have is 'how soon can you run the paperwork for me?'

Among my next handgun acquistions will be a sig 226, the MK25 model that is tricked out to acknowledge the contribution of our nation's Seal Teams!

You wan't reliability? The 226 delievers. You want durability? The 226 scores! You wan't a straight shooting firearm? The 226 hitss the mark!

Tell you what though... Go get it! And if you decide it ain't for you, I'll buy it off you! How's that for an opinion?

Blessings,
Mel

SigGuy23

Activist Member
Howdy Pard!
Wait a sec... am I missing something here? You're asking for opinions on a Sig 226? One of the finest handguns ever made?
What on earth could the question be?

Consider that handgun was adopted by many law enforcement agencies around the nation, and the FBI went to that weapon for their agents along with many in the intelligence community. The Navy Seals rely on a version of the 226 for their combat handgun. Those are some pretty darn impressive opinions right there.

The only real question you should have is 'how soon can you run the paperwork for me?'

Among my next handgun acquistions will be a sig 226, the MK25 model that is tricked out to acknowledge the contribution of our nation's Seal Teams!

You wan't reliability? The 226 delievers. You want durability? The 226 scores! You wan't a straight shooting firearm? The 226 hitss the mark!

Tell you what though... Go get it! And if you decide it ain't for you, I'll buy it off you! How's that for an opinion?

Blessings,
Mel

+1

This forum should have a like button like Facebook.

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
It's a horrible choice. I've read on the intertubes that it will <describe "bad" thing> and can never be relied on to <describe desired result>. Besides, it costs way too much while the price is so low that it must be because the manufacturer <describe cost-saving process> or uses <describe manufacturing process>/<describe parts>.

On top of all that, the caliber is too weak or too powerful and the bullet will not expand enough while it blows holes the size of truck tires through your innards. You will be blinded by the muzzle flash even at high noon on the desert with not a cloud in the sky. The sights are so small that they completely cover the target so you really do not know where you are aiming. You cannot field strip it for cleaning without a complerte armorer's tool kit which is why it's so easy to maintain. Plus, you will blow a hole in your leg because you do not have to pull the trigger in order to take the barrel off.

How's that for an opinion?

It's absolutely verbatim what the guy at the gun counter told me when I asked him.:shocker:

stay safe.

SigGuy23

Activist Member
It's a horrible choice. I've read on the intertubes that it will <describe "bad" thing> and can never be relied on to <describe desired result>. Besides, it costs way too much while the price is so low that it must be because the manufacturer <describe cost-saving process> or uses <describe manufacturing process>/<describe parts>.

On top of all that, the caliber is too weak or too powerful and the bullet will not expand enough while it blows holes the size of truck tires through your innards. You will be blinded by the muzzle flash even at high noon on the desert with not a cloud in the sky. The sights are so small that they completely cover the target so you really do not know where you are aiming. You cannot field strip it for cleaning without a complerte armorer's tool kit which is why it's so easy to maintain. Plus, you will blow a hole in your leg because you do not have to pull the trigger in order to take the barrel off.

How's that for an opinion?

It's absolutely verbatim what the guy at the gun counter told me when I asked him.:shocker:

stay safe.

How in the hell did this guy get a job at a gun store? lol. Remember the days when people actually had to know and did know what they were talking about when working in a specialty store such as a Gun Shop or Auto Parts store? Those were the days.

45acpForMe

Hey everyone, thinking of buying a new handgun and would love your opinions. Its a Sig Sauer P226 TAC OP.40 I love it compared to other guns i've shot and my current
XD 45 so just want some feedback on what you all think of it and any issues might have had. Thanks in advance.

The gun is great, the only criteria would be you. How does the gun fit your hand? Can "you" handle recoil from a .40s&w cartridge?

I shoot P220's regularly and picked up a P226 Tacops in 9mm for ammo diversity. The P226 is wider since it has a double stacked magazine so to decock it I have to relax my grip to move my thumb to reach the decocker. Not a big deal since decocking a gun is usually done after the threat is neutralized. ;-)

So if you can, pick up and hold a P226. If it feels good in your hand, get it.

ETA: The gun is great but the only "miss" in my opinion is not having a threaded barrel in it. If you are going to use it in "Tactical Operations" a suppressor is often involved. Then again 9mm and 40s&w are supersonic so I don't know how many people want to use underpowered sub-sonic versions of those rounds.

Last edited:

09jisaac

ETA: The gun is great but the only "miss" in my opinion is not having a threaded barrel in it. If you are going to use it in "Tactical Operations" a suppressor is often involved. Then again 9mm and 40s&w are supersonic so I don't know how many people want to use underpowered sub-sonic versions of those rounds.

You still get noise reduction with a suppressor even with supersonic ammo. Just because you want to run a suppressor doesn't mean you can't use the exact same round you use without it. Most of us only want a suppressor to limit hearing loss while not using ear protection, not to keep concealed from enemies or to retain hearing in an indoor shoot. Even most "Tactical operations" have limited use for a suppressed pistol. If I knew I had a high chance of needing a weapon on any day my go-to weapon would not be a pistol. It would be a rifle. The only need for a pistol is because it is difficult to carry long guns around, especially two long guns. Most "Tactical operations" just need a pistol for a fast secondary firearm, the suppressor would limit the speed.

45acpForMe

You still get noise reduction with a suppressor even with supersonic ammo. Just because you want to run a suppressor doesn't mean you can't use the exact same round you use without it. Most of us only want a suppressor to limit hearing loss while not using ear protection, not to keep concealed from enemies or to retain hearing in an indoor shoot. Even most "Tactical operations" have limited use for a suppressed pistol. If I knew I had a high chance of needing a weapon on any day my go-to weapon would not be a pistol. It would be a rifle. The only need for a pistol is because it is difficult to carry long guns around, especially two long guns. Most "Tactical operations" just need a pistol for a fast secondary firearm, the suppressor would limit the speed.

Fair enough. In my intended use I prefer a pistol as to not penetrate several houses in my neighborhood if the need arises. In an open area a rifle is best. In a SHTF scenario I want sound suppression to mask my location and protect my (or my childrens) hearing. Also if roving hoards of hungry people are looking for food and they hear a gunshot they know someone alive must have pulled the trigger so lets go investigate cause they might have food. So a suppressor reduces the radius of how far you could hear the shot.

09jisaac

Fair enough. In my intended use I prefer a pistol as to not penetrate several houses in my neighborhood if the need arises.

If you are assuming that a rifle caliber always penetrates further than a pistol caliber then you can always use a rifle in the same pistol caliber of your choice. This said weapon probably can be shipped from the factory with a threaded barrel.

45acpForMe

If you are assuming that a rifle caliber always penetrates further than a pistol caliber then you can always use a rifle in the same pistol caliber of your choice. This said weapon probably can be shipped from the factory with a threaded barrel.

One word, KRISS. ;-) http://www.kriss-arms.com/

kriss.jpg

Last edited:

09jisaac

Yea, I know. A small part of me dies everyday I don't get to shoot one. They just seem soo fun to shoot. I handled a long bbl one once. If I would have had the cash I would have got it.

45acpForMe

Yea, I know. A small part of me dies everyday I don't get to shoot one. They just seem soo fun to shoot. I handled a long bbl one once. If I would have had the cash I would have got it.

I have a KRISS and like it alot. My criticism of it are as follows:

1) The muzzle rise reduction is mainly for the full auto SMG version. The semiauto version makes it less needed.
2) The recoil reduction is nice but recoil from a .45acp round isn't much anyway so I can make a strong argument against the price.
3) The weight is significant such that I could use the same 30 round magazine in a Glock 21 and be more portable.
4) To use the suppressor you have to shorten the barrel to 5.5" and SBR it. You also lose accuracy and range.
5) At 100yds the 45acp bullet drops 5-6" so it is mainly a close quarters gun anyway.

I picked mine up right when they came out before many other carbines were available. Now KelTech has 9mm and 40S&W carbines for a whole lot cheaper, Glock has conversions to switch your pistol into a carbine, and there are a few other companies out there that make pistol caliber carbines for 1/3 to 1/4th the cost of the KRISS. When I got mine the KRISS whas 1/2 the cost of its only competiter the H&K UMP unless you got a Tommy Gun. ;-)

I had a conversation with a KRISS representative and told him my thoughts. My suggestions to him were to release it in different calibers like 10mm, 44Magnum, 50AE, 50S&W, or even 50BMG! How about a Shotgun version?

Again, I do like mine and bought it thinking it would be better for home defense than my rifles. At least for my innocent neighbors. :)

Last edited:

C.Stewart

Thanks for all the info and I did get it and love it! Probebly the best feeling handgun I've ever held. As far as recoil I don't notice any difference between my XD .45 and the Sig .40 the 1100.00 price tag is a little much but if its as reliable as I hear
im not worried and to me a handgun is only as acurate as the shooter.