• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Guy from the phone company called me an idiot

pkbites

Yes, I prefer OC, but sometimes being discreet is the order of the day, so I choose CC.

I conceal 98% of the time.

But when I'm walking or walking my dog, I prefer open carry. There is a far slimmer chance of people getting their undies in a bunch, or people asking stupid questions. I've open carried into stores and such, but not very often.

My tactical position on open carry while walking alone is this: if 2 poop heads are cruising around thinking about robbing someone, They'll see a pistol on my hip, realize I'm ready to rock-n-roll, and decide to keep on driving and rob someone else. Deterrence is the foundation of self defense.

pkbites

Nope.
Mostly because
a) I haven't heard of it before
and b) I've never had my full-size G.40 & my baby G.40 at the same time to swap mags (long story), & I don't have a baby G9mm to swap mags with my full-size G9mm.

Don't need both. I carry my Baby G on duty and I've always qualified with it, including at the 25 yard mark. I just carry it with the Xgrip and high caps in my mag pouch. Several officers are doing this with either the 26 or the 27. Take the high caps and Xgrip off and it's an off duty piece.

I love the versatility of this gun. It can be a full sized duty gun or a compact pocket pistol, or something in-between.

Get yourself a 33 round magazine or a 200 round Drum magazine and it can even be an "Assualt Weap:rolleyes:n"!

DocWalker

I conceal 98% of the time.

But when I'm walking or walking my dog, I prefer open carry. There is a far slimmer chance of people getting their undies in a bunch, or people asking stupid questions. I've open carried into stores and such, but not very often.

My tactical position on open carry while walking alone is this: if 2 poop heads are cruising around thinking about robbing someone, They'll see a pistol on my hip, realize I'm ready to rock-n-roll, and decide to keep on driving and rob someone else. Deterrence is the foundation of self defense.

Ok I have to ask....

If you say deterrence is the foundation of self defense and you OC as part of that deterrence then why only oc 2% of the time? Logic dictates that 98% of the time you are walking around without any deterrent factor.

I fully agree with you that OC is a better deterrent than CC as the criminals know there is 100% chance you will fight back if they can see your weapon and their best guess is 50/50 if they don't see a weapon to deter them from making you a statistic.

pkbites

Ok I have to ask....

If you say deterrence is the foundation of self defense and you OC as part of that deterrence then why only oc 2% of the time? Logic dictates that 98% of the time you are walking around without any deterrent factor.

Fair question.

Because my observation is, the risk of being robbed while in the Walmart is low. An armed robber is going to hit the cashier or store office and not individual customers. An active shooter who is simply going inside the place to make the world pay because he's a loser is not going to be deterred from going inside and doing that because he cannot see open carriers in the store when he is outside coming in. The deterrent here may be the fact that it is legal for someone inside to be carrying a gun who may fight back.

Also the risk factor is somewhat matched by the bother of having people ask dopey questions in the store ("are you a policeman?" "Do you have a permit for that?" Yadda yadda yadda. Though this doesn't happen as often as it used to. ). Many times I'll open carry while walking from my car across the parking lot to a store, and then conceal with my jacket/shirt/sweater upon entering.

hermannr

Hej pk...I conceal or OC as per whatever I happen to be wearing...that is I never dress for my carry, and I don't own anything I would want to try conceal on purpose...My normal carry's are either a CZ85 or a 6" Colt revolver..

I don't live in WI, and I know OC is relatively new out there, but I have never (over 40 years now) been bothered in a Wal-Mart by anyone...that really happens out there?

H

Herr Heckler Koch

I don't live in WI, and I know OC is relatively new out there, ...
Open carry has NEVER been "new" in Wisconsin.

It was legal before it was recognized in the Wisconsin Constitution in Article 1 Section 25 in November of 1998 and open carry was still legal after concealed carry was statutorily prohibited in 1977.

pkbites

Open carry has NEVER been "new" in Wisconsin.

It was legal before it was recognized in the Wisconsin Constitution in Article 1 Section 25 in November of 1998 and open carry was still legal after concealed carry was statutorily prohibited in 1977.

Now this brings up an interesting question. It's always been publicized that concealed carry had been prohibited for 150 years in Wisconsin. If it has only been statutorily illegal since '77, how has it been banned for "150 years'?

Open carry under state law was always legal, but until the firearms preemption law (95?96?) many counties and municipalities had ordinances against it. Plus those that didn't cited disorderly conduct.

I proudly say that in almost 30 years of law enforcement I never arrested nor cited an open carrier. Though it was rare I did come across a few in my time. I always thought such people made my job easier by making it harder for themselves to be victims. I am so freaking glad the legislature recently tweeked the DC statute, thus acknowledging open carry as a legal, legitimate, and constitutionally protected mode of carry!

Shotgun

Wisconsin Carry, Inc.
Now this brings up an interesting question. It's always been publicized that concealed carry had been prohibited for 150 years in Wisconsin. If it has only been statutorily illegal since '77, how has it been banned for "150 years'?

Open carry under state law was always legal, but until the firearms preemption law (95?96?) many counties and municipalities had ordinances against it. Plus those that didn't cited disorderly conduct.

I proudly say that in almost 30 years of law enforcement I never arrested nor cited an open carrier. Though it was rare I did come across a few in my time. I always thought such people made my job easier by making it harder for themselves to be victims. I am so freaking glad the legislature recently tweeked the DC statute, thus acknowledging open carry as a legal, legitimate, and constitutionally protected mode of carry!

Well, I'm wondering if the good Herr HK made a typo and meant to write "1877" not 1977. 1877 would be closer to the truth.

Concealed weapons were statutorily banned in two phases. In 1872 the legislature passed a law that banned concealed weapons, leaving an exception for when "such person had reasonable cause to fear an assault or other injury or violence to his person, or to his family or property, or to any person under his immediate care or custody, or entitled to his protection or assistance, or if it be made to appear that his possession of such weapon was for a temporary purpose, and with harmless intent." Six years later, in 1878, the legislature eliminated the exceptions, prohibiting concealed weapons for all but law enforcement. That statute remained essentially unchanged until Act 35 passed last year.

So the prohibition lasted either 139 or 133 years, depending upon which date from which you measure.

pkbites

Well, I'm wondering if the good Herr HK made a typo and meant to write "1877" not 1977. 1877 would be closer to the truth.

Well, maybe. Maybe.

I remember being told all the way back in 1982...

...or was it '83? Does it matter? Really?

That one could carry a concealed weapon up until 197...whatever if they had a special letter from the Governor. Or if they were a "peace officer" which until a certain time in the 80's (in Wisconsin ) included Aldermen and such.

Things were so "back in the day" at that time.

You are, of course, understanding I am leaving out a "few" things about all this "local" nons*it", from olden days, right?