• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Connecticut Carry - The Waterbury police department has been refusing permits against

Rich B

Waterbury, Connecticut, March 22, 2012:

Connecticut Carry has received numerous complaints that the Waterbury Police Department continues to demand additional and invasive requirements before they allow their citizens to apply for a permit to carry pistols and revolvers. Further, the Waterbury Police Department refuses those applications if a citizen rightfully refuses the demand.

The lack of legal authority for a local police department in the State of Connecticut to invent their own requirements and supplemental forms in the application process has been established in legal opinions dating back to at least 1968 in a published opinion by then Attorney General Robert Killian.

In January, 2010, the Connecticut Board of Firearm Permit Examiners upheld this same legal opinion, extending and clarifying it, publishing it and sending it to all of the municipal police departments in the state, including the Waterbury Police Department.

The Waterbury Police Department continues to ignore the Attorney General’s office, the BFPE, the legislature and therefore the people of Connecticut by refusing to issue permits to people who refuse to submit to the burdens that the Waterbury Police Department has placed on the permit process while lacking any legal authority to do so.

Connecticut Carry calls on the leadership of the Waterbury Police Department to correct these behaviors and to stop infringing on the rights of the citizens of Waterbury to bear arms.

Connecticut Carry also calls on Mayor Neil O’Leary of Waterbury to mandate that the Waterbury Police department follow the Connecticut General Statutes. Connecticut Carry has also notified the Board of Firearms Permit Examiners and Attorney General George Jepsen in their official capacities on this issue.

More information on this issue can be found on: http://ctcarry.com/Campaign/PermitRequirements

Connecticut Carry is dedicated to advancing and protecting the fundamental civil rights of the men and women of Connecticut to keep and bear arms for defense of themselves and the state as guaranteed by the United States Constitution and the Constitution of Connecticut.

Richard Burgess
President
Connecticut Carry, Inc
Ph: 203-208-9577
Email: rich@connecticutcarry.com
http://ctcarry.com

davidmcbeth

Banned
Much has changed since 1968 and even 2010. I applied for my permit & did not give them any money, no prints, etc. It is a right to carry & I think that the form & issuing permit process is only voluntary so any information you give is of the same variety.

Nice to see some case law regarding this...

I expect to be denied the permit .... and I will carry on from there to the legal fight ahead. It will be a long fight I imagine.

KIX

Nothing new here.

Until more people send in their app, and Waterbury gets dragged over the carpet, nothing will change.

I'll have to check my notes to see if they were present yesterday at the hearings or not.

Jonathan

CTSurvivor

Particularly if no one steps up and everyone waits for things to magically change...

Rich... I have a direct line to a higher up's ear. Please email what information you would like to be considered and I will personally deliver it to them.

brk913

Rich... I have a direct line to a higher up's ear. Please email what information you would like to be considered and I will personally deliver it to them.

I don't know if Rich got back to you but the issues in Waterbury are that they are refusing to accept/process applications without extras (letters of reference in particular). The women who "accept" the application are very rude (especially one named Rose) and will not even discuss these issues with the applicant. They have actually turned their back and walked away on applicant's who have questioned the extras and refused to even acknowledge that they are still at the "window".

One of my students even brought in the Declaratory Ruling from the Board of Firearm Permit Examiners and they would not even look at it. (I am sure they have already seen it, they just won't follow it.)

Last edited:

Rich B

Sent you all the info we have on this, all located on our site.

For everyone else's reference:

People should feel free to spread this around as much as possible, lets put Connecticut PDs on notice that this kind of abuse is noticed, unlawful and will be fought.

Rich B

Well, you could either file criminal charges against the idiot refusing to accept the applications

How would that work when there is no penalty to the statute?

or go through all the hassle to get a judge to issue a writ of mandamus forcing them to comply with state law.

This is not outside of the realm of possibility (as well as a much broader deprivation of rights lawsuit). We need people to step up and get involved first. Money rules the days in the courts.

http://ctcarry.com/Account/Donation

brk913

Well, you could either file criminal charges against the idiot refusing to accept the applications or go through all the hassle to get a judge to issue a writ of mandamus forcing them to comply with state law.
As Rich said, unlike Florida we do not have a penalty attached to the statute for people who are abusing their authority to delay or discourage the permit process. The problem with a Writ of Mandamus is it is still hard to enforce. I have heard of at least one person in CT who was denied, took it to appeal, won the appeal and the Chief of Police still refused to issue, I believe he got a Writ of Mandamus from the courts and yet the Chief still won't sign off, I'll see if I can find the cite for this...

brk913

Well, since my little one won't let me sleep past 5AM I will have plenty of time to have a few cups o joe before you come on...good luck and thanks again for being the public spokesperson on these issues.

brk913

Just finished listening to Rich on the radio, GREAT JOB!!! Hopefully some Waterbury Officials were listening...

Good Citizen

??Instant Denial??

If an applicant has there completed permit application refused (IE instant denial) with everything properly enclosed that the state requires, cant that citizen then file at the board firearms examiners. I’m sure if enough of these come across the boards desk given their declaratory rulings this will become an issue. Understanding the board aint’ no short wait, or solution!

Rich B

If an applicant has there completed permit application refused (IE instant denial) with everything properly enclosed that the state requires, cant that citizen then file at the board firearms examiners. I’m sure if enough of these come across the boards desk given their declaratory rulings this will become an issue. Understanding the board aint’ no short wait, or solution!

Sure. The issue that occurs is how many people in this state want to 'martyrs' for the cause and 'take one for the team' by waiting that time for an appeal and then having to go to the hearing and then still waiting for their permit?

Waterbury has clear instruction that they shouldn't be doing this stuff anymore. Individuals should not have to stand on their own when it comes to matters this important.