Results 1 to 12 of 12

Thread: open carry on the james river

  1. #1
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    henrico
    Posts
    4

    Question open carry on the james river

    hey gotta question or two

    Im new to open carry ive done some reading but i am still unclear about something can i open carry while fishing at anne carrow boat ramp its off maury and commerce and i go alone alot so i would like to also are there any restrictions to having your weapon chambered and viechle transport i ride a motorcycle so im guessing plain sight is on the hip im guessing on that one i know this sounds stupid but im always told the only stupid question is the one not asked
    Last edited by sigmaken; 03-23-2012 at 09:42 PM. Reason: double post

  2. #2
    Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    North Chesterfield, Va.
    Posts
    34,622
    Quote Originally Posted by sigmaken View Post
    Im new to open carry ive done some reading but i am still unclear about something can i open carry while fishing at anne carrow boat ramp its off maury and commerce and i go alone alot so i would like to also are there any restrictions to having your weapon chambered and viechle transport i ride a motorcycle so im guessing plain sight is on the hip im guessing on that one i know this sounds stupid but im always told the only stupid question is the one not asked
    Welcome to OCDO sigmaken - hope you enjoy it here and that you become a frequent flyer.

    I'm not familiar with that ramp, but if it is city or county owned then OC or CC would be legal. If private property, then of course their rules.

    Presuming that you are 18 yo or more you may OC on your motorcycle legally and of course loaded/hot - otherwise is would be a fancy paper weight.

    We are having a small OC breakfast tomorrow morning - come on out and introduce yourself - a lot more ground can be covered in a very short time in face-to-face conversations.
    http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/sh...2-NEW-LOCATION

    BTW - take the time to look at our Forum Rules. Double posting the same question on different threads is discouraged. Don't feel badly though, it takes time to get the feel for things here. I did consolidate your 2 posts into this one thread.

    Look forward to meeting you.
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training. Archilochus, 650 BC

    Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

  3. #3
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    henrico
    Posts
    4
    Thank you for the info and yes i am 22 23 in may also i honestly didnt know the other post went through my internet acsess is my stupid smartphone it tends not to do want i want i will try to join you all for breakfast if i get off in time i work at night on the side i am however going tp the gunshow around ten

  4. #4
    Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    North Chesterfield, Va.
    Posts
    34,622
    Quote Originally Posted by sigmaken View Post
    Thank you for the info and yes i am 22 23 in may also i honestly didnt know the other post went through my internet acsess is my stupid smartphone it tends not to do want i want i will try to join you all for breakfast if i get off in time i work at night on the side i am however going tp the gunshow around ten
    Stop by the VCDL table at the show and say HI - you can sign up for the free Va-Alerts there or here. This is a weekly listing of events, happenings and changes to our laws around the Commonwealth. We never sell, rent or lend your email address and won't spam you.

    If you're running a little bit late for the breakfast - come on anyway - likely we'll still be there for a spell.
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training. Archilochus, 650 BC

    Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

  5. #5
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    henrico
    Posts
    4
    Sorry i didnt get to do either actually i found out the hard way that a fairly large piece of my living room floor was rotten through i just sighned up for the alerts and cant wait for the next open carry breakfast

  6. #6
    Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    North Chesterfield, Va.
    Posts
    34,622
    Quote Originally Posted by sigmaken View Post
    Sorry i didnt get to do either actually i found out the hard way that a fairly large piece of my living room floor was rotten through i just sighned up for the alerts and cant wait for the next open carry breakfast
    Ouch! re living room floor. By all means make sure you do not have termites or similar.

    Next OC breakfast:
    http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/sh...22#post1733122

    Also have an OC dinner scheduled:
    http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/sh...-10-12-at-7-pm
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training. Archilochus, 650 BC

    Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

  7. #7
    Founder's Club Member thebigsd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Quarryville, PA
    Posts
    3,543
    I second the welcome!!! Stick around and you will learn a lot!!
    "When seconds count between living or dying, the police are only minutes away."

  8. #8
    Accomplished Advocate peter nap's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    13,580
    I third the welcome (fellow MC rider and fisherman when I can get away)

  9. #9
    Regular Member riverrat10k's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    on a rock in the james river
    Posts
    1,453
    You SHOULD be ok, but I will look for a cite.

    The landing is in the City of Richmond. I am assuming you are fishing off the levee down there.

    Ancarrow's landing is maintained as Public Boating Access and falls under the Dept. of Game and Inland Fisheries.

    I would have to go deeper into the law, but as far is I know, there are no carry restrictions at public landings unless they are associated with a Management Area of some sort.

  10. #10
    Accomplished Advocate peter nap's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    13,580
    Quote Originally Posted by riverrat10k View Post
    You SHOULD be ok, but I will look for a cite.

    The landing is in the City of Richmond. I am assuming you are fishing off the levee down there.

    Ancarrow's landing is maintained as Public Boating Access and falls under the Dept. of Game and Inland Fisheries.

    I would have to go deeper into the law, but as far is I know, there are no carry restrictions at public landings unless they are associated with a Management Area of some sort.
    I think he's OK RR. There are boat landings in WMA's but as I understand it, the landings outside are owned by the locality and constructed and maintained by DGIF.

  11. #11
    Regular Member riverrat10k's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    on a rock in the james river
    Posts
    1,453
    Right , that was my point. City of Richmond.

  12. #12
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    henrico
    Posts
    4
    Thanks for the welcome everybody and found out when my house was built they didnt seal around my sliding glass doors so 15 stiches later and alot of spliters its all good now i decided to put in lamanet hardwood floor and i open carried down at ann carrow last night catfishing with my buddies no issues a richmond leo even stopped by to see if we catchin anything he was really nice headin to the breakfast soon
    Last edited by sigmaken; 04-07-2012 at 09:02 AM.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •