Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 31

Thread: Guy from the phone company called me an idiot

  1. #1
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Milwaukee, Wisconsin, ,
    Posts
    836

    Guy from the phone company called me an idiot

    Weather permitting I walk 3-5 miles every day. I was open carrying my Glock 26 w/X-grip on a 17 round mag in a Blackhawk paddle holster. I was on the sidewalk near the intersection of 92nd & Bluemound in Milwaukee/Wauwatosa.

    There were 4 AT&T pick up trucks parked on the street. About 6 men exited the El Fugue restaurant located on the corner. All of them were wearing AT&T polo shirts or button up shirts with the logo on them.

    One of the men pointed at me and said very loudly "Look at that! What an idiot!"

    I was already past them and quite a distance so turning around and walking back towards them was not the best choice. It may have been construed as a threat, and engaging someone already talking loudly may not have looked good to any witnesses. So I simply called out "Just exercising my civil liberties, pal!" and kept walking.

    I'm sure his employer appreciates him calling someone names while wearing their official clothing.
    And while I am no threat, (he doesn't know that), How wise is it to insult someone you know to be armed?

    Who is the real idiot?

  2. #2
    Campaign Veteran MAC702's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Nevada
    Posts
    6,520
    You immediately need to call their employer. These men were wearing their uniforms as employees and were with their official vehicles.

    Any chance you are an AT&T customer, also?

    Aside: Maybe he is a gun-guy, too, and was referring to OC'ing such a tiny gun!
    Last edited by MAC702; 03-24-2012 at 02:04 PM.
    "It's not important how many people I've killed. What's important is how I get along with the people who are still alive" - Jimmy the Tulip

  3. #3
    Herr Heckler Koch
    Guest
    What an amazing tension among civil rights. Mandatory recognition of the Second Amendment but not the First Amendment, on one hand, and observation of the First Amendment but not the Second Amendment on the other.

  4. #4
    Campaign Veteran MAC702's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Nevada
    Posts
    6,520
    Quote Originally Posted by Herr Heckler Koch View Post
    What an amazing tension among civil rights. Mandatory recognition of the Second Amendment but not the First Amendment, on one hand, and observation of the First Amendment but not the Second Amendment on the other.
    Their conduct as uniformed employees has nothing to do with the First Amendment.
    "It's not important how many people I've killed. What's important is how I get along with the people who are still alive" - Jimmy the Tulip

  5. #5
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Under your bed
    Posts
    542
    He was just trying to be the big man in front of five of his pals, I wouldn't let him bother you. I highly doubt he would have had the courage to open his mouth if he didn't have his buds around.

    It's always funny the anti-gunners are always talking about how people shouldn't carry guns because if they get pissed off they will start shooting, then they start talking smack about those same people they think are unstable.











    Thanks for not shooting them!
    Last edited by Jason in WI; 03-25-2012 at 06:03 PM.

  6. #6
    Regular Member xenophon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Milwaukee, Wisconsin, USA
    Posts
    316
    Get a truck number?

  7. #7
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Somewhere, Wisconsin, USA
    Posts
    1,029
    pkbites; I say this tongue in cheek because I know that you have long supported the right of personal protection and our firearm rights. I also know that you would not use it as a crutch when off duty and exercising your rights as a civilian but "Shoulda flashed your badge".

  8. #8
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Milwaukee, Wisconsin, ,
    Posts
    836
    Quote Originally Posted by MAC702 View Post

    Any chance you are an AT&T customer, also?
    I got rid of AT&T about a year ago and replaced it with Magic Jack. MJ works fantastic and is less than $50 a year as compared to the $50+ a month I was paying for AT&T.

    Quote Originally Posted by MAC702 View Post
    Aside: Maybe he is a gun-guy, too, and was referring to OC'ing such a tiny gun!
    With the X-Grip and a holster it's difficult to know it's a sub-compact. With 17+1 rounds the only thing small about it is the barrel.


