• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

So I think open carry just got me out of a parking ticket.

Hamans-gallows

I was cruising around beautiful Manitou Springs, CO yesterday on my motorcycle, and I stopped to get a drink from the mineral spring on Ruxton Ave. I was carrying my 1911 in a thigh rig.

Manitou Springs is well known for their zero tolerance and enthusiastic enforcement of everything.

There were no parking spots, so I pulled in front of an unused garage door and walked the ten feet to the spring to fill up my water bottle. I sat down on the bench and was chatting with a couple from Denver that come down twice a year to fill up all their bottles with the miracle health water. Like most people in Colorado, they didn't care in the slightest that I was carrying.

So I had almost finished drinking my water, so that I could fill it up again and be on my way, when I notice a guy walking up to my bike, getting ready to enter my plate number into his hand-held. I walked up and told him that I had just stopped to get a drink, and he started bitching about a yellow curb, and a $35 dollar fine. I told him that I would like to fill my bottle, and be on my way. All of a sudden he stopped talking and walked back across the street to his Parking Enforcement van. I took this as an OK, and filled my bottle, as the lady from Denver talked about how ridiculous it was for him to be wanting to ticket me since I wasn't hurting nor inconveniencing anyone.

Well, as I made another 60 seconds or so of chit chat, he was standing by his vehicle across the street, looking perplexed. He would start to cross the street toward me, and then turn around and go back to stand by his van. The couple from Denver and I were about as nonchalant and calm as could be.

I put my newly filled bottle in my Jacket pocket, got on the bike, and slowly rode off.

I can't be sure what the Meter Maid was thinking, but I suspect that he was just reluctant to be an ******* to an obviously armed man.

I then parked on main street and proceeded to go walk around the arcade. stroll the main street and stop into a shop to buy an orange to eat. As usual in Colorado, no one seemed to bat an eye at the scruffy looking guy wearing the gun.

Hamans-gallows

"I can't be sure what the Meter Maid was thinking, but I suspect that he was just reluctant to be an ******* to an obviously armed man."

Oops, new here. didn't know that I couldn't use the colloquial term for posterior orifice.

Last edited:

M-Taliesin

Howdy!
I'm confused why bother with a confrontation at the fountain on Ruxtan when you eventually ended up at the arcade... where they also have one of those fountains? Sorta had the added dimension of "one stop shopping!"

Unless, of course, you wanted to drop by Mountain Man for a new "Bare A$$ Trail Guides" tee shirt! LOL!

Blessings,
M-Taliesin

Hamans-gallows

Howdy!
I'm confused why bother with a confrontation at the fountain on Ruxtan when you eventually ended up at the arcade... where they also have one of those fountains? Sorta had the added dimension of "one stop shopping!"

Unless, of course, you wanted to drop by Mountain Man for a new "Bare A$$ Trail Guides" tee shirt! LOL!

Blessings,
M-Taliesin

Navajo Spring at the arcade tastes like butt. Twin Spring on Ruxton tastes good. Twin Spring is always my go to place when I am in Manitou.

Last edited:

since9

Campaign Veteran
I can't be sure what the Meter Maid was thinking, but I suspect that he was just reluctant to be an ******* to an obviously armed man.

If I'm not mistaken, they don't have arrest powers. Was he armed? If not, them they almost certainly don't, and probably didn't want to mix it up with you. They may either fall into the same category as or actually be a Community Service Officer (CSO), which is a non-sworn position. CSOs have to go through 3 weeks at the Academy, as opposed to the 26 weeks required by a sworn police officer recruit.

As for a map to the various soda fountains around Manitou, I can help you there! Or rather, here. I like the Soda Spring best, as it just pours out. My son loves it, so we'll grab a couple of three-gallon jugs when he's in town and turn it into soda-lade (carbonated pink lemonaid)