• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Out of state handgun/registration question

JoshD422

Hey CT folks!

First of all, new member here, so I appreciate anyone taking the time to look this over and help me out.

I'm active duty USAF stationed in MD, but I'll be moving back up to CT permanently to go back to school in a few months (CT is where I'm originally from, and is my home of record). From what I understand (and please correct me if I'm wrong) CT doesn't require registration of handguns but DOES keep a record of handguns purchased in the state. My question is this: If I have a handgun that I legally purchased in MD, is there any type of registration I need to go through (DPS or whatnot) in order to legally bring it with me and possess/carry within CT? I'm referring specifically to registration of the handgun. I already have my CT permit to carry.

Thanks again!

Josh

motoxmann

I dont believe we have any form of registration process. as long as you have your CT permit, and some form of proof that you purchased the gun legally and are the official owner; you should be all set. A few of the more legal-experienced guys on here should be able to clear up the question 100% though

JoshD422

Right on. I appreciate the reply. I do have the invoice/receipt from where I bought it, of course, as well as all the registration paperwork (for Maryland). And I'm not sure how interconnected the databases are state to state (ie. whether or not a LEO in CT would be able to see the MD info), but I know I'm registered as the owner in the MD database.

Also, I'm not sure if it sounds this way, but I'm certainly not looking for an excuse to register the handgun with CT if it isn't necessary. I just don't want to run into any trouble if it turns out I was required to and didn't. I wasn't exactly thrilled with going through the hassle in MD, but it seemed like a better option than having no handgun at all.

Good Citizen

Pistol in home Question

Based on this thread I would like to run a hypothetical, technically if the individual coming from Maryland was not legally eligible to get a pistol permit in Connecticut, say he had a statutory disqualifier, such as possession of marijuana in Connecticut (when he lived here), he could still legally transport the pistol to his home, as part of a move, and leave it there, and not have to notify anyone or register the pistol. Would I be correct in assuming that? It is my understanding that the only firearms that you cannot bring into the state as your personal property are banned quote unquote assault weapons, lol and we all know what a joke that list is, legal sks with a 30 round clips & no AK-47s, Legal Roni glocks Kits (Glock Uzi’s) with banana clips with a tax stamp but no Mac-11’s or Uzi style handguns.

Thx for any input!​

JoshD422

How do plan on getting back to CT? Hope you are flying back directly to CT.

No, sir. I plan on driving directly from my home in MD to my home in CT without stopping for gas, lunch, or even a slice of Junior's cheesecake (delicious though it may be). Under FOPA this is a completely lawful transport (provided, of course, that the weapon is unloaded and locked in my trunk. Beyond all that, even as overzealous as some state/local LEAs may be, I find it really hard to believe they could fabricate any RAS to warrant opening my trunk. I don't speed or drive like a mad man.

KIX

Based on this thread I would like to run a hypothetical, technically if the individual coming from Maryland was not legally eligible to get a pistol permit in Connecticut, say he had a statutory disqualifier, such as possession of marijuana in Connecticut

Not a disqualifer, per se. You will be questioned on it. If it's an old charge, the better. Unless.... you had volume.

The 11 misdemeanors for which a permit must be revoked/denied are:

1. criminally negligent homicide (excluding deaths caused by motor vehicles) (CGS § 53a-58);

2. third-degree assault (CGS § 53a-61);

3. third-degree assault of a blind, elderly, pregnant, or mentally retarded person (CGS § 53a-61a);

4. second-degree threatening (CGS § 53a-62);

5. first-degree reckless endangerment (CGS § 53a-63);

6. second-degree unlawful restraint (CGS § 53a-96);

7. first-degree riot (CGS § 53a-175);

8. second-degree riot (CGS § 53a-176);

9. inciting to riot (CGS § 53a-178);

10. second-degree stalking (CGS § 53a-181d); and

11. first offense involving possession of (a) controlled or hallucinogenic substances (other than a narcotic substance or marijuana) or (b) less than four ounces of a cannabis-type substance (CGS § 21a-279(c)).

Jonathan

KIX

No, sir. I plan on driving directly from my home in MD to my home in CT without stopping for gas, lunch, or even a slice of Junior's cheesecake (delicious though it may be). Under FOPA this is a completely lawful transport (provided, of course, that the weapon is unloaded and locked in my trunk. Beyond all that, even as overzealous as some state/local LEAs may be, I find it really hard to believe they could fabricate any RAS to warrant opening my trunk. I don't speed or drive like a mad man.

Of course, my ass would pucker all the way through the metro NY/NJ area!

I think I would set cruise control at 55 and listen to some really mellow jazz or big band to slide right through.......

Jonathan

JoshD422

Of course, my ass would pucker all the way through the metro NY/NJ area!

I think I would set cruise control at 55 and listen to some really mellow jazz or big band to slide right through.......

Jonathan

Actually, that's almost exactly what I do when making that drive anyway... :lol:

Seriously, I see no reason to feel threatened or intimidated by driving through those jurisdictions. I won't be breaking any laws, and I REALLY won't be giving law enforcement any invitations to pop my trunk.

JoshD422

Not a disqualifer, per se. You will be questioned on it. If it's an old charge, the better. Unless.... you had volume.

The 11 misdemeanors for which a permit must be revoked/denied are:

1. criminally negligent homicide (excluding deaths caused by motor vehicles) (CGS § 53a-58);

2. third-degree assault (CGS § 53a-61);

3. third-degree assault of a blind, elderly, pregnant, or mentally retarded person (CGS § 53a-61a);

4. second-degree threatening (CGS § 53a-62);

5. first-degree reckless endangerment (CGS § 53a-63);

6. second-degree unlawful restraint (CGS § 53a-96);

7. first-degree riot (CGS § 53a-175);

8. second-degree riot (CGS § 53a-176);

9. inciting to riot (CGS § 53a-178);

10. second-degree stalking (CGS § 53a-181d); and

11. first offense involving possession of (a) controlled or hallucinogenic substances (other than a narcotic substance or marijuana) or (b) less than four ounces of a cannabis-type substance (CGS § 21a-279(c)).

Jonathan

I think what he was asking is if it's legal to keep a firearm that was legally purchased in another state in one's home without a permit or eligibility cert, assuming he transported it lawfully. I know CT requires a permit or cert for purchase of a handgun, but what about mere home possession of a handgun that you already own?

IH8SPM

You could always cut across the Tappen zee bridge and your almost in CT when you do. I use that short cut to avoid the Cross bronx parking lot expressway.

JoshD422

You could always cut across the Tappen zee bridge and your almost in CT when you do. I use that short cut to avoid the Cross bronx parking lot expressway.

Sometimes I do that, but since I'm usually traveling in the middle of the night, traffic isn't much of a concern anyway, and the x-bronx/gwb is a straighter shot. They're gonna rape me with tolls either way... :(

IH8SPM

Sometimes I do that, but since I'm usually traveling in the middle of the night, traffic isn't much of a concern anyway, and the x-bronx/gwb is a straighter shot. They're gonna rape me with tolls either way... :(

You'll be fine. I just suggested to avoid it all together. I work in ny so i usually avoid parking there unless its the middle of the night or early morning. Heads up the construction under the apartments is horrible. Take the upper level on the way in to ny.

JoshD422

You'll be fine. I just suggested to avoid it all together. I work in ny so i usually avoid parking there unless its the middle of the night or early morning. Heads up the construction under the apartments is horrible. Take the upper level on the way in to ny.

Right on, I appreciate it.