    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Nemo View Post
    "Shoulda flashed your badge".
    No, I can get in trouble at work for doing that. In fact, we were told sometime ago that if we open carry off-duty we were not to have our badges visible as it may get people to believe we're on duty when we're not.

    BTW, Not that it's all that important, but I posted the wrong restaurant name. After I posted I went to work and drove past the place and it dawned on me I had given the wrong name. It's actually La Fuente

  9. #9
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Somewhere, Wisconsin, USA
    Posts
    1,029
    OK pkbites. I suspected you couldn't show your badge off duty. I just thought it would be humorous to see the look on the guys face if you did.

  10. #10
    Regular Member MKEgal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    in front of my computer, WI
    Posts
    4,426
    Quote Originally Posted by MAC702
    You immediately need to call their employer. These men were wearing their uniforms as employees and were with their official vehicles.
    +1 If you're lucky, AT&T has GPS tracking of their vehicles, or the employees had to call in to report where & when they were on lunch.

    Maybe he is a gun-guy, too, and was referring to OC'ing such a tiny gun!
    The 26 is 6.5x4.25". Not all that small. (Though I prefer having the mag extension.)
    I was wondering about using the full-size mag in the baby Glock. Doesn't that look kinda odd? It's approaching double the capacity [17 v. 10]. Do you have something around the lower part of the larger mag so it's smooth with the grip?
    Quote Originally Posted by MLK, Jr
    The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort & convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge & controversy.
    Quote Originally Posted by MSG Laigaie
    Citizenship is a verb.
    Quote Originally Posted by Proverbs 27:12
    A prudent person foresees the danger ahead and takes precautions.
    The simpleton goes blindly on and suffers the consequences.
    Quote Originally Posted by Proverbs 31:17
    She dresses herself with strength and makes her arms strong.

  11. #11
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Milwaukee, Wisconsin, ,
    Posts
    836
    Quote Originally Posted by MKEgal View Post
    I was wondering about using the full-size mag in the baby Glock. Doesn't that look kinda odd? It's approaching double the capacity [17 v. 10]. Do you have something around the lower part of the larger mag so it's smooth with the grip?
    You guys never used an X-grip? Their simplicity at it's finest, just like a Glock. It's just a piece of rubber that slides over a higher capacity mag and becomes part of the grip. It turns the baby G into a high capacity pistol with a full size grip. Absolutely no tools required. Takes less than a second to install.

    When the weapon is in a holster an untrained eye does not notice it much. Just looks like a full size pistol. Great for open carry. Concealed carry I put the small 10 rounder back in and put the pistol in a jacket pocket.

    If carrying an upholstered Glock in a pocket concerns you, check out the Siderlock safety. I installed one on my 26 and it works excellent. Great for pocket carry.

  12. #12
    Regular Member MKEgal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    in front of my computer, WI
    Posts
    4,426
    Quote Originally Posted by pkbites
    You guys never used an X-grip?
    Nope.
    Mostly because
    a) I haven't heard of it before
    and b) I've never had my full-size G.40 & my baby G.40 at the same time to swap mags (long story), & I don't have a baby G9mm to swap mags with my full-size G9mm.

    We'll have to get together for coffee or lunch sometime so I can see what it looks like "on".
    I know this nice little coffee shop near St. Joe's hospital...

    If carrying an upholstered Glock in a pocket concerns you...
    LOL!!!
    I know what you meant, but the typo gives an interesting mental image.
    Would certainly be more comfortable than those gen4 grips.

  13. #13
    Regular Member TyGuy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    775
    To me the biggest printing issue with the G26 is the grip, so using an X grip makes it print like a 17, without the longer sigth radius, a lose lose IMHO.

  14. #14
    Regular Member DocWalker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Mountain Home, Idaho, USA
    Posts
    1,968

    Cool

    You know it doesn't always have to be about the size, what matters more is how you use it.....

    I have seen people shot with a 45 that didn't have as much trouble clinging to this earth as someone shot with a 22 that hit just the right spot in the body.

  15. #15
    Regular Member TyGuy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    775
    I agree, but why print as much as a larger firearm with a smaller one?

