• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Glock Locked Case or Not (school zones)

Rollbar

School zone question that popped in my mind for someone w/no CCW.

I know it is not the locks intended purpose. Just one of those questions.

[video=youtube;_DiKz5aE66c]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_DiKz5aE66c&context=C4476c3fADvjVQa1PpcFMNfY1upkdGkoeKkqWMYR3e lXT0IB0K0AI=[/video]

Last edited:

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
That is NOT a locked case.

Now, I know of no case (sorry about the pun) where a normal person has been found in violation of the unconstitutional Federal GFSZ. My understanding is that it MAY be used as a secondary offense against those who otherwise are also committing real crimes near a school.

If there are any real cases against normal people in a free state because of this law, I'd like to hear about it.

Rollbar

Just an outside the box question and that is why I posted it on a few forums for some to think about/discuss.

My Colt box has a MFG ring on it whereas I can lock it.

Wondering if I drill a hold in the handle and insert lock?

The Big Guy

School zone question that popped in my mind for someone w/no CCW.

I know it is not the locks intended purpose. Just one of those questions.

[video=youtube;_DiKz5aE66c]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_DiKz5aE66c&context=C4476c3fADvjVQa1PpcFMNfY1upkdGkoeKkqWMYR3e lXT0IB0K0AI=[/video]

If you are asking if having your firearm in a locked case would keep you from running afoul of the federal law concerning school zones, I would say no. The bigger problem as I understand it, you would be in violation of the state conceal carry law. It does not matter if it is in a clasped case, with a lock and then wrapped in duct tape, without a CC permit, you would be guilty of CC without a license. Silly, but looks to be the way it is.

TBG

Rollbar

I thought in Nevada U can have a concealed weapon in your car? Just not carry CCW if no permit.\

And from what I was told U had to have it locked up going w/in 1K feet of a school/driving through a known school zone, right.

Last edited:

Steve Larson

If you are asking if having your firearm in a locked case would keep you from running afoul of the federal law concerning school zones, I would say no. The bigger problem as I understand it, you would be in violation of the state conceal carry law. It does not matter if it is in a clasped case, with a lock and then wrapped in duct tape, without a CC permit, you would be guilty of CC without a license. Silly, but looks to be the way it is.

TBG

If I am not mistaken, (and really, all my U.S information comes from this forum)...as long as a person is not actually holding the case, then it is not CC, so casing it while driving through the school zone, then unlocking/uncasing it after, would be ok?

As for locking a Glock case... I'm not sure if it is the same as in Canada, but oddly, even with our very restrictive laws, just a simple zip strap like the ones for automotive wiring are allowed to be used, as technically, they require a tool to remove them. (knife, pliers, etc)

The Big Guy

I thought in Nevada U can have a concealed weapon in your car? Just not carry CCW if no permit.\

And from what I was told U had to have it locked up going w/in 1K feet of a school/driving through a known school zone, right.

Yes, you can have it concealed in your car. No, you can not have it concealed upon your person and that includes in a box, bag, breifcase or wrapped in a towel. If it is concealed and in your hand, it is CC without a license.

TBG

battleborn

Correct me if I am wrong but it isn't a school zone we need to be concerned about, but school grounds/premises...

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
Correct me if I am wrong but it isn't a school zone we need to be concerned about, but school grounds/premises...

We are refering to an unconstitutional Federal Law, Title 18 Chapter 44 Section 922 (q) (2) (A):
It shall be unlawful for any individual knowingly to possess a firearm that has moved in or otherwise affects interstate or foreign commerce at a place that the individual knows, or has reasonable cause to believe, is a school zone.

Title 18 Section 921 defines a school zone as within 1000 feet of a school.

Exceptions to this law include being on private property, having a state license, or having the firearm unloaded and in a locked case.

Rollbar

correct me if I'm wrong, im still learning... isn't there a 1000 foot gun free "zone" around schools if you don't have a CC permit?

That is what I have studied. We have talked about this before as fallonJeeper has explained w/the statutes cited, but the case in question is at hand. Outside of the box technically it is locked.

The 1K rule even applies from the football field /edge of the grass two block over. :shocker:

battleborn

We are refering to an unconstitutional Federal Law, Title 18 Chapter 44 Section 922 (q) (2) (A):
It shall be unlawful for any individual knowingly to possess a firearm that has moved in or otherwise affects interstate or foreign commerce at a place that the individual knows, or has reasonable cause to believe, is a school zone.

Title 18 Section 921 defines a school zone as within 1000 feet of a school.

Exceptions to this law include being on private property, having a state license, or having the firearm unloaded and in a locked case.

Having state license (NV CCW?) exempts you from the disputed 1000 ft rule?

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
Rollbar said:
Does that mean the clip (magazine) can be in the same box but the firearm unloaded?
This being a Federal law, the Federal (ATF) definition of loaded is a loaded chamber or an "attached" magazine containing ammunition. My understanding is that a nearby (even touching) magazine does not constitute "loaded" for a Federal law. I will promise to shake your hand and wish you well if my opinion does not stand up in court.

NV defines loaded as a round in the chamber.

Last edited:

Rollbar

This being a Federal law, the Federal (ATF) definition of loaded is a loaded chamber or an "attached" magazine containing ammunition. My understanding is that a nearby (even touching) magazine does not constitute "loaded" for a Federal law. I will promise to shake your hand and wish you well if my opinion does not stand up in court.

NV defines loaded as a round in the chamber.

Thank you. I wouldn't mind shaking your hand anyway for all the help you have been on here and some other forums. :D

Jim

Vegassteve

Keep in mind Nevada law does not allow you to have even a cased and locked gun on school property unless you have written permission. This is different than just the 1000 ft rule.

b0neZ

What about if you are on a highway within the 1000 ft. zone, just happen to get pulled over for something, and are OC? Are you still guilty of violating the GFSZ even though you had no intention of stopping in the first place?