  16. #16
    Herr Heckler Koch
    Guest
    Open carry is legal in Wisconsin and ineffectively concealed printing carry is licensed in Wisconsin. Don't give the gun controllers from the right and the left any new ideas on control.

  17. #17
    Activist Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Ashland, KY
    Posts
    1,847

    Lightbulb

    Quote Originally Posted by DocWalker View Post
    You know it doesn't always have to be about the size, what matters more is how you use it.....
    I have always been told that statement is incorrect! Haha.

    ATT does have gps tracking in their vehicles, however it keeps track of speed, location(keeps you within a certain range, and if you go outside of it, it sends a message), how long your vehicle is stationary. If you call and inform them you were called an idiot, they can determine who it was by simply asking their emoyees. I doubt their system records vehicle information 24/7, because that is a very costly system. The system sends emails whenever the vehicle does something they have it programmed to inform them of. If they stayed at the resteraunt for more than 30 mins., then I would say an email was sent and they could track it that way. However that is his opinion, and he is entitled to it. When I used to work for the state of Ky, people would call in on us for things we did not even do, and if it wasn't for witnesses(fellow employees), we would have been reprimanded. So you don't wanna be the reason this guy loses his job, especially in*such uncertain times. JMO, not that you was going to do so. Thank you for being an Leo who actually cares about our constitution!

  18. #18
    Regular Member TyGuy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    775
    Last post them I'm out, to keep the thread from derailing.

    Yes, I prefer OC, but sometimes being discreet is the order of the day, so I choose CC. Or perhaps I will be carrying in another state where printing is an issue. My point is, why choose a smaller firearm, slap crap on it making it print just as poorly as a larger firearm while not getting the benefit of a longer sight radius? The barrel length isn't usually an issue as that goes inside my pants anyway (using a Crossbreed supertuck deluxe). It's the grip that causes me any printing grief, and putting that extension on a 26 gives it essentially the same grip as the 17 with a shorter sight radius and increased recoil, read harder follow up shots. It doesn't make sense to me. If you want the fullsize then go with it and enjoy the benefits.

    Anyway, I'm outtie. We can discuss this elsewhwere if desired.

  19. #19
    Campaign Veteran MAC702's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Nevada
    Posts
    6,520
    Quote Originally Posted by KYGlockster View Post
    ... However that is his opinion, and he is entitled to it. When I used to work for the state of Ky, people would call in on us for things we did not even do, and if it wasn't for witnesses(fellow employees), we would have been reprimanded. So you don't wanna be the reason this guy loses his job, especially in*such uncertain times. ...
    When wearing your company uniform next to your company truck "your" opinion is now your company's opinion.

    IF he received any reprimand, it wouldn't be the fault of the victim of the insult, but rather of the person doing the insulting.

    And if the reprimand included a firing, it would probably be because of a pattern of behavior and not a single incident. Indeed, this should be on his record to determine if such a pattern exists.

    There is no excuse for his insulting behavior to another legal adult that chooses to exercise more personal responsibility than he does.

    Had I been called an idiot, his firing wouldn't bother me at all. Insults come from bullies and ********, and I've little tolerance for either.
    "It's not important how many people I've killed. What's important is how I get along with the people who are still alive" - Jimmy the Tulip

  20. #20
    Regular Member HandyHamlet's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Terra, Sol
    Posts
    2,779
    Quote Originally Posted by MAC702 View Post
    Had I been called an idiot, his firing wouldn't bother me at all. Insults come from bullies and ********, and I've little tolerance for either.
    Can I get an AMEN!

    "Don't interfere with anything in the Constitution. That must be maintained, for it is the only safeguard of our liberties."
    Abraham Lincoln

    "Some time ago, a bunch of lefties defied the law by dancing at the Jefferson Memorial, resulting in their arrests. Last week, a bunch of them pulled the same stunt and - using patented Lefist techniques - provoked the Park Police into having to use force to arrest them."
    Alexcabbie

  21. #21
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Milwaukee, Wisconsin, ,
    Posts
    836
    Quote Originally Posted by TyGuy View Post
    Yes, I prefer OC, but sometimes being discreet is the order of the day, so I choose CC.
    I conceal 98% of the time.

    But when I'm walking or walking my dog, I prefer open carry. There is a far slimmer chance of people getting their undies in a bunch, or people asking stupid questions. I've open carried into stores and such, but not very often.

    My tactical position on open carry while walking alone is this: if 2 poop heads are cruising around thinking about robbing someone, They'll see a pistol on my hip, realize I'm ready to rock-n-roll, and decide to keep on driving and rob someone else. Deterrence is the foundation of self defense.

  22. #22
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Milwaukee, Wisconsin, ,
    Posts
    836
    Quote Originally Posted by MKEgal View Post
    Nope.
    Mostly because
    a) I haven't heard of it before
    and b) I've never had my full-size G.40 & my baby G.40 at the same time to swap mags (long story), & I don't have a baby G9mm to swap mags with my full-size G9mm.
    Don't need both. I carry my Baby G on duty and I've always qualified with it, including at the 25 yard mark. I just carry it with the Xgrip and high caps in my mag pouch. Several officers are doing this with either the 26 or the 27. Take the high caps and Xgrip off and it's an off duty piece.

    I love the versatility of this gun. It can be a full sized duty gun or a compact pocket pistol, or something in-between.

    Get yourself a 33 round magazine or a 200 round Drum magazine and it can even be an "Assualt Weapn"!

  23. #23
    Regular Member DocWalker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Mountain Home, Idaho, USA
    Posts
    1,968
    Quote Originally Posted by pkbites View Post
    I conceal 98% of the time.

    But when I'm walking or walking my dog, I prefer open carry. There is a far slimmer chance of people getting their undies in a bunch, or people asking stupid questions. I've open carried into stores and such, but not very often.

    My tactical position on open carry while walking alone is this: if 2 poop heads are cruising around thinking about robbing someone, They'll see a pistol on my hip, realize I'm ready to rock-n-roll, and decide to keep on driving and rob someone else. Deterrence is the foundation of self defense.
    Ok I have to ask....

    If you say deterrence is the foundation of self defense and you OC as part of that deterrence then why only oc 2% of the time? Logic dictates that 98% of the time you are walking around without any deterrent factor.

    I fully agree with you that OC is a better deterrent than CC as the criminals know there is 100% chance you will fight back if they can see your weapon and their best guess is 50/50 if they don't see a weapon to deter them from making you a statistic.

  24. #24
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Milwaukee, Wisconsin, ,
    Posts
    836
    Quote Originally Posted by DocWalker View Post
    Ok I have to ask....

    If you say deterrence is the foundation of self defense and you OC as part of that deterrence then why only oc 2% of the time? Logic dictates that 98% of the time you are walking around without any deterrent factor.
    Fair question.

    Because my observation is, the risk of being robbed while in the Walmart is low. An armed robber is going to hit the cashier or store office and not individual customers. An active shooter who is simply going inside the place to make the world pay because he's a loser is not going to be deterred from going inside and doing that because he cannot see open carriers in the store when he is outside coming in. The deterrent here may be the fact that it is legal for someone inside to be carrying a gun who may fight back.

    Also the risk factor is somewhat matched by the bother of having people ask dopey questions in the store ("are you a policeman?" "Do you have a permit for that?" Yadda yadda yadda. Though this doesn't happen as often as it used to. ). Many times I'll open carry while walking from my car across the parking lot to a store, and then conceal with my jacket/shirt/sweater upon entering.

  25. #25
    Regular Member hermannr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Okanogan Highland
    Posts
    2,332
    Hej pk...I conceal or OC as per whatever I happen to be wearing...that is I never dress for my carry, and I don't own anything I would want to try conceal on purpose...My normal carry's are either a CZ85 or a 6" Colt revolver..

    I don't live in WI, and I know OC is relatively new out there, but I have never (over 40 years now) been bothered in a Wal-Mart by anyone...that really happens out there?